Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2021   #1
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Default your best Orange beefsteak?

I'm looking for recommendations on orange beefsteak varieties. Only your "best of show". If you could only grow one proven variety, what would it be? It would need to be productive and delicious (which for me means strong tomato flavor with a balance of sweet and some tartness).

I'm about to start my tomato seeds for this year and I have really cut back on space devoted to growing tomatoes. I'm down to growing about 6 plants, which are favorite varieties with a variety of colors, but I have yet to find an orange beefsteak that is a standout for me in terms of both taste and production. I've tried several over the years, but some of the commonly named favorites (e.g., Kellogg's Breakfast) seem to need something I don't have (more warmth?). And hearts don't seem to love my climate, or how I grow them, or both, so that rules out some commonly mentioned favorite oranges varieties like Orange Strawberry.

Thanks!
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Well, your comments discourage my top two recommendations. Top is a Kellogg's Breakfast cross called KBX. Next is a heart called Orange Russian 117. Beyond that, I really like Gold Medal, though it is a bit late for me, so I grow it in my greenhouse mostly. Moonglow is a really nice, good tasting, productive, medium sized round one.
Old April 10, 2021   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I too would have recommended Orange Strawberry, although Kellogg's Breakfast didn't grow well for me.

I was going to suggest Moonglow (if you don't mind "tart") as it was extremely productive for me, but they are medium in size.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #4
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses.

I might have to give KBX a try. I know I have seeds, but had ruled it out because I assumed it would perform like Kellogg's Breakfast. I've read it isn't very productive. Has it been productive for you, FarmerShawn?

I grew Orange Strawberry last year and really enjoyed the flavor, but it was very unproductive for me.

Is Moonglow sweet and tart, or just tart?
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #5
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange

Trying Amana Orange for the first time as well Lucky Cross, Hillbilly and 18 of my yellow/red from saved seed that might be Mister Stripey. I have been growing these for about 8 yrs. Suckered to 2-3 stems, they make about 4-6 fruit per plant that avg 18 oz. These are harvested by early Aug and then EB takes over. I will have 11 total cultivars totally 80 plants if everything germinates and I can find 8-12 Big Beef at the market. I had seed but not enough equipment to grow all in my basement. Bought a new 4ft shop light fixture for T8 bulbs and am ready to roll. 20 are already under lights and 54 in the spare bedroom just seeded in the last three days. Now its Roto Tiller time...ugh!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I found Moonglow very tart. I do like tomatoes with a "complex" taste, not simply sweet. At least they were great for sauce .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #7
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

We like Yellow Brandywine Platfoot, KBX is good, Amana Orange is good but stingy for me. We do the best with YBW overall.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hmm I personally don’t consider bicolour tomatoes orange although they can look “orangy “
Orange Jazz is really great and it was developed in California so it may well be a good one for your climate.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

You might want to try Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi, could do well in your climate. For some reason, the first fruit on mine was scabby and tasted terrible, but later tomatoes were very prolific and good taste.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Altaiskiy_Oranzhevyi

If you want a dwarf project tomato, Dwarf Blazing Beauty has excellent flavor.

Another nice one is Queen Marbena, seeds not easily available, but you can pm me if you are interested. Most are medium sized, but some large ones also.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #10
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried Orange Minsk ....... grew it in 2009 and it was productive here in PNW

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Minsk
Old April 10, 2021   #11
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Tilling

Neighbor came by and worked up my 40x40 with his tractor saving me a lot of hard work. Eager to get started now.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #12
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

KBX is a favorite at our place.
Old April 10, 2021   #13
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

virginia sweets is an orange bi color streaked with red i have grown that is good.
honey and sugar is a big orange that i grew from a carolyn seed offer. it was big,
and juicy, but late for my neck of the woods.

keith
Old April 10, 2021   #14
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Orange Jazz. Very tasty and productive in my garden. Had one tomato over 2 lbs.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

sweet ozark orange is one of my favorites. I grow it every year.