Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 3, 2017   #151
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Ron, 1
I'm sorry to hear about the Troforte problem. When I was looking I guess that I assumed that AU and NZ allowed the same things. My mistake. So sorry...

Cheers ~ Patti
Patti...We do not want their snakes or red back spiders and there are other things that I cannot recalll...Maybe Fruit fly.........
Now I think we did check this site out www.nutri-tech.com.au
but It may have some products and they have an agent here in NZ...

Regars Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #152
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Heres my last seedlings ....I think some of them are starting to look exactly like the previous ones ...I wonder if I should give them some MG ....

I found this
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...55104840068689

I see it does have a tomato in its photo...Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2967.jpg (184.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2969.jpg (228.2 KB, 35 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PIS_Life_Force_Gold.pdf (334.0 KB, 1 views)
Old February 4, 2017   #153
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The plant looks great after it's haircut! Ron, you have 3 main stems so I would suggest that you remove the lower one. I would also remove a set or two of leaves from the bottom of the plant to open things up more. If you do not have Murate of Potash then you could use the Sulfate of Potash in its place.

Cheers Patti
Old February 4, 2017   #154
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti ..Its our national Day tomorrow so on Tuesday I will try and find Murate of Potash..Thanks Ron
Old February 5, 2017   #155
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..Its been summer days today and yesterday and the plants are getting light and sun from aprox 6.30am til 9pm ..I noticed 3 plants quite wilted so watered them and within 15 minutes they came right...I got 5 more Plastic drums for soil storage and have just been scrubbing them out with stainless pot scrubs..

Now I have to go back over the posts and find out what your instructions were?? Cheers Ron..
Old February 5, 2017   #156
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...Oh Dear??? I have been told not to use murate of potash as its more for farmers paddocks than a greenhouse ...by the top Garden Centre here ...they told me use Sulphate of Potash??
I am luxing out my greenhouse before I do another watering with MG....I am still carefully pruning also...

Hopefully I will get time later to cook my "Xmas" dinner ....everything here has been left due to the Tomatoes ...even my Pork Shoulder Roast bought especially for Xmas dinner ...Living on frozen snack food is not good...

I had a look at the NZ website for Biologix which is the NZ agent for Australian Nutri-Tech ...what a mess it is....I do not understand how a business can have a website like they have...
Anyway I have emailed them but certainly do not hold out much hope...

Regards Ron..
Old February 5, 2017   #157
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...Started trying to clean up my wash house so that I could do some washing ..in the washing machine ..Its full of Tomato Related products and the first one I found was a bag of Sulphate of Potash .....so how do I use it and it feels like its granuled ... should I powder it ???it says
"established plants apply 50G (aprox 2 1/2 Tablespoons per Plant..)around the plants drip line..."
Lightly fork into the soil round the plant..
Water in well after application , taking care to wash any product off the plant foliage ...
Not recommended for use in pots and containers???

So the lady who said to use a pinch of it per pot may be right... cause I do not thing 2 and a 1/2 Tablespoons is a pinch ....

Regards Ron
Old February 5, 2017   #158
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron, I use Murate of Potash, but I garden in the ground. I think that it need microbes to break it down and I use mycos and beneficial bacterial, so that is what I use in my pots too. It has done well by me. However, it is great that you found your sulphate of potash! You will use that. No need to grind it up. Use this on the plants that have tomatoes forming, not on your younger plants until there is fruit set. I would use 1 Tablespoon worked into the top of the soil. You can always add some more later. In a week after you apply I would check your Ph to see if the sulpher in this has changed anything.

Enjoy your dinner. I hope that it is great ~ Patti
Old February 5, 2017   #159
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...Would it clash with MG or Calmag??? Thanks Ron
Old February 6, 2017   #160
MissS
Tomatovillian™

No it won't. It will give your plants any extra boost of Potassium. If anything, what you have to watch is using too much MG with the Calmag. Calmag boosts nitrogen uptake. That is the reason that I am searching for another fertiliser for you. I am looking for one high in the last 2 numbers and low on the first.
Old February 6, 2017   #161
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I have already given all my smaller plants MG a couple of hours ago....I actually ran out so could not do the drums (about 8 plants) so will buy more MG tomorrow so as I can water them....

So I wonder where that leaves me now as regards giving them the Sulphate of Potash......I nearly threw the Sweet 100's out when I saw the state they were in but took all the diseased branches off ....Maybe now is the time to try a bleach treatment on them to see what happens ...They are the worst plants followed by Russian Red and both were bought by myself when they were cheap from the gardening centre...In saying that a few of the Russian Red look pretty good...
The weather is still a problem but I do have a "nearly" red tomato ..Its a TT and I think on a plant that I probably also bought on the cheap...
My roast pork should be cooked and my Potatoes and Onions should not be that far away and I will do Frozen Peas in the Micro wave...My mouth is watering cause this is the first time I have actually cooked a meal for myself since Xmas Day....

Now should not I be able to ask Garden Centres here for a fertilizer with those numbers ???

Regards Ron
Old February 6, 2017   #162
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jobe-s-16-l...-7-4/999909575

Patti...Just trying to help but then I may not be....I found this but I presume you may already know about it...Its the only one I could find with a low first number....Cheers Ron
Old February 6, 2017   #163
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes Ron, I do know about Jobes. Is it available to you over there? It also has bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi. Tomato Tone or Plant Tone does as well. Is that product found over there? Many greenhouse growers use a 4-18-38 feed along with the Calmag. See how high the 3rd number is? That is what the greenhouses use to supply the potash to their plants. You can add your Potash to the soil anytime after your plants start setting fruit. Could you please tell me the numbers on your MG package so that I know what your plants are being fed?

I have been afraid to ask you to use the bleach spray, since you got so mad at me the last time that I did. Yes, The bleach spray is the best tool out there, if it is followed up with a fungicide. At least, that is my opinion on this matter....

Thanks much for the help in the search for a new feed!

Cheers ~ Patti
Old February 6, 2017   #164
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default MG..

Patti...No ..as far as I know its not available ...I will ask what the story is re the importation of this type of product...

I have posted a picture of the MG Analysis...I never realised n is so high.......
I will wait to hear from you before I buy a new packet of it just in case...
Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2970.JPG (217.4 KB, 18 views)
Old February 6, 2017   #165
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...I rang a couple of garden centres hoping they may know of a fertilizer with a NPK of 4-18-38 or similar ...one basicly hung up on me ...the other is going to ring me back.....Now I ended up at Lowe's Website having googled for Plantfood and I went through 5 pages of different plant foods looking at the nPK where available...It seems to me that some of the Flower Bloom fertilizers have a low nitrogen which made me wonder if I should check the Flower Fertilizers NPK that are on the shelves here cause I am sure there is nothing in the Tomato range...
Regards Ron