Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old November 7, 2015   #16
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I know the Japanese and Chinese types (all purple eggplants) all turn brown after cooking.
I seem to remember white and green eggplants retain their color.

I grew Kamo this year. It turned brown after cooking. Fairytale turned brown too.

I think all purples eggplants turn brown.

I like them grilled or stuffed. We stuff them, then stir fry. Makes an awesome dish. But it still turns brown.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2015   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

Scott, or anyone who has grown several of the varieties, what are the taste and texture differences for you?

I've only grown the old fashioned Black Beauty one and it did well, but maybe another variety would be good too. I like to grill them as well as make lasagna with it, or of course the must have eggplant parmesan.

Does eggplant cubes or slices can well? maybe in a chicken stock?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2015   #18
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Scott, or anyone who has grown several of the varieties, what are the taste and texture differences for you?

I've only grown the old fashioned Black Beauty one and it did well, but maybe another variety would be good too. I like to grill them as well as make lasagna with it, or of course the must have eggplant parmesan.

Does eggplant cubes or slices can well? maybe in a chicken stock?
My mom boils eggplants first, than cuts them in cubes. Also, cuts in cubes onion, sweet pepper. All that is stir-fryd in oil with one tomato added for acidity. Salt, hot pepper (if you like), garlic and parsley (at the end).
She freezes it in a plastic containers or a bag. Great dish to eat at winter wormed up with a slice of bread or mashed-potatoes.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #19
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

Great looking eggplants. Thanks for sharing. These pics were taken in August 2015? What is an eggplant DTM? Please advise.

BTW, are you offering any seeds with a SASE?
ibraash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #20
DaveWill
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Iraq Eggplant Is On Top

Folks, here are several varieties of eggplants from my garden here in Atlanta this year. I am very pleased with the Iraq eggplant whose seeds that my friend Adil Alami عادل اللامي got for me in Baghdad - big, meaty, with a flat bottom that makes it easier to slice for the grill.

By contrast, the Kurdish eggplant is smaller and late. Who would have guessed that eggplants are political?
Hi, your "Iraqi" eggplant looks like my Aswad Iraqi variety from Baker Rare seeds. Is it the same or have you a different variety. I have had great success with Aswad here in the AZ desert. Maybe because our climate is the same as Iraq - very hot and dry. I protected last year's plants from the little frost we had in November and now I am getting a great harvest from the new growth. Some of the fruit are quite green as opposed to the deep purple last year. Any ideas?
DaveWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Fairy Tale eggplant this year https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/eg...rod000709.html Someone here said it was a good seller at market, so we shall see. I don't really eat eggplant so I didn't want to grow the big ones, they dont sell well either. The only other eggplants I have seen sell are Rosa Bianca.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #22
taboule
Tomatovillian™

>>> "Iraqi" eggplant looks like my Aswad Iraqi variety

FYI, Aswad in Arabic means black, so it is black Iraqi.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #23
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I don't know - my seeds came from Baghdad in a seed envelope that says, "eggplant."
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #24
DaveWill
Tomatovillian™

Hi Scott,
I have had really good luck with my Aswad seeds from Bakers. But not so much with the Iraqi Abu Rawan Red Tomato seeds from Bakers. Supposed to be heat resistant. Maybe so, but the flavor was really bland and the tomatoes were really small. Maybe I was too harsh on the seeds: planted them directly in seed mix on straw bales. They came up OK but that was about it. Maybe I did not give them enough water and/or fertilizer.
Scott, do you have any recommendations for Iraqi tomatoes or any other hot weather plants?
Best regards
Dave
Old May 5, 2016   #25
DaveWill
Tomatovillian™

