Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 7, 2013   #16
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Thanks for the update....but I take it that it was too hot for potato berries?
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #17
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Got one! Better than none at least!! Unknown father. Could get a few more from the Burlaps, a few plants still blooming. More chance of some at the High School plot which has lots of flowers now. Trying to cross a few there when I get the chance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potato seed ball.jpg (62.3 KB, 26 views)
Stimacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #18
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Should get a few more potato seedballs at the high school plot. Lots more bees about there. plants are flowering. A few seedballs already. Tried crossing a few. If I get the chance I'll try crossing some of your lines I'm growing with the local varieties still with flowers. Some of Toms TPS are close to flowering. Weather a bit cooler.
Old June 26, 2013   #19
MusicManC
Tomatovillian™

Default Potatoes

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to growing, I also live in Japan, Tokyo. Just had to dig my plant, it got blight, I was growing potatoes in a container on my balcony, do you think its too late to get some more growing this time of the year, we have a pretty hot summer as you know and warm weather until October, Tomato plants are doing well as is my herbs

cheers
MusicManC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #20
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Musicman I think you can certainly grow Tats in Tokyo. You will need to go for an Autumn planting now. You can order various kinds on the Net such as Rakuten. DIY shops will stock a few kinds late August. Best go for an Autumn crop. Maybe planting mid September. Should get something by December. Done it here in Nagano where it gets frost much earlier. If you want to be adventurous you could order a packet or two of Tom Wagners seeds. Plant them and try and grow them over tge next two months and then plant them in growbags or a big container or six ! on your balcony.
Old June 27, 2013   #21
MusicManC
Tomatovillian™

Cheers Stimacked, so if i planted now is the summer too hot? Sorry i have no idea lol, just planted some chilies, hope they grow
Old June 27, 2013   #22
MusicManC
Tomatovillian™

Can you please also tell me how you got an allotment? city office perhaps? or private land rental? cheers
Old July 1, 2013   #23
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Yep its too hot. Wait until September. You should have no trouble growing potatoes in Tokyo area up to December, unless there is a freak cold snap with frost. Even then, you can protect them with that fleece stuff. I got my plot from the City yep. Seems like they become available in March. You'll have to investigate at your local city office.