Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 4, 2015   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
Worth I keep them very close without any heat issues. I would say the tops of the seedlings are no more than 2 inches from the bulb (or even less sometimes). As they grow I adjust the entire light fixture up with a "pulley" system.
I have the pulley system and just need to modify the boards and add 4 O boxes for the fixtures.
One more question and I will leave you alone.
Bulbs/lamps vertical or horizontal or does it matter.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #32
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it matters too much. For seedlings I think mounting them horizontally gives a little bit better spread of light so that's what I've done.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks brother now I can go rummage and see what I have and what I have to buy.

Worth
Old December 4, 2015   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay I thought I was trough but I'm not.

What I have is a frame that I can hank from the ceiling.
With said frame I have pulleys I can lower and raise the frame from both ends.
It is about 4 feet long and 2 feet wide.
My Timer can handle 15 amps.
I dont think I have anything running off the outlet I plan on plugging into if there is it isn't much.
I want to run multiple lights so if one goes out the others will still work until I can replace it.
And so each section of plants will be closer to a light.
In the end there will be close to 100 plants maybe more sitting on a 4 foot long by 30 inch wide table
Here is my dilemma.
I have several ideas on CFL lights and need to know what would be best and or overkill.

Lets look at I think might be overkill if there is such a thing.

First option.
Run a row of 150 watt lights down both sides of the frame three on each side pointing outwards a little and can be swiveled if I want.
Run another row of three 150 watt lights down the middle pointing straight down.
9 lights all together.
Each light draws 40 watts with a total of 360 watts and a currant draw of about 3 amps.
Each light puts out 2800 lumens and the temperature is 6500K
Lumens add up so this would be a total of 25200 lumens if I am not mistaking.

Will this be enough light or is it over kill and can I go lower and still get good results?

Or will it work at all?

I do want to run the 9 light setup though.

Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #35
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Up and running with the new T-5, Durolux DL843, 3 bulb/ 4ft. Presently germinating some Big Zac and warming up some HP in 4" pots.

1) The fixture is extremely light and well made. Surprising little flex considering the thinness of the materials, well designed. Heavy duty cord and switch, decals in several spots saying fine for dry and damp service.

2) Bright! Far exceeds the brightness of the 2, 2 bulb/ 4ft T-8' fixtures formerly in this space.

3) T-5's higher bulb temps are very noticeable and will need consideration. With T-8's in a 65 F space I would keep the seedlings 1"-2" from the bulb and maintain a temp of 69-75 F, with or without a fan. The T-5's at 2.5 inches with no fan shot up to 90 quickly. This will need to be mitigated by fan, or less preferably, moving the seedlings further from the bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smIMG_20151205_064007832_HDR.jpg (107.0 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by Ricky Shaw; December 5, 2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: syntax
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #36
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

ricky shaw, what are those orange mats and where are they from? TIA!
Old December 5, 2015   #37
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Ditra, it's a floating membrane between tile and floor/sub-floor. I tiled a couple hundred feet of basement and it was left over. Tons of uses around here, from shims to shelters. The matte orange makes an easy backdrop on the eyes and spills don't go far.

http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/...TRA-XL/p/DITRA
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Does anybody think my idea above will work?

I spent a great deal of time last night studying lights trying to decide on what I want to do.

One of the things I have found funny is how many of the light suppliers beat around the bush with their lights.
They wont just come out and say they are for growing pot but let words slip like budding.
Here is somethings I found out about lights a long time ago and now that there are more and more indoor pot growers the information is getting rehashed.
Plants dont see nor do they use much of the visible light we see.
The lumens advertised for lights is in this spectrum and for the most part but not all has nothing to do with what a plant wants.
A plant wants lights in the reds and blues not the green area they cant even see green.
My good friend and his brother grow ((plants)) in there basement in Colorado.
The pictures he sends me of these plants look wild, they are under bright lights but not bright like we see it but bright for the plants.

Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #39
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

I use several 4 ft., 4 bulb fixtures. I don't recall ever having to replace a ballast. They last forever. The color spectrum doesn't seem to matter, you're not bringing anything to the flowering stage. Cheap shop lights work fine.

My son uses plastic ceiling lampholders with CFL lights. He mounts them vertically and horizontally. These use about a fourth the energy I use and they work very well.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All I need to know is if 9 150 watt 6500 K CFL lights placed in a grid approximately 3 feet long and 2 feet wide will be sufficient to cover an area of 4 feet long by 3 feet wide.
Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #41
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

I don't see why it shouldn't work Worth. That will be a hell of a lot of light.
Old December 5, 2015   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't see why it shouldn't work Worth. That will be a hell of a lot of light.

Thank you so very much.
I will not only be growing starter plants but more than likely be using the table as a mini garden in the house.
Now I can get dressed go to the store and get ticked off because they dont have the lights.

Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #43
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick note. If you will mainly be focusing on starting seedling I would stick with only 6500K lights. If you are looking at maybe taking some through to flowering and beyond then maybe consider some "warmer" (4000k or even less) bulbs as well.
Old December 5, 2015   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Just a quick note. If you will mainly be focusing on starting seedling I would stick with only 6500K lights. If you are looking at maybe taking some through to flowering and beyond then maybe consider some "warmer" (4000k or even less) bulbs as well.
That is the whole reason for the CFL lights so I can mix 2700K in with the 6500 later.
I would end up with 2/3 6500 K blue and 1/3 2700 K or so red spectrum.

I know I can mix tubes also but I want the CFL so I can experiment with LED lights later.

Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #45
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That is the whole reason for the CFL lights so I can mix 2700K in with the 6500 later.
I would end up with 2/3 6500 K blue and 1/3 2700 K or so red spectrum.

I know I can mix tubes also but I want the CFL so I can experiment with LED lights later.

Worth
Excellent. Now get to building the thing!