Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2021   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Good Source for Indian Stripe PL

Indian Stripe PL is mentioned a lot, and I find plenty of sources for Indian Stripe, but none have the designation "PL" for "potato leaf." I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to a good source for acquiring good and true Indian Stripe PL.

Thank you!
Don
Old March 26, 2021   #2
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Since I haven't gotten any replies about Indian Stripe Potato Leaf, I'll ask if any members here have some for trade or sale. And also, since I can't find the potato leaf version, is there a lot of difference in the regular leaf Indian Stripe and the potato leaf?
Old March 27, 2021   #3
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

PM me your address and I'll get some in the mail for you.
Shawn
Old March 27, 2021   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I sent you a PM FarmerShawn. Did you receive it?
Old March 27, 2021   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I found them in a planting of regular Indian Stripe plants with this one potato leaf plant that I decided to grow out and see what it was. It seemed like the same fruit only from a more productive and vigorous potato leaf plant so I saved the seed and sent a few hundred to Carolyn and she had them grown out. The plants all came out true to type and she confirmed to me it was just a potato leaf version of Indian Stripe and she distributed the seed. I may even have some of the original seed saved from that first plant. I would have to check but they would be very old and might not germinate. Let me know if you want some seed and I will send you some. They can be an amazing fall tomato especially during a dry spell when nothing else seems to produce.

A little warning they can be very susceptible to gray mold. Despite that I find them year in and year out the most productive black tomato I have ever grown. They are almost as good as JD's Special C Tex but far more dependable a producer though the fruit is not as large.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2021   #6
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Ok, Don, your seeds are packed and ready to go out in Monday's mail. I have to say, I've been growing them out every year ever since I got them from Carolyn, always marked Indian Stripe PL, and they are a favorite of mine every year, but to be honest, with around 350 varieties, I just haven't paid much attention as to whether they are still actually PL! So I sure hope they really are what you are looking for. They should be!
Old March 28, 2021   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I found them in a planting of regular Indian Stripe plants with this one potato leaf plant that I decided to grow out and see what it was. It seemed like the same fruit only from a more productive and vigorous potato leaf plant so I saved the seed and sent a few hundred to Carolyn and she had them grown out. The plants all came out true to type and she confirmed to me it was just a potato leaf version of Indian Stripe and she distributed the seed. I may even have some of the original seed saved from that first plant. I would have to check but they would be very old and might not germinate. Let me know if you want some seed and I will send you some. They can be an amazing fall tomato especially during a dry spell when nothing else seems to produce.

A little warning they can be very susceptible to gray mold. Despite that I find them year in and year out the most productive black tomato I have ever grown. They are almost as good as JD's Special C Tex but far more dependable a producer though the fruit is not as large.

Bill
Hi Bill, roughly what year are your seeds? I’d love to trade you for a few if you have some left
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2021   #8
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thank you FarmerShawn! That is very generous of you and I greatly appreciate it.
Don
Old March 28, 2021   #9
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone, I wish a good harvest

Last edited by Baikal; March 28, 2021 at 12:16 PM.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2021   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I grow Indian Stripe RL. There will probably be some preserved gene somewhere, so Bill found Indiann Stripe PL. It reminds me of Cherokee Purple, when she also found a PL plant in a similar way (see Tatiana´s TOMATObase). I also have a Cherokee Jumbo from Darrel, but I don't know what leaves it will have yet.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2021   #11
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I grow them every year. Can't get them off my list. They produce early, and are a real champ in the summer heat down here. Probably my most productive plant.
Old March 29, 2021   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I usually keep seeds from what I call "happy accidents" which are plants with the wrong leaf type that I either planted out by accident or curiosity that produced really well. I will keep planting them to see if they remain true to type and continue to be very good producers. I am still planting a black version of German Johnson PL that cropped up and I am still not sure whether it is a cross or not so I continue to plant it. I also have a regular leaf version of Kentucky Wonder that is far more productive than the normal PL version. Last year I got a regular leaf version of Marianna's Peace that far out performed the PL version so I will try it again this year to see if it is true to type.

I have been doing this since I started growing heirlooms and only occasionally does it work out really good like with the Indian Stripe PL but it is part of the fun of growing heirlooms. When it is the result of a cross that is inferior to the original or inconsistent in type or production I just toss the seeds. I know that these types of accidents happen with many others saving seeds and it would be prudent to toss seedlings that are of the wrong leaf type especially regular leaf from potato leaf parents but sometimes the accident seedlings are just so much more vigorous that I can't help but try out one or two of them to see what happens.

Bill
Old March 29, 2021   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Bill, roughly what year are your seeds? I’d love to trade you for a few if you have some left
KarenO
Karen I checked my seed supply and found that I had seeds saved from 2014, 2016 and I saved a lot from last year 2020 because my supply was running really low. I will gladly send you some of each to try. I sent out a lot of seeds of Indian Stripe PL to friends and acquaintances that wanted to try and the ones that contacted me later told me they all came out potato leaf and were very good and productive. I don't know how well they do up north because I find that they taste far better in the heat of our southern summer than in the early spring. They are usually one of the earliest producers in the spring but if the weather is still a bit cool they they seem a bit blah compared to later when the temps get really hot. ISPL has been my most productive tomato for mid and late summer production and it is probably the variety that I plant the most because finding tomato varieties that will still produce in decent numbers down here when the temps hover near 100 is difficult.

Just PM me your mailing address and I will send you some.

Bill