Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2016   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Confused, please educate me. Giant Italain Piriform

I am sure that there was some confusion about this one somewhere . I have these seeds which were was sent from a friend it Italy some years ago. The name above is what was written on the actual commercial packet I got , that I am certain of and I am fairly certain think it may have been Franchis but not 100%. I shared them but gave the other person the packet and I kept my half in a plastic bag and copied the name. . To the best of my recollection I have never grown them. I think the reason was because I could not find the actual seed name when I thought of doing so and kind of passed them by. I have sown some this year, they are pretty old, the germination was very poor but I got a few.

I have tried once or twice to identify them but still end up confused. All I can say at this point is they are regular leaf.

Does anyone have any info to educate me please

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I am sure that there was some confusion about this one somewhere . I have these seeds which were was sent from a friend it Italy some years ago. The name above is what was written on the actual commercial packet I got , that I am certain of and I am fairly certain think it may have been Franchis but not 100%. I shared them but gave the other person the packet and I kept my half in a plastic bag and copied the name. . To the best of my recollection I have never grown them. I think the reason was because I could not find the actual seed name when I thought of doing so and kind of passed them by. I have sown some this year, they are pretty old, the germination was very poor but I got a few.

I have tried once or twice to identify them but still end up confused. All I can say at this point is they are regular leaf.

Does anyone have any info to educate me please

XX Jeannine
Jeaninne,it's known by several names and here's an older link that I think explains it very well and gives examples.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11937

And some pictures and articles from which the above link was taken

https://www.google.com/search?q=gian..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

There are many piriform varieties from both Italy and France,look at them as upside down hearts,heavy at the bottom and narrow at the top,and I've grown many of them.

And in the first link you'll see where several seed vendors got the wrong variety from Italy,and were told yes,they were wrong,and then Ided them that they should be piriforms,what were sent initially were beefsteaks.

And I've loved the taste and production of every one that I've grown.

Carolyn
Old May 2, 2016   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, well my seeds are very old so I guess I will not be sure till I see the fruit what I have..interesting, but you comment of taste and production sound good.

This may be a good time to admit a character flaw I have.. I hate untidiness, in most forms but particularly with info. I don't mind a mystery if it eventually gets sorted, I can be like a terrier after a rabbit doing research but I don't rest till I solve it and if I can't I chuck it out, because if I can't solve it I can't file it and that drives me nuts.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote