Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 17, 2015   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default Best root pouch for RGGS systems

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on the brand of root pouch that would work best with an RGGS system. I'll be using the PVC pipe RGGS system if all goes according to plan.

I'd imagine punching a hole in the bottom of the root pouch would effect it's overall useful life, but I'm not sure how sturdy the pouches are since I've never bought them before. After punching a hole in the bottom and using it for a year, how many more uses would I get out of it?

I have a choice between the following 7 gallon root pouches:

Viagrow Breatheable Aeratio Root Pot ($4.50 each)

Boxer Brown Fabric Root Pouch "longest lifespan" ($3.30 each)

3-4 Year Root Pouch ($1.90 each)

If there's anyone out there who has experimented with a few brands I'd love to know what your experiences were. How truly re-usable are the root pouches once you punch a hole in the bottom for the basket? or would the hole eventually stretch after a few months requiring me to get a new bag every year? Or would they fall apart after a year or so?

I don't have a problem spending more on the viagrow or the boxer brown if they last many years longer than the inexpensive 3-4 year pouch. But if in practice they really don't have a longer lifespan I'd probably get more value out of the cheaper root pouches.

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #2
G from NC
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vespertino,
I'm experimenting with a pipe RGGS for the first time this season. I can't speak from experience but, I'll share my plan thus far and maybe we can bounce some ideas/experiences off each other. I bought 10 gal. grey Root Pouches, 3 inch net pots, a float valve, pipe etc. I built some supports for the pipe and plan to use a cattle panel as trellis.

The grey root pouches seem surprisingly sturdy. Who knows how well they will hold up to heat and UV? I cut circles out of the bottom and installed the net cups and weed control fabric a' la Larry Hall. I got a nice fit, seems sturdy.

Now I'm trying to figure out what planting mix to use. My first thought is to use the same mix I use for my Earthtainers, but I wonder if that mix is appropriate for the pouches. Any ideas?
G from NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #3
HeatherT
BANNED

I to am jumping into the RGGS, looking at 15 gal grow bags for tomatoes, 5 gal for peppers and other smaller plants. Home Depot had 5"x5"x8' PVC fence posts on clearance for 6.18 and I picked up 10, end caps were 1.88. I am thinking about putting DE in the net cups to aid in the wicking and making a tasty potting mix that is completely organic. Hope to see interest in this thread.

Heather
HeatherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I use root pouches but I put a 5-gallon bucket lid in the bottom and then I make a hole through both. I think they'll last a long time.

Heather, please watch all of Larry Hall's video on youtube. I don't think I can recommend DE in the net cups. Peppers will do just fine on 3 gallon. I am not sure you need that big of a grow bag for tomatoes... I think 7 gallons should work fine for 1 plant (I use 7 gallon for 2 plants and prune all of mine to single stem but I am less interested in quantity and more about variety for the time being.)
Old April 3, 2015   #5
G from NC
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu,

What potting mix do you use?
I'm planning to use a combination of ProMix BX : Micro Bark : Perlite (3:2:1)
Does this sound reasonable or should I consider something else?

G
Old April 3, 2015   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Hi G,
I use a basic peat-based potting mix.
Two years ago (when I first started RGGS) I just used whatever commercially bagged potting mix (Lowe's Sta-green brand or Mircle Gro) I could get and some lime & espom salt AND whatever amendments (gyp etc) with the ubiquitous ring of 10-10-10 fertilizer on top.

Last year I mixed my own using Larry Hall's DIY potting mix recipe:
2 (5-gallon bucket) peat moss, dry
2 (5-gallon bucket) rotted manure/compost
1-1/2 cup garden lime
12 cups perlite
handful epsom salt
Watch his youtube movies (like his hybrid one where he shows mixing the mix and filing each net cup - tons of info in that one, and its long.)

Ricman on here has also had much success with it. Read message #14 - his mix is 60/40 of potting mix/compost. Its not what's recommended but he seems to have done great with it.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33037

If you want to trial the 3-2-1, please let me know how it works out for you. I'm just a little worried that there might not be enough peat to do the wicking from the bottom...
Old May 9, 2015   #7
G from NC
Tomatovillian™

Default She's up and running!

Here is my hybrid RGGS. 10 gallon root pouches with a growing mix of 3:2:1 PromixBX : Micro Bark : Perlite. Included amendments per container are 1.5 cups dolomite lime, .5 cup Epsoma starter, 1.5 cups Tomatotone in a perimeter ring near the surface and some home grown worm castings. I also free-styled a wee bit with my 6 mil. black plastic covers. Seems to be wicking nicely - maybe a little to much wicking, as the bottom quarter of the root pouch seems wet to the touch. The pic is a few weeks old, everything is growing great. Next comes a trellis system! When I get back from vacation....

G

Old May 9, 2015   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

G, that is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you think of the RGGS system!
Old March 21, 2017   #9
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

Is there a water soluble food that can go right in the gutter.. I am doing wicking this year for the first time and they are wicking wonderful but wondered about the food? I bought all my bags from Mega Greenhouse and I bought the more expensive but ended up with the less. I like the less much more! They are are grey grow bags.. Nice people.. Talk to Dave..

Last edited by 2gengh; March 21, 2017 at 02:52 PM.
2gengh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017   #10
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

What is the best water soluble fertilizer to put in my wicking system. I am using root pouches with wicks and it is working wonderful but what can i add to the gutter system for fertilizer? I am thinking about Jacks (Peters) 20-20-20
Any help will be appreciated...
2gengh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017   #11
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

There are options, results posted on TV point to this being the pack leader.

2017-03-25-01-47-04.jpg
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rggs , root pouch