Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 11, 2016   #31
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Is it sticky too.
Nah, it's just a rubber strip on a long roll. Staples hold it down. Stapling the plastic directly doesn't hold up very well. You can also use screws with lathe strips of wood, same concept, but batten tape and staples are cheaper.

I've been moving away from wiggle wire and the metal channel to hold plastic down, just to save money. Boards and screws are cheaper. Wiggle wire does wear plastic a little, too. When you install it, there's no need to stretch it especially right, or else it will just tear the plastic around the wire.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!!
For what I have in mind I will only be able to put up clear what ever on two sides.
The main side is south east and the other is at the end of that at south west.
Plus the top of course.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #33
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
I decided to go with Johnnyseed's Gothic Arch Bender. I drafted a "wall section" plan and will be applying for building permit tomorrow. According to city building and zoning folks, I'm cleared for a greenhouse on my lot as long as it for personal, not commercial use. I'm going to be ★★★★ed if there is a snafu in getting the permit, I just placed a Johnnyseeds order!

32' Long X 14' Wide X ~9.5' Tall at center
double layer clear 6 mil poly film. Johnnyseeds spacer blocks between layers
Roll-up sides
End walls will be identical; treated 2x4, covered with clear rigid roofing panel (home depot)
I'll get used storm doors on craigslist
I hate quoting myself, but... I'm P*****, there was a snafu down at City Hall today. Took the required 3 sets of plans (they are one page back on this thread) along with bldg. permit form.

I was told that since there is no building code for greenhouses, they all have to be stamped by an engineer.

The irony is that I work for an engineering firm, but none of my co-workers are registered in Nebr. so they cannot stamp my drawings. I have a few more contacts, but after their review, I'm sure there will be some modifications.

I'll updated after the architectural review.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
I hate quoting myself, but... I'm P*****, there was a snafu down at City Hall today. Took the required 3 sets of plans (they are one page back on this thread) along with bldg. permit form.

I was told that since there is no building code for greenhouses, they all have to be stamped by an engineer.

The irony is that I work for an engineering firm, but none of my co-workers are registered in Nebr. so they cannot stamp my drawings. I have a few more contacts, but after their review, I'm sure there will be some modifications.

I'll updated after the architectural review.
That blows where I live the guy that signs off knows me and it takes like 5 minutes or less.
I also have his personal cell phone number but he is not a hick by any stretch of the imagination.
He will come out and inspect your work.

Worth
Old February 13, 2016   #35
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

First thought is just more municipal meddling, but it's a good safeguard. Lots of junk out there, where they mimic design and materials and come up short in the translation. Especially on the finer points, like installation, and frost heaving. You've got a good product pecker, I'd feel okay if it were next door to me.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #36
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

update, 21 Feb:

Turns out the HOA president of our neighborhood is a civil/geotechnical engineer who enjoys gardening. I met with him yesterday and we are working on a set of plans to appease the folks down at city hall.

I also did quite a bit of research into hoop house structures and found the kits you buy on Rimol or Farmtek are made from 1-5/8" diameter 14 gauge (0.085" wall thickness) galvanized steel tubing.

The Johnny Seeds hoop bender manual that I ordered/received says to use 1-3/8" galvanized tubing commonly found in hardware stores chainlink fence section. Its residential grade top rail and it's either 17 or 18 gauge depending on the store. I would imagine that JohnnySeeds is marketing to the DIY'er who doesn't have to deal with building code at City Hall. For my purposes, this would never fly so mods. will be necessary.

I called a few chainlink fence companies locally and they were well aware of the heavier 14 gauge "commercial grade" chain link fence tubing and can get via special order.

So, long story longer, the engineer is comfortable with me replicating the Rimol or Farmtek commercial greenhouse frames that use the 1-5/8" 14 gauge tubing that I can special order from fence company. I will also need a cross brace and additional truss supports, everything 14 ga.

I'm updating my plans for engineer review/stamp today so I'll upload here when done.

Last edited by pecker88; February 21, 2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old February 21, 2016   #37
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking you might have hit a snag. Well, it's going to be a nice greenhouse.

Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #38
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

My Amish catalog sells individual tunnel parts. They list a 16' wide, 1 piece bow 1.315" 14 ga., for $33.50..
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016   #39
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Why not just buy the kit from Rimol or farmtek?
It has everything you need and I bet it would be cheaper (now that u have to buy heavier gauge) and larger than DIY.
Plus you save your TIME in not reinventing the wheel. I can't imagine bending the 14 gauge pipes myself.
You can get a 14'x36'x9.5' high, gothic frame kit for 1,775 from farmtek

Last edited by PureHarvest; February 22, 2016 at 07:59 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016   #40
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

You can get a 15x48 frame with double plastic and blower for 2,156 from rimol (catamount series).
It would be a tad low, but you could get longer ground sockets to lift it higher.
Your numbers earlier indicated 2,358 in costs plus you have to make everything.
Old February 22, 2016   #41
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Why not just buy the kit from Rimol or farmtek?
It has everything you need and I bet it would be cheaper (now that u have to buy heavier gauge) and larger than DIY.
Plus you save your TIME in not reinventing the wheel. I can't imagine bending the 14 gauge pipes myself.
You can get a 14'x36'x9.5' high, gothic frame kit for 1,775 from farmtek
Reasons:
1. I already purchased the $100 bender from JS

2. The $1775 kit you mentioned above does not include the truss supports that engineer requires. I believe I saw them in the magazine for >$150 each, that equates to another $1650

3. Shipping costs are likely $500+. Other option is to make a 13 hr. round trip drive to Eastern IA.
Old February 22, 2016   #42
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
You can get a 15x48 frame with double plastic and blower for 2,156 from rimol (catamount series).
It would be a tad low, but you could get longer ground sockets to lift it higher.
Your numbers earlier indicated 2,358 in costs plus you have to make everything.
Same issues again. The Catamount series uses 1-3/8" 17 gauge pipe that doesn't meet 90 mph wind and snow load for Neb. I would never get an engineer to stamp that design.

Shipping is a bigger issue with Rimol, I believe the quote I got from them was over $1000 since it's coming from NH.

Last edited by pecker88; February 22, 2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old February 22, 2016   #43
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Gotcha.
Old February 22, 2016   #44
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

I gotta say, I am sure there are some good points, but I would go crazy having to get permission for anything and everything I do on MY property.
In my county, there is no zoning at all, no permits for anything except a septic system which has to be inspected and approved. Other than that, the county feels that since it is my property, I should be able to do what I want on it without there permission

and, since I live on a farm about 2 miles from town, there isn't any HOA either
Old February 22, 2016   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doss View Post
I gotta say, I am sure there are some good points, but I would go crazy having to get permission for anything and everything I do on MY property.
In my county, there is no zoning at all, no permits for anything except a septic system which has to be inspected and approved. Other than that, the county feels that since it is my property, I should be able to do what I want on it without there permission

and, since I live on a farm about 2 miles from town, there isn't any HOA either
I looked for a while on the Lincoln Nebraska website for something to help.
What a conglomerated red tape nightmare.

My question is there has to be people that buy these things there and put them up.

Something doesn't smell right to me almost like a wild goose chase down red tape lane.

Worth