Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 9, 2011   #1
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Default 2011 Eggplant & Pepper Price Suggestions

What are folks getting around the country for eggplants and peppers at market? I have about 40 varieties of eggplants, peppers and hot peppers, and the fruit are going to be ready for market soon, so I need to have a ballpark price for them.

I've been selling my heirloom tomatoes in small bowls that hold about 3 cups, and those are doing well at $4 / bowl, not even filled to overflowing. Not bad for small early tomatoes when my competitor farmers are selling softball size reds for $3/quart (~5 toms). It's all about the free sample slices!

Anyway, those farmers have brought Black Beauty type eggplants to market, but not the other dozen + varieties I will have soon. They've brought sweet and hot banana peppers, and green and yellow bell peppers, but again, not all of the types I will have.

One thing I need to do is weigh a typical bowl of each, to see what a per pound price might be based on what a per bowl price is. My market is all about the volume, though, not the weight. This is just for my own understanding and comparisons to the local grocery store.

While I'm asking for pricing suggestions, if any of you sell carrots, feel free to include your suggestions for those as well.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Suze; August 9, 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: thread title
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011   #2
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I know I put 2012 as the thread title. Sorry. My real job is budgeting, and I've been typing 2012 all day for work.

If anyone can tell me how to correct the thread title, please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old August 9, 2011   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i sell jalapenos for $3/pint, anaheims and poblanos for $3/quart- mix and match hots (wide variety all the way up to jolokia) 6/$1.

nadia and clara eggplant of decent size a buck apiece, orient express eggplant 2/$1.

heirloom tomatoes go for $2/# at our market about an hour south of DC. cherry tomatoes $3/pint, juliets $4/quart.

my neighbor sells certified organic heirlooms in the city of DC for $5/pound!!!!! (and sells a lot of them)
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I will have to see what hot peppers and eggplant are going for at the Raleigh market when I shop there this weekend. I do know that German Johnson and other non-hybrid tomatoes (a few Cherokee Purples are starting to sneak in) go for 2.69 to 2.89/lb. I am sure hot peppers and eggplant are sold by the pound.
Old August 9, 2011   #5
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i would be selling my eggplant by the pound but i fried my scale and haven't gotten it fixed yet...

i've been to the raleigh market- it's a good one.

everybody and their brother have heirlooms at our market... i'm going to cut back on them next year...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011   #6
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input! Appreciate the help.