Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2021   #1
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Default Correct plants or ?

Ok, I have been reading through several threads here, and now I'm getting myself confused as to if I really have the tomatoes I think I have, or if I have unknown varieties of some sort. I've read somewhere on here (can't remember where, but I believe it was posted by Dr. Carolyn) that Brandywine should be PL, and also saw someone post that almost all mortgage lifter's are PL. If this is true then one of the following is also true: a) I don't have Mortgage lifter and Brandywine or b) I can't tell a RL from a PL The first picture below is supposed to be BW, and the second ML. Both, to me, look like RL. And while we're here, is Cherokee Purple supposed to be RL or PL? Thanks for the help in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brandywine.jpg (118.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg mortgage lifter.jpg (129.0 KB, 114 views)
Old July 14, 2021   #2
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

The more research I do, the more confused I get. Everywhere I've looked it says that Brandywine is a potato leaf. But looking at the picture above, mine is regular leaf. I found one reference that a Red Brandywine is RL, but this one's tag just says Brandywine. So that leads me to more questions. Is this a Red Brandywine? Is it a Brandywine at all? And if not what did I buy? I'll try to get a picture of the fruit to post, that might help.

As to Mortgage Lifter, I see that it is listed as RL everywhere I've looked, so no concerns there anymore. So I don't remember where i saw posted that ML was PL...but according to Tania's it's RL.

I'm so confused. I'm new to the OP and heirloom tomatoes, before this I grew tomatoes, but didn't pay much attention to what I was actually growing. Now I'm trying to be a bit more selective and diverse, but this is running me into major confusion at times. Any help anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old July 14, 2021   #3
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Potatoe leaf varieties are far less "ragged" leaves and often have one or two "thumbs" on the terminal leaflet.

The other leaves generally have smooth margins.

Regular-leaf tomatoes generally have jagged, wavy margins on all leaves.

Older leaves near the bottom of the plant are sometimes intergrade and harder to recognize.

I think both photos are PL varieties.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by eyolf; July 14, 2021 at 08:22 PM.
eyolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2021   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Both are definitely RL.
With big popular names like Brandywine, I think the exact variety is essentially diluted to not mean that much anymore, since anything resembling one will be named one to sell better.
Cherokee Purple is RL.
There are variations of ML, with different names just like Brandywine, so it's better to get Brandiwine Sudduth for example as you're more likely to get that exact one. And buy the seeds from a more reliable, less commercial, source.

Imagine that I sell tomatoes and I have a variety of big pink tomatoes that does really well for me called Pork Butt, while Brandywine does poorly. Do I sell the customers the pork butt no one will buy or rename it, people will be happy with the Brandywine and come back for more, and also save seeds. And so another variation of 'Brandywine' is added.

Last edited by zipcode; July 15, 2021 at 03:34 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2021   #5
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

zipcode, thank you! Both plants in question were bought at a nursery to fill in for plants I had started that just didn't make it. So, I'm going to say that the Brandywine is an unknown, unless it is actually a red brandywine, presume that the Mortgage Lifter is actually that, and wait and see on my Cherokee Purple...

Thank you too eyolf, but the more I look, the more I am sure that both plants are RL, not PL
Old July 15, 2021   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

The plants shown are definitely RL. Even when you get ripe fruit, one cannot be certain what they have coming from what is clearly mixed up tags/off types from a retailer you bought. Starting seeds that you know are true to type is the only way to be as close to certain as possible. No matter what, I hope you have some delicious tomatoes!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2021   #7
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I took some photos of plants I'm growing:
Heshpole, potato leaf. The "thumbs" are apparent:

Next: Bonny Best. Reg leaf.

JSS3570, potato leaf

Bloody Butcher, also PL;

A semi-dwarf, Grushovka. Also Reg leaf:

Note the rugose, "wrinkly" leaves.

a true dwarf; Dwarf Arctic Rose:

And last, an even truer dwarf: Tiny Tim.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk