Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2017   #16
psa
Tomatovillian™

I keep my seeds in bead jars, in plastic cases, in ammo boxes, inside the fridge.

When sharing or selling seeds, though, I pour them into small plastic zip bags and tuck them into coin envelopes, as heirloomtomaguy said.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #17
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Mine are in plastic baggies, stuffed In 2 quart bail top jars with a giant dissicant pack and stored in the deep freeze at -20. Stored cold and dry they should last decades.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #18
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Kraft coin envelopes are $$$.
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #19
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtstorm View Post
Kraft coin envelopes are $$$.
Bought 500 at Office Depot for $12. They matched internet price.

Last edited by JohnJones; February 28, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #20
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I find them all reasonable in cost. Coin envelopes are easier to write notes. I have a box of 500. I do like seeing the seeds when starting trays. You can even pick from the lot if many seeds are available to choose from. Seeing the size and health of the seed is nice.

I have ordered from ClearBags.com for an unrelated project and have all sizes in a thicker mil than most. All WildBoarFarms are together in a 4x4. (those bags are tiny)
4x5 is close to the industry standard and will hold coin envelopes together. 5x7 keeps related groups together.

Still an ongoing organizing process but filing flat-pack is what i need right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clear bags.jpg (299.5 KB, 128 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #21
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I prefer using 35mm film canisters with snap on lids. Also small pill bottles with screw on lids. Then address labels with the sticky backs for the information. All stored in several of my sons' small car cases, double sided storage with 50 spots each side. Since I can't find more new cases, the rest go in nut and bolt storage with drawers that are clear. Information marked on the drawer as well as on the container.
Old February 28, 2017   #22
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I've been using 4mil 2.5x3" zip bags, they're more durable and works well with the blue tape as label.

I have abandoned the typical 2mil 2x3" ones.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #23
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I find them all reasonable in cost. Coin envelopes are easier to write notes. I have a box of 500. I do like seeing the seeds when starting trays. You can even pick from the lot if many seeds are available to choose from. Seeing the size and health of the seed is nice.

I have ordered from ClearBags.com for an unrelated project and have all sizes in a thicker mil than most. All WildBoarFarms are together in a 4x4. (those bags are tiny)
4x5 is close to the industry standard and will hold coin envelopes together. 5x7 keeps related groups together.

Still an ongoing organizing process but filing flat-pack is what i need right now.
Very organized, yet flexible. Me like!
Old February 28, 2017   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

2" X 3" zip lock baggies. I need something reclosable and not taking too much room plus I can see how many are left easily to know if I need to process more seeds. It's because of the large seed offer I do every year.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #25
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Cool! Where did you find Office Depot brand coin envelopes for $12?? Here they're $24 for a box of 500.
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #26
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I use plastic baggies inside coin envelopes

I use the same for most of my varieties. However the method I prefer is coin tubes because of my old not so dexterous fingers. Downside is the cost of these.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #27
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtstorm View Post
Cool! Where did you find Office Depot brand coin envelopes for $12?? Here they're $24 for a box of 500.
I took the box to the manager at my local OD and told him I needed 50 or so coin envelopes and did they have a smaller quantity than 500 for $27. He said that was the smallest quantity they had and agreed the price was pretty exorbitant. We looked online and he matched the price on a like quantity from a different online source.

Very nice manager, I don't know if this is a company wide practice.

Edited to add this link to the price he matched

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=705327011

Last edited by JohnJones; March 1, 2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old March 6, 2017   #28
shule1

Paper should wick moisture away from the seeds a lot better. If I was going for above-average length of storage, I would go with a paper envelope. However, plastic is pretty convenient, and it's what I use currently. However, I haven't experimented with either long enough to tell you for sure that one is better than the other for the life of the seeds.
Old March 6, 2017   #29
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I went to coin envelopes recently, have used many other types. I like them because, I like them. LOL
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #30
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

OK, anyone who knows me from other forums knows that I am not a tomato guru. Beans & garlic are my things. With that heresy out of the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatbox View Post
Is it true seeds need to breathe or is it a moisture thing?
I used to think so. My understanding is that seeds don't need to breathe unless they contain excess moisture. Seeds are sometimes sealed in with oxygen-free gasses for very long term storage. I had a sealed 1 kilo can of commercial seed in my basement, packed in nitrogen... when I finally opened it after 5-6 years of storage, the germination was still very high. (I quickly repacked that seed into smaller sealed glass jars.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Paper should wick moisture away from the seeds a lot better. If I was going for above-average length of storage, I would go with a paper envelope. However, plastic is pretty convenient, and it's what I use currently. However, I haven't experimented with either long enough to tell you for sure that one is better than the other for the life of the seeds.
Unfortunately, moisture penetration through paper is a two-way street. Properly dried seed can re-absorb moisture if the storage environment becomes humid. If storage conditions are well controlled throughout the year (such as by enclosing the envelopes in a sealed container, or an environmentally controlled space), then seed life is prolonged... probably many here use a similar method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I use plastic baggies inside coin envelopes
That is how I mail out small seeds to others.

I have long used zip lock freezer bags (as a type, not a brand) for storing most of my seeds. Freezer bags are heavier plastic, with a better seal. I always squeeze out excess air before closing, then roll them & pack them tightly in boxes, to prevent them from re-inflating. For smaller seed quantities, I place the bag in a letter-sized mailing envelope, within a filing cabinet. At room temperature, with central air, most seeds have at least fair germination after 8-10 years.

For seed that is irreplaceable, I place samples in the freezer. Those are in zip locks, sealed into a canning jar.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote