Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 25, 2011   #1
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate/Excel Not Working

I tried the Biotamax/mychro bucket dip at transplant. Plus a second application as a drench a few days later. Applied the Excel/Actinovate spray and then 8 solid days of rain. Two sepearte sprays in past 10 days. Septoria reigns supreme on half of my 28 varieties. I removed all the affected leaves. JD’S Special C-Tex and Claude Brown's Yellow Giant are mostly sticks now with just a few leaves on the top. Any ideas to get my plants through the next few days? Dry weather will arrive next week....
Old May 25, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

BigdaddyJ,

I think your description of "8 days of rain" explains it. Sounds like the BiotaMax / Actinovate / Excel simply leached out from the root ball. It takes a while for the Actinovate to attach to the root structure and commence to do its thing.

I would just re-apply and hope for drier weather, going forward.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011   #3
tedln

Bigdaddy,

I have also been fighting the septoria on my plants. Some of my so called "disease resistant" varieties including hybrids have almost been denuded of foliage. I don't do any pretreatment of my seedlings and usually expect some limited septoria to occur during the cool moist spring months. I haven't worried much about it in the past, because it usually only gets the lower branches before the hot, dry weather of June arrives.

I soaked my garden with the bleach treatment (eight ounces of bleach per gallon of water) B54red uses. We got 1/2" of rain later in the evening. I hope three hours was sufficient time for the bleach to do it's job. I then soaked my garden with Daconil this morning. I'm hoping the combination of bleach treatment and Daconil treatment help to control it. I think the upcoming dry weather and high temps will do the job. I also hope my plants have the ability this year to re-foliate as they have in past years.

So far the septoria hasn't effected the production or quality of my tomatoes, but I will have to put some sun screen over a few plants to protect the tomatoes from sun scald.

Ted
Old May 25, 2011   #4
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

Go get some Green Cure
http://www.greencure.net/

What plant diseases does GreenCure control?

Anthracnose
Alternaria Blight
Ascochyta Blight
Black Spot
Botrytis Blight
Botrytis Grey Mold
Cercospora Leaf Blight
Corynespora Leaf Spot
Didymellina Leaf Spot
Diplodia Tip BlightDowny Mildew
Entomosporium Leaf Spot
Fusarium
Helminthosporium Leaf Spot
Ink Spot
Molilinea Fruit & Blossom Rot
Penicillium spp.
Phomopsis Blight
Phytophthora
Powdery Mildew
Ovulinia sp.
Ramularia Leaf Spot
Ray Blight
Rust
Scab
Septoria Leaf Spot
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011   #5
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, thanx for the advice. I intend to keep up the treatments. A couple weeks and being hit with an 8 day monsson is not a fair trial. Next two days call for storms but then clear sailing. We did get a nice break today.

Ted, same here. Septoria had never had too great an impact on my production either in the past but this season's start is sure troubling. Mine usually re-foliate when the weather cooperates like yours do. And yeah now I have a couple sticks out there... Never heard of a bleach treatment???

Never heard of Green Care either? Antone here have positive results with it? Sounds like a miracle cure...
Old May 25, 2011   #6
tedln

Bigdaddy,

I always bleach treat hard to germinate seed and it seems to help a lot. B54red had been talking about his method of using 8 oz of bleach in 1 gal of water to spray his plants and says it helps. My philosophy is if it doesn't hurt the plants, it just might oxidize some septoria spores. I tried it and it didn't hurt the plants but it was washed off by rain three hours later. It has to be better than not using it. I then covered the healthy growth and the naked stems with Daconil to help prevent re-infection from the spores. I will give it a week and treat the soil around the plants with a slightly stronger bleach solution. It may not be necessary because all the run off from the first spray probably helped kill spores on the soil which washed down from the infected leaves. I plan on bleach treating the plants and then reapplying the daconil until the weather gets really hot and dry.

Ted
Old May 25, 2011   #7
brog
Tomatovillian™

What does the bleach treatment do to actinovate thats been on 5-6 days. Bill
Old May 25, 2011   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brog View Post
What does the bleach treatment do to actinovate thats been on 5-6 days. Bill
Probably kill any microbes still on the leaves.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote