Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 29, 2008   #61
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

woodchuck,

Totally Tomatoes most likely LOST money on the shipping charges for my order. My guess is that while I was charged $5.95 to ship 40 pounds, they shipped an envelope containing seeds costing them maybe $2.00 to someone else and charged them the same $5.95 shipping amount. They probably count on it all averaging out at the end of the year.

So I am sure my deal getting 40 pounds delivered for $5.95 is an exception. That is why the Pets.com business model in 2000 was destined for failure. You can't afford shipping 50 pound bags of dog food for free, and have a sustaining business model.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2008   #62
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
woodchuck,

I just ordered 6 items today from (guess who?) Jung's Seeds. I was charged $4.95 for handling and shipping. The way I look at it, someone has to go pull my 6 items from the stockroom, print up a shipping label plus an invoice, process my credit card payment, package up the items in a box, call UPS to pick up the package, email me with shipping / tracking information, incur an obligation if the shipment gets lost to replace it for me, and oh, by the way, actually pay UPS to deliver the items.

When you ask me if I would be willing to do all that for a $4.95 shipping and handling fee, "forget-about-it"!! I have no complaint about this charge as far as I am concerned.

Ray

Someone was willing to pack up 40 lbs. of Tomato-tone and ship it for $5.95

I've worked in mail order.
Honesty is the best policy.
No doubt all those costs need to be covered.
Price the product and shipping honestly.
If the fee is for more than just shipping, say so, not all do that.
Prompt service, quality, volume and a reasonable shipping cost are the keys to long term success.

~Woodchuck
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2008   #63
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
woodchuck,

Totally Tomatoes most likely LOST money on the shipping charges for my order. My guess is that while I was charged $5.95 to ship 40 pounds, they shipped an envelope containing seeds costing them maybe $2.00 to someone else and charged them the same $5.95 shipping amount. They probably count on it all averaging out at the end of the year.

So I am sure my deal getting 40 pounds delivered for $5.95 is an exception. That is why the Pets.com business model in 2000 was destined for failure. You can't afford shipping 50 pound bags of dog food for free, and have a sustaining business model.

Ray
I don't know how totally tomatoes ships....many companies with large volumes have special agreements and pricing with FedEx or UPS, don't let them fool you.

~Woodchuck
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2008   #64
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

woodchuck,

I agree with you on gouging for shipping. Ebay as you cite is a blatant example. Gurney's and Worms Way are also examples of companies who charge way too much for shipping.

I bought a $19.95 2 ounce package of Actinovate from Worms Way a few months ago, and was charged $10.00 for shipping this single 2 ounce item. As there were no other sources for this product, I was stuck, but Worms Way is NOT one of my favorite places to buy other products from, and I will never order anything from them that I can get anywhere else.

To me, Jung's Seeds $4.95 S&H fee for my 6 items today was a bargain.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2008   #65
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Am I doing something wrong here? I logged on to the link to totally tomatoes,and looked under fertilizer, no tomatotone. Entered it in their "search"--no match found.
Ray, how do I find it? Thanks.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2008   #66
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

it's tomato-tone computers are fussy about spelling. it's there under fertilizers bottom row middle no image item #86945.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #67
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to this forum and I just thought I would add my 2 cents about Jungs.

I checked out their new consolidated site but they don't have the catalog I buy from the most - HPS.

The other thing I don't like about Jungs is the fact that I live less than 50 miles from Randolph Wi and I travel from my farm to Madison twice / week for over 1/2 the year. I'm a market seller at the Madison farmers market. It would be only about a 10 mile detour for me to stop at the store on my way home so I could pick up seeds. But if the seeds aren't listed in the Jung's catalog (most I want aren't) you can't get them in person. Even if they are in the Jung's catalog, if you want something larger than just a "packet", you still have to go thru the mail order about 75% of the time as they don't have the larger amounts stocked in the store.

Years ago there were some stores in the Milwaukee area that had more of a "warehouse" type building instead of a consumer store. But you could still go in there and look at some displays and fill out an order and it would get sent to the "back room" to be filled in just a few minutes. Sure you had to wait a bit, but you got to go home with the product and they didn't have to ship it.

I would probably buy more from the various Jungs companies if I could get the stuff when I drove thru and as I needed it. I don't always know what I will need all at 1 time in the winter or what I may want to take a flyer on if I have room left over. I also don't always have the money for ALL my seed in the winter.

Just some thoughts for the people from Jung's.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #68
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I just bought Jung's seeds! I know I started this thread complaining about their shipping charges over 5 years ago, but this year they were the only one of a couple dozen catalogs that had everything I needed and at good prices. Thank you Jung's.
Old February 25, 2013   #69
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

Jungs is part of a large conglomerate.

Jung Seed

There service is terrible.

Last edited by paulgrow; February 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Typo
paulgrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #70
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

I've never had a problem with any of those companies