Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 16, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default crossing for flavour

Which way cross would any of you advise regarding a very sweet cherry tom , and a large heirloom variety with the aim to get the cherry type flavour into the larger variety.

Would it be better to cross the smaller cherry pollen onto the large variety, or cross the large variety pollen onto the small cherry.

I am not realy after a larger cherry type, but rather a sweeter large tomato of the heirloom type.

If I did it cherry into larger type, then back crossed the cherry into the resulting progeny would I eventualy get medium sized sweet tomatoes.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006   #2
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

I say yes. but everything might depend on the specific parents you chose.

One trick to consider is that you can keep the tomato alive by rooting some cuttings and growing them on. thus you keep the mom and or dad alive and you can cross back to the exact same mom or dad.

I dont know if this would help or not but my guess is that it would help to still have the original mom and or dad alive. I believe most genetic works talk about breeding back to the original. now I guess that can be the original exact same plant or I guess the original strain but a different exact same parent.

I dont think there is really a wrong way. the results will mostly depend on your choices as you go along. just take the best choice you can at each point.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote