Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 5, 2019   #2656
salix
Tomatovillian™

Got down to -27 C last night, but a nice sunny morning...
Old March 5, 2019   #2657
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Enough already. But I see a massive change in the extended forecast.

I've started a legendary amount of early Spring seed the past week. The slow germination
seeds. I need to spread out my sowing rather than one big time consuming blast.

Dealt with another one foot of snow. Never lost power this year more than an hour.
(fingers crossed)

Crazy pup #2 ran with glee in the fresh snow, then returned inside with the zoomies.
A cut on his pad blood-freckled the entire home. What a nightmare. Entry, kitchen, wood
floors, bed, couch, rugs.
Fortunately we are not stuffy about the home. Just kitchen counters have to be spotless.
Shut him off in the bathroom and did the deed cleaning the blood freckles. Bathroom looked
like a murder scene. ...cleaned and mended his paw. The bathroom has never been so
clean, . Tossed out a dozen bloody cotton cloths. We have a good pup first aide kit.
Blood stop powder, wraps, cleaners, Old clean sock on foot, taped. He has been giving me
stink eye but that will pass.

Just bit much after plowing the driveway and dealt with this after dark.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #2658
charley
Tomatovillian™

looks like the freeze might be over im planting out in the morning.i have a tarp ready if the freeze comes back.i got to plant out my plants are flowering
Old March 5, 2019   #2659
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Enough already. But I see a massive change in the extended forecast.

I've started a legendary amount of early Spring seed the past week. The slow germination
seeds. I need to spread out my sowing rather than one big time consuming blast.

Dealt with another one foot of snow. Never lost power this year more than an hour.
(fingers crossed)

Crazy pup #2 ran with glee in the fresh snow, then returned inside with the zoomies.
A cut on his pad blood-freckled the entire home. What a nightmare. Entry, kitchen, wood
floors, bed, couch, rugs.
Fortunately we are not stuffy about the home. Just kitchen counters have to be spotless.
Shut him off in the bathroom and did the deed cleaning the blood freckles. Bathroom looked
like a murder scene. ...cleaned and mended his paw. The bathroom has never been so
clean, . Tossed out a dozen bloody cotton cloths. We have a good pup first aide kit.
Blood stop powder, wraps, cleaners, Old clean sock on foot, taped. He has been giving me
stink eye but that will pass.

Just bit much after plowing the driveway and dealt with this after dark.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #2660
PlainJane

Our pets keep us on our toes, that’s for sure.
We are constantly managing the bickering amongst our 3 cats. Just like kids - he got more pets than me; she got more treats than me, I’m going to jump on you as you come out the cat door, etc etc all day.
My seedlings were in the process of hardening off but now are stuffed onto windowsills and under lights in the garage for the next 2 days as we dodge high 30’s. Should be back in the 70’s by the weekend. I’m so ready for some consistent growing weather!
Old March 6, 2019   #2661
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Had the biggest snowstorm in decades here in the Roseburg, Oregon area last week. Now, before you pooh-pooh a foot to 15" of snow (2 feet in some areas), keep in mind that snow is rare here and our yearly average is 1". Only one forecaster saw this coming. An atmospheric river moved up from California and collided with cold air mass. Results, 2 days of heavy rain, followed by 2 (or 3) days of heavy very WET snow. This is a very forested county and trees were (and still are) down everywhere. Power poles, whole orchards of hazelnuts, greenhouses, high school gyms, business buildings, etc down/collapsed. Our power was out for 7 days and water out for 2 days. Power still out for the more remote folks, and they are looking at another week or two for the trees to be removed and lines repaired. Even if you live in an area where you think the worst won't happen, be prepared anyway! I was so glad to have all those gallons of bottled water stored away.
Old March 6, 2019   #2662
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Good thing I protected my plants

Today was beautiful, so I went to check out a few nurseries. Tsk tsk tsk Home Depot. They left their herbs and veggies uncovered 2 nights ago when it got down to 31 degrees here (forecast said 34). I took a photo of the cold damage. Another nursery I went to, Houston Garden Center, brought their plants into a tent and set up heaters. So their plants looked fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0306191040.jpg (652.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 0306190959.jpg (564.8 KB, 66 views)
Old March 6, 2019   #2663
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default sunday

supposed to be 65 here along the beautiful Ohio River so I bought almost two pounds of onion sets to plant. Looking for seed starting supplies in the morning at Wal Mart or Lowes. Need some 6ft tomato stakes also. Maybe at Southern States.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2019   #2664
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

the car thermometer hit minus 20 on our road when i took my son in to his raiders group in rotc before 6:30 am this morning. now that is just dang cold.
it warmed up into the teens during the day with the sun out, made it seem almost balmy
after this morning.

as bad as the weather gets here at times, we rarely lose power for long.
might have something to do with us having one of the highest rates for power in the
country. see what money will gitcha.
i hope everything gets straightened out soon in the northwest.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2019   #2665
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Had the biggest snowstorm in decades here in the Roseburg, Oregon area last week. Now, before you pooh-pooh a foot to 15" of snow (2 feet in some areas), keep in mind that snow is rare here and our yearly average is 1". Only one forecaster saw this coming. An atmospheric river moved up from California and collided with cold air mass. Results, 2 days of heavy rain, followed by 2 (or 3) days of heavy very WET snow. This is a very forested county and trees were (and still are) down everywhere. Power poles, whole orchards of hazelnuts, greenhouses, high school gyms, business buildings, etc down/collapsed. Our power was out for 7 days and water out for 2 days. Power still out for the more remote folks, and they are looking at another week or two for the trees to be removed and lines repaired. Even if you live in an area where you think the worst won't happen, be prepared anyway! I was so glad to have all those gallons of bottled water stored away.
Wow, what a disaster! Bad combination with the heavy snow following rain; makes the trees come right out of the ground. I hope recovery efforts are not interrupted by any new weather.
Old March 7, 2019   #2666
bower
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear that CoronaBarb! I just hate to hear of damage to fruit and nut trees. Glad you were well prepared and that you have your power back again.

There was California weather on the news last night - something like thousands of lightning strikes happening within a few minutes, and massive downpours with that.
As for us, we had the most gentle snow imaginable for the new moon yesterday. Hour after hour of snow falling STRAIGHT DOWN this never happens. It was really pretty and serene. About 10 cm of utterly fluffy light stuff to shove off the driveway this morning... delightful.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019   #2667
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is weather related - I got to put hummingbird food out today
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019   #2668
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

@spooky... don't buy those plants that got chilled if you can avoid it. they will have the ugliest tomatoes you have ever seen until about their 3rd flush of blossoms that cold will damage buds that are just forming deep within the cells.
Old March 13, 2019   #2669
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Oh no, I would never buy anything that looked like that. I already had most of my plants already in the ground. Luckily I anticipated the cold weather and I covered them with frost cloth, so they came through pretty good.
Old March 14, 2019   #2670
bower
Tomatovillian™

I never thought I'd be cheering for "normal" March weather! But there it is. Delightful mix of temperatures some of which are above zero in the day. Couple days of real heat in the greenhouse, buds pushing out on the perennials in there, and my garlic bulbils and rounds which I planted out there quite late, just coming through the ground!!! So exciting.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote