Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old August 17, 2011   #46
Bladefan
Tomatovillian™

I have had success with tomatofest seeds and I planted Gary Ibsens gold last year, it was delicious for me and I am growing it again this year...
Bladefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #47
tedln

I grew GIG from Tomatofest this year right beside KBX. Neither variety did well, but they were almost identical twins in growth habit and leaf type. Each only set a few fruit that didn't develop well. The fact that they didn't perform well was probably more my fault than their's. They were not planted in the most choice real estate in my garden, but the spots did produce well with different varieties in years past. This has been such a lousy year for growing tomatoes after June arrived that I have a hard time blaming the late maturing varieties. Early and mid season varieties performed great with outstanding production before June. I don't plan on growing either variety next year, but I will probably try them again in future seasons.

Ted
Old August 19, 2011   #48
Bladefan
Tomatovillian™

How did KBX compare to GIG flavor wise? I am still looking for that best tasting orange...I also noted that GIG is not a prolific producer, last year or this year as well, but they tasted good so I planted them again this year, I was thinking about trying KBX...
Old August 19, 2011   #49
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I much prefer KBX and many other orange varieties over GIG, which seems to have a slight 'off' pumpkin/carotene flavor under my conditions. This Year I have been very impressed by the flavor of Orlov Yellow.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Orlov_Yellow
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011   #50
tedln

Blade,

I didn't taste either variety. The plants only produced a few small, hard fruit that barely resembled tomatoes. My Labrador retriever didn't comment on which tasted best. I also had Pineapple and Brandwine Yellow growing in the same bed. They performed better, but not much better. In a bed less than three feet away, my Brandywine Pink and a couple of other varieties were kicking butt like tomato producing machines. I think growing tomatoes is like selling real estate. It's all about location.

Ted
Old August 20, 2011   #51
Bladefan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks tz, I'll give orlov a try....
Old September 18, 2011   #52
muck4doo
Tomatovillian™

Purchased most of my seed this year from this company. Very good service, and some nice extras to boot. Couldn't resist the temptation to grow a black cherry and paul robeson for the fall, and each germinated nicely. They are flowering now, so I don't know yet if they are breeding true. We'll see. I like my experience so far.
muck4doo is offline   Reply With Quote