Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2011   #211
tam91
Tomatovillian™

The issue with Amazon is that Amazon.com itself is not selling the book, they are listing other sellers. I purchased the book for under $20 from Amazon around Christmas. It's not out of print now or something, I hope?

Carolyn, if you think $100 is ridiculous, you'll love what the second seller on Amazon is charging for a new one - $956.98 . Plus shipping.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2011   #212
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Carolyn, if you think $100 is ridiculous, you'll love what the second seller on Amazon is charging for a new one - $956.98 . Plus shipping.
That would be me.
Well not really, But what we need is someone to write a good comprehensive book on growing tomatoes.
I should get off my lazy duff and do it myself. No I dont know everything about the art but I do know enough to do research on what I dont know.
The problem with writing a book such as this, "which Carilyn has said many times", is not all tomatoes do the same everywhere.
So maybe I could write a book on Texas tomato growing, more likely Central Texas tomato growing.

Lets see now how it would turn out.
Book title.
Central Texas Tomato Growing by Worth, " no publisher no money no book. return for labor $0.00
Lets see how we could change this.

Central Texas Tomato Growing by Lindsay Lohan co written by Worth.

Her picture would be on the front, "not mine" I would do all of the work we could split the money and she would get all of the credit.

We could make millions.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 30, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2011   #213
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Haha well then if someone pays that, I hope you'll send Carolyn a kickback.
Old March 30, 2011   #214
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
....Lets see how we could change this.

Central Texas Tomato Growing by Lindsay Lohan co written by Worth.

Her picture would be on the front, "not mine" I would do all of the work we could split the money and she would get all of the credit.

We could make millions.

Worth

By the time the publicity machine got through with it, more likely it'd be "Lindsay Lohan's Tomatoes", as told to Worth, and then you wouldn't find it in the same bookstores you're thinking of.

Probably get a lot of Tweets though.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011   #215
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tam, I really haven't been paying attention to anything having to do with the book until this AM when I got an e-mail from the inventory person at SESE saying that they were almost out of books so he went to reorder from Workman and was told it was out of print.

So I did go to Amazon and confirm that as well and I guess others knew it way before I did b'c Workman has said nothing to me, or there wouldn't be prices like that.

Yup, books ranging from 18.95 to 99 and of course I would imagine that those places who have been selling it such as Sandhill and TGS and some others might still have some copies, possibly SSE itself, I don't know.

The person from SESE said in his reponse from Workman that he was told the Smith and Hawken books tend to go out of print. He was asking me if there was a CD Rom version in the works, etc., but I know nothing about it at all.

I have no regrets about writing it after I was asked to but I'm sorry that there was still 20,000 due them out of book sales. As for me, I never got any royalties at all, never thought I would with that huge photography cost that had to be swallowed, but I did receive a very generous advance.

it was just a couple of years ago that there was a second printing but I don't know how many and I wish I'D been contacted about that so that I could have updated the seed sources and a few other items.

I've got four books left here at home. Bidding starts at $500 a book. Any takers?

I do hope my brother still has the one I gave him so he can look at it and watch it appreciate in value in the coming years.

And yesterday I got an e-mail from a place that makes label tags asking me how to contact Frank, the photographer, to see if they could pay him for the use of the pictures since Frank holds the copyright on them. The last time I had contact with Frank was in the Fall of 1998 when he was packing up all his photography equipment from where he took the pictures in the old farmhouse. Knowing where he lived I was able to Google him, found him, and will pass along the contact info to this place who wants to make and sell them on labels for tomato plants I guess.
Old April 14, 2011   #216
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I just (reluctantly) ordered from Seed Savers. Order went thru so, hopefully they still have books. I cannot believe that it is out of print! Is that correct? I have been trying to buy that book on-line for over a month. This is a classic book that should never go out of print IMO and i'm sure many would agree! Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2011   #217
tam91
Tomatovillian™

That really is a shame. I ordered a couple - I think these might be a bit of a good investment (I already have a personal copy).

Good luck getting that $500 Carolyn - ya never know, maybe you will one of these days.
Old April 15, 2011   #218
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That really is a shame. I ordered a couple - I think these might be a bit of a good investment (I already have a personal copy).

Good luck getting that $500 Carolyn - ya never know, maybe you will one of these days.
A joke Tam, a joke, where IS your sense of humor?

Yes, it's true that I do have those four copies b'c I used to take copies with me when I was asked to do heirloom tomato presentations, but me thinks I'll just have one entombed as a wall hanging behid glass and hang it on the wall next to my framed original Shaker can wrapping for a tomato that dates back to the the late 1800's for which I paid way too much money but what the heck, it's all about tomatoes isn't it.

And I'm in the process of ordering yet more books for personal reading, as is my wont, and couldn't pass up one called Dragonheart from McCaffrey's Pern series and all b'c this year I'm growing a new one from Italy called, ta da, Dragon Heart, aka Cuore del Drago.
Old April 15, 2011   #219
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I think my sense of humor is the same place as yours is just now, that was a bit of a joke back (ok, maybe not a good one, but I tried...)

Ooh, I haven't read the Pern books in years, now you've reawakened my interest - those are great!
Old April 17, 2011   #220
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Gosh, I wonder what a signed copy would go for???

(just kidding...I'd never let that book go)
Old April 17, 2011   #221
tam91
Tomatovillian™

If we all sent our personal copyies of the book to Carolyn, in packages full of chocolate, I wonder if she would sign them?
Old April 17, 2011   #222
Winemaker1942
Tomatovillian™

Well I think I might just wait for the Movie to come out...It might be my best Investment...
Winemaker1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #223
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If we all sent our personal copyies of the book to Carolyn, in packages full of chocolate, I wonder if she would sign them?
Sure I would and some have done that even without chocolate but I have to ask that they not only send me the book but also a stamped return mailer b'c it isn't easy for me to get to the PO, etc.

And what others have done is to just send me a small 3 X 5 card and separately told me who they want that card addressed to b'c sometimes it's been a gift, and then I can send it back easier and they just attach in to the inside green page. Sometimes larger cards are sent but the width has to be right to fit inside of the inside cover.

You want to send chocolate, go for it.
Old April 17, 2011   #224
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker1942 View Post
Well I think I might just wait for the Movie to come out...It might be my best Investment...
I have to say that if I'm to be in that movie that I'm no longer photogenic and no amount of makeup or anything else can recapture the picture I still have of myself in a polka dotted bikini which some folks have tried to get from me for years to scan it and post it online.

Remember that beauty is not always an exterior quality as many tomato fruits have proved over and over again. The interior taste of a fruit can far exceed the ugly look of the exterior.

QED
Old April 17, 2011   #225
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Haha well I'm not wearing any polka dot bikinis either anymore!

OK, I will send you my book one of these days, I'd be honored if you would autograph it. But I am waiting until I can get some good chocolate to go with it.