Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 16, 2008   #1
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Default ? x Earl's Faux F2

An accidental cross of Earl's Faux a couple of years ago in my garden yielded an RL plant which I grew out and saved seeds from last year. This year I am growing out 8 F2 plants. 7 are RL and one is PL. The PL has med-lg yellow fruit and all of the others look like they will be reddish/pink (not all ripe - very late season this year)

I just tased the only fully ripe one, which was from an RL plant, slightly oblate, large red/pink with a slightly orangish inside. I was totally blown away by the flavor. An absolute blockbuster! Deep, rich, balanced and a loooong finish. I keep lousy records so I don't have many good guesses as to the mystery parent. Also it wasn't mealy, which is very rare for large tomatoes grown in my cool climate. Anyway, I'm still kind of excited by the taste of that mater. I'm saving seeds and will devote a good amount of space to F3 seeds next year.

Paul
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2008   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

A happy accident. Nice one.
Old August 17, 2008   #3
dice
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like this one might be needing a name. Earl's Foxx?
(Maybe too close to the original; it would give people
Googling fits.)
Old August 23, 2008   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Paul, you could call it Pbudfo. :-)

In 2009, I'd like to grow out a couple plants of that one that tasted so good if you can spare a couple seeds.
Old July 21, 2009   #5
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Earl -- lol.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post until today!! I would have been pleased to send you seeds.

I'd be more than happy to send you some F3 seeds from this year's grow out. I've got a few different lines of that cross growing this year and I'll post a description of what comes out and send you seeds for any of the varieties that you're interested in. I could also send you F2 seeds. Just let me know.

Paul
Old August 2, 2009   #6
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple pictures of one of the lines of this cross that I'm growing out that's producing heart shaped tomatoes. Can't wait to taste this one!

pics slightly out of focus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery x earlsfaux f3.jpg (53.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg mysteryxearlsfaux f3.jpg (40.8 KB, 14 views)