Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2006   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I can't say I am enamoured with the flavor of either KB or Persimmon - I find both of them too mild (much prefer Yellow Brandywine). If I had to choose, would actually flip a coin!
Old June 22, 2006   #17
grunt
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Location: Wynndel, B.C., in the Kootenays just above the Idaho panhandle

Another one of similar appearance and even better taste
BURSZTYN Det 2 to 3 oz amber 62 days RL 10 to 15 lbs/plant. I think the 62 days is in a warmer climate than mine. Fruit is much like a smaller version of RP, with a bit more of a point, and smaller. A little more intense flavour. YB must require warmer nights than I have, as I find them a bit blander. Probably just another indicator that climate/growing conditions have an effect on the taste of the fruit.
Old June 22, 2006   #18
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Execellent, Grunt. I'm growing Bursztyn, too. (scratching head) Did I get the seeds from you?? It is showing some signs of blight more than others, tho. I sprayed it so I'm hoping the Daconil will do its thing.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2006   #19
grunt
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

lumierefrere:
Never had a problem with blight on bursztyn (or anything else). Do you use mulch at all? I find that mulching everything in the garden that I can (particularly tomatoes) seems to make a big difference as far as diseases go. I have downloaded pictures and info on identification on all of the tomato related diseases, but that's the only way I know what any of them look like. Been mulching for 25 years, including a lot of years in a cool coastal climate with lots of rain, and never had any of them show up. I am sure that one of the main reasons is the mulch preventing soil splash up on the plants. Back to the Bursztyn - - - I think you will like the taste. It is one of the most popular when we have people going through the garden for a look see (only one more popular, taste wise, is Jagodka). As for getting the seeds from me, I will have to ask the other half of the equation (Grub) if she sent you some - - - she handles the actual packaging and etc, I just process the orders (at a rate that usually means I don't remember what I've handled).
Cheers
Old June 23, 2006   #20
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

You'd mentioned Jagodka as very popular and tasty... It sounds quite strange for me because Jagodka is an ultra-early very desease tolerant Russian variety bred in 1999 for North-Western conditions of St.Peterburg and most of gardeners grow it here mostly for canning because it its oval plum shape and firm skin. Yes, it's rather sweet, but the taste is rather disputable.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2006   #21
grunt
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Extremely embarrassed self correction here. Not sure what I had on the back burners of my so called mind, but the other half of the eqation is Grungy/Val NOT Grub.
Andrey: I think this might be another example of climate affecting taste. What are your night temperatures like during the growing season in your area? Our average night temps here are usually between 12 C and 16 C all through the summer, regardless of how hot it gets during the day. I don't know why that would intensify the flavours of some varieties and reduce others, but it seems to.
Cheers

c
Old June 23, 2006   #22
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Grunt. Yup Grungy's my source. The Noir de Crimee I got from her is marvelously vibrant. Had great germination with all the seeds--so beautifully packed and labeled, too. Thank you.

The Bursztyn is in a bucket so the soil (pro-mix equivalent) shouldn't be a problem. It's not in trouble at all so not to worry. Last year was the first I noticed blight in any way so this year I put down black plastic and hay on the paths. There should be minimal splashing. Thus far (fingers crossed) there is less problem than last year but I also went right to the Daconil this year.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2006   #23
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Grunt, I grew RP, and I agree with you. It has a very tart taste. It's one on need to grow again.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2006   #24
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

At nights we have:
Second half of May: +5 C+10 C
June: +8 C+16 C
July & August: + 16 +20 C
Late August: + 8 + 16 C

But I think our main problem is constantly high humidity during the July and August when it's usually play in one team with blights and other deseases.

By the way, Khurma (aka Hurma aka Persimmon aka Russian Persimmon) tomato was bred by Russian gardener N.P.Kustov from the small town Babushkin. This tomato variety is an oldtime favorite among our gardeners along with Bull's Heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Andrey: I think this might be another example of climate affecting taste. What are your night temperatures like during the growing season in your area? Our average night temps here are usually between 12 C and 16 C all through the summer, regardless of how hot it gets during the day. I don't know why that would intensify the flavours of some varieties and reduce others, but it seems to. Cheers

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #25
geoguy_TN
Tomatovillian™

My persimmon is about 8' tall and pumping out the fruit. I like the tast and my wife really likes it - it is her favorite of the year so far. Looks like I will be growing it again next year :wink: . Tomatoes are in the 1# 3 oz range with some noticeably larger. This plant is a monster.