Hi Imp,
I have grown Black Beauty, Aswad, Ping Tung and Millionaire and several other varieties. We prefer the Aswad from Baker Rare Seeds as the fruit are huge, the skin thin and the flesh very sweet and tender. We are getting at least one large fruit per week and enjoy it sliced thick and fried with garlic and olive oil then served with pasta and tomato sauce. We had way too many Japanese long thin from the Ping Tung and Millionaire and gave bags of them away. The thin ones are fine in stir fry.
Old May 5, 2016   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to have to try this Aswad.
I've read that eggplant doesn't or maybe can't be canned. But it freezes well when cooked. Baba ganoush will freeze really well and I think I've seen canning recipes for it.
I fermented mine into a pickle last time I had too many and they were really delicious.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #27
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
I want to grow some eggplants in buckets next season and have a few questions. Can the eggplant be grown a 3.5 gallon bucket or a 5.0 gallon bucket? What is the preferred container media? Store bought or home brew mix?

If anyone has any extra seeds they could spare I would appreciate them. Prefer the following along with any starting/planting/growing/harvesting advice. I am in 7b in the North Carolina Piedmont.

Lavender Touch
Peng Tung
Rosa Bianca
Florida Market*
Listada de Gandia
Kamo
Italian White
Round Mauve
Japanese Millionaire

Successfully grew clemson spineless okra last season (4 plants/5 gallon bucket, top watering).

Thanks in advance, just PM me for an address. Have rooster spur, yellow ghost, mexibell, serrano pepper seeds and marmande tomato seeds to trade.
I'll check my seeds,I may have a few of these.
I'm wanting to try Rosa Bianca and a small,round Thai version. The round Thai eggplants are delicious in green curry but I've never grown them.
Old May 22, 2016   #28
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

It is Ok to can eggplant but it loses it's color, and is better in casseroles when used

Use hot pack only, wash, slice or cube eggplant. Soak for about 20 minutes in I quart of water with 1 tablespoon of salt, drain. Then put in fresh water with 1 tablespoon lemon juice simmer for 5 minutes .Drain. Fill clean hot sterilized jars leaving 1 inch of headroom, add fresh boiling water but no salt put lids on Using pressure canner only , pressure process at 10 pounds , pints for 30 minutes, quarts for 40 minutes ,Remove jars . Find what adjustments you need for your altitude, the recipe is based on sea level ( below 1000 feet)
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWill View Post
Hi, your "Iraqi" eggplant looks like my Aswad Iraqi variety from Baker Rare seeds. Is it the same or have you a different variety. I have had great success with Aswad here in the AZ desert. Maybe because our climate is the same as Iraq - very hot and dry. I protected last year's plants from the little frost we had in November and now I am getting a great harvest from the new growth. Some of the fruit are quite green as opposed to the deep purple last year. Any ideas?
I've had the purple eggplants be green in the heat of AZ during summer, although I grew them against a brick wall so it got really hot.
I had one eggplant and some peppers live 5 years outdoors and we're going strong when we moved.
I made some salt fermented pickles that were delicious one summer. Eggplant dries well,too.
It's a nice meat substitute because it has a texture sort of like a portobellos or even tofu. It's pretty flavor neutral,picks up the flavors of your sauce and spices really nicely and can be cubed,sliced,puréed.

Last edited by Tracydr; May 22, 2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old May 22, 2016   #30
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I've had the purple eggplants be green in the heat of AZ during summer, although I grew them against a brick wall so it got really hot.
I had one eggplant and some peppers live 5 years outdoors and we're going strong when we moved.
I made some salt fermented pickles that were delicious one summer. Eggplant dries well,too.
It's a nice meat substitute because it has a texture sort of like a portobellos or even tofu. It's pretty flavor neutral,picks up the flavors of your sauce and spices really nicely and can be cubed,sliced,puréed.
Tracy, you reminded me one more tasty way to prepare eggplant.
Boil in salted water first. Drain. Put between cutting boards with something heavy on the top to reduce liquid. When cooled, puree. Add fresh garlic and mayo. Refrigerate, done. Great with mushed potatoes or on the toasted bread. Better served cold.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote