Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old November 24, 2007   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Andrey's Dwarves I am growing this winter

Andrey was kind enough to send me several new dwarves (to me) this past fall. Here are photos. Two varieties fell victim to some disease, another one I cut back and think I will get fruit. All the rest are ok. Alpha is closest to ripe fruit-a couple others are not too far behind.

Alpha is the first photo. The fruit ripening is on the bottom, left side of the plant.

Amurskiy Shtamb is the second. I planted this much later than the other varieties, but its doing well and setting fruit.

Nevskiy is the third. This is the variety that I was able to cut back and save, at least for the present.

Otradnyi is a great looking, very compact plant. Lots of fruit on it. One of the best so far of this growout for me.

Rozalinda is the next. Andrey knows my dear wife's name is Rosalina, and sent me this one-its close enough to her name, that I am growing it. Another great looking plant, fruit is going to be smaller than some of the others, at least based on what I see now. Real compact, nice foliage cover, like Otraydyl.

Rozovyi Leader is the next. Going to have pretty big fruit. Not as compact a plant as some of the others.

Taiymr is the next. Lots of fruit, may be good sized fruit in a compact plant.

Zimnyaya Vishnya is the last. Lots of decent sized fruit on another compact plant.

Hopefully, I have spelled all the varieties correctly, but if I didnt, Andrey is sure to help out.

Thanks to our tomato friend Andrey for all his help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpha (Small).jpg (39.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg amurskiy ghtamb (Small).jpg (56.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg nevskiy (Small).jpg (39.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg otradryl (Small).jpg (56.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg rosalinda (Small).jpg (46.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg rozovyi leder (Small).jpg (61.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg taimyr (Small).jpg (46.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg zimvyaya vishnya (Small).jpg (49.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by mdvpc; November 25, 2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Spelling of varieties corrected by Andrey
mdvpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2007   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael Too many very good-looking tomato plants and almost the same amount of mistakes in Russian names

Amurskiy Shtamb, Otradnyi, Rozovyi Leader, Taimyr, Zimnyaya Vishnya, Rozalinda (but, of course, have the right to call it Rosalinda ).
That's just no problem for me. I know that Russian is quite difficult to learn after English

These Russian varieties were bred mostly for our areas with short growing season, but I'm sure they will feel great in a greenhouse in Texas...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; November 25, 2007 at 10:48 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-I really flunked on the variety names. Didnt think I was that far off on all of them, but I was. I was doing the post while in the greenhouse, and was reading the variety names off the labels on the containers. I need to make sure they are spelled right when I save seed. I edited the first post to reflect the right spelling.
Old November 26, 2007   #4
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Nice to see these varieties - thanks for the pics Michael!

I lost my Zimnyaya Vishnya to stem rot unfortunately. My Roza Vetrov is doing well, and I hope to do a cross with Anna Banana Russian maybe around Christmas time.

Andrey, a question for you - is Bui Tour a Russian variety? What does the name mean? I have a successful cross getting close to turning colour with Bui Tour as the mother plant. The male partner is Russian Persimmon and I called the cross "Teary".... I thought the shape was going to be a "tear drop" but it turns out to be kind of egg shape

Patrina
Old November 26, 2007   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Patrina, yes, - Bui Tour is a Russian CV. The sounds strange in Russian, but it was bred by Voronezh AES (Verkhnr-Khavskaya EAS) in the center of Russian speaking community of Russia. But I suppose this variety can have connections with local varieties or agricultural AES or institutes from some regions like Tatarstan or Kalmykia where they have their own culture and language different from Russian. Another variety with such kind of name in my collection is Turgoyak

This is my description for Bui Tour:
mid-early, det. (40-60 cm high) tree-type, rugose leaf plant with a reliable yield of red, egg-shaped 60-100 g fruits, good flavour, has cracking and late blight genetic tolerance

Never mentioned "a tear drop" shape for it

I think there can be an interesting cross: Khurma (a.k.a Russian Persimmon) x Utyonok (that dwarf beauty with small bright-orange pointed fruits, I grew this year and posted some pics here).

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; November 26, 2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old December 28, 2007   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is some fruit from Otradnyi, picked today, 12/28/07. Weighs between 1 5/8 and 2 5/8 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Otradnyi (Small).jpg (47.1 KB, 40 views)
Old December 29, 2007   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Great, Michael. How about its taste for you?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old December 29, 2007   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-My wife and I both liked them. Cut up 2 of them in a salad from my greenhouse. Nice tomato taste, tart and sweet at the same time. Going to save seed from them for you today.
Old December 29, 2007   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Good. This is my favorite tomato taste (a well balanced tart/sweet) as well.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old December 29, 2007   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

One of the varieties is about 1 week away from having ripe fruit. Cant remember which variety it is, but its a very big determinate pink tomato. I am really looking forward to trying this one. Its the largest fruit on the smallest plant I have ever seen. Hope it tastes good.
Old December 29, 2007   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael - is it from me?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old December 29, 2007   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-Sure is. I went out and looked at the plant-its Rozovyi Leader.
Old December 30, 2007   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael - yes, you should expect pink fruits in 100-180 g league from your Rozovyi Leader (Pink Leader) plant. Is there any current photoes available?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old December 30, 2007   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-I will take a photo later today and post it. Have to leave the house for a while.
Old December 30, 2007   #15
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-Here are 2 photos- best I could do since the fruit getting ripe is around the back part of the plant. Really looking forward to trying this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rozovyi Leader 2 (Small).jpg (59.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Rozovyi Leader (Small).jpg (44.8 KB, 52 views)