Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 4, 2016   #286
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Mecktom, It was my pleasure. I am glad that you had such a nice result with it. I think it a very good tomato. My early and late plants are still producing some large tasty tomatoes for me. Once again this year, this is the plant that I look to when I want to bring a tomato in for my dining pleasure. It has bee a steady performer with great tasting fruit. It will be back again next year for sure!

Ricky Shaw, I hope that you enjoy this tomato. I sure do........
Old January 7, 2017   #287
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Cold & snowy outside, so I'm working on my growlist for next year. And this one is on it.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #288
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Cold & snowy outside, so I'm working on my growlist for next year. And this one is on it.
I think that you will be well pleased!
Old January 28, 2017   #289
charley
Tomatovillian™

I just planted daniels b 3 weeks ago from 2 diferant sources the ones from marsha planted 5 seeds 2 came up potatoe leaf then planted 5 seeds from a diferant source and 5 came up 3 potato leaf and 2 serated potato leaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170128_112155-747x1328.jpg (170.4 KB, 294 views)
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #290
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I would still call all of those potato leafed plants. I would keep an eye on them as they mature because if will be the third and fourth set of leaves that will truly identify them as PL or RL plants. It will be interesting to see how then next set of leaves develop. If I may ask, what was the other source of your seeds?
Old February 24, 2017   #291
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I just planted daniels b 3 weeks ago from 2 diferant sources the ones from marsha planted 5 seeds 2 came up potatoe leaf then planted 5 seeds from a diferant source and 5 came up 3 potato leaf and 2 serated potato leaf
Daniels or Daniel Burson? Because DANIELS is an excellent big pink, too!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #292
charley
Tomatovillian™

Daniel burson and I just discarded all the plants that were not true Leaf types
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #293
Don S
Tomatovillian™

I just heard about Daniel Burson recently, but after reading all 250+ posts to this thread hoping to learn about its characteristics, I'm still confused. There are two things everyone seems to agree on:
Size: 12-14 oz (i.e. large)
Growth: OP, Indeterminate
but...
Taste: Many report it as Very Good, but is it sweet, tart or balanced, mild or intense?
Color: Developer says purple or mahogany, others "black-purple". I agree that "dark" is a better description but "black" seems to be the accepted term?
Leaf: PL with the occasional RL?
Height: Variously described as "stocky", "compact", 6ft max, 9ft max ?
Season: Variously described as early, mid, or even late?
Yield: Some say poor though most say Good or Very Good?

I know many of these traits are affected by local climate or soil, those of us with limited growing space like to know as much as we can about a variety before planting it.
Apparently many of you have grown DB for several years. Could you please just summarize its characteristics here?
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #294
cloz
Tomatovillian™

These are some Daniel Burson's on my plant today. Size of 12 to 14 oz should be about right when they are ripe. Plant is 5 1/2 feet tall there are 7 tomatoes on it currently with more setting. I grew it last year and the only comment I wrote was "great". I can be more precise once one ripens. I am not growing for quantity. My plants are spaced too close (2') in order to fit over 40 varieties in a small space. My plants were planted out May 31, which is late for me. That should give you some idea of plantout to ripe since I am also coastal Connecticut. It would not have received a return spot without me enjoying the tomato.

Cloz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0961.jpg (71.8 KB, 148 views)
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #295
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Now you must remember that taste is subjective and that every set of taste buds is different. What I good to one person is terrible to another. With that said, to me, Daniel Burson has a complex bold flavor that has a balanced/sweet flavor with some tartness. The texture is great without any mushiness. Not quite as good as CP but the flavor is there and the production is great.

The color is purple. Which in layman's terms means a black with a clear epidermis.

The leaf is PL.

Height is between 6-8 feet. Of course height depends on if you have a short northern season or a longer southern season. Soil and fertilizer will also play a part. On the whole, it is a shorter than most, a nice stocky plant.

I would describe this as a mid season tomato.

For me the plants are very productive if given plenty of light, room and food. I believe I had 67-70 fruits off of each of my plants that I planted later in the season. I had 51-59 on the plants that I put out early.
Old August 2, 2017   #296
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I just heard about Daniel Burson recently, but after reading all 250+ posts to this thread hoping to learn about its characteristics, I'm still confused. There are two things everyone seems to agree on:
Size: 12-14 oz (i.e. large)
Growth: OP, Indeterminate
but...
Taste: Many report it as Very Good, but is it sweet, tart or balanced, mild or intense?
Color: Developer says purple or mahogany, others "black-purple". I agree that "dark" is a better description but "black" seems to be the accepted term?
Leaf: PL with the occasional RL?
Height: Variously described as "stocky", "compact", 6ft max, 9ft max ?
Season: Variously described as early, mid, or even late?
Yield: Some say poor though most say Good or Very Good?

I know many of these traits are affected by local climate or soil, those of us with limited growing space like to know as much as we can about a variety before planting it.
Apparently many of you have grown DB for several years. Could you please just summarize its characteristics here?
I just read through this complete thread again, and Travis,Bill Jeffers has answered almost all of your questions.

Height is best described by indeterminate, it depends on whether a person is growing inground or supported.

Season? already described as usually late mid to early late season

Taste? Cannot be described since there are so many variables that go into that including specific genes that humans have.

RL or PL? Already described as PL and in one of the above posts I explained the genetics involved, and Travis and others have said that all RL seedlings should be ASAP discarded,

Yield? Depends on the specific season and when and where it was grown,so can differ a lot. Also depends on which amendments have been used, fertilizers,which ones,what strengths,when applied,etc.

Weather in any growing season is perhaps one of the most important variables since weather is a huge variable, no two seasons being the same..

Carolyn
Old August 2, 2017   #297
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Planted out last week of June, first time grower with seeds from homie, gurugardens.

10gal fabric pot.....peat40/coir30/perlite30.....chemgro 4-18-38 @1.8 mmhos

Medium build rangy potato leaf, med to good productivity. Not especially heat tolerant as is evident with the void zone above the set fruit, then better growth above. Most toms in the garden do this to varying degree.

The one in the pic was started 4 stem because I could see it was going to be a smaller plant, and trimmed to 2 stem after the 3rd truss. A few smaller fruit have ripened and are a mahogany with pink interiors, very tasty. Still waiting on the larger fruit and I'd expect it to be in the 8-12 oz range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-2017DB.jpg (131.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 34-2017DB.jpg (165.6 KB, 148 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #298
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

So far this year, Daniel Burson is the hit of the garden. The plant is about 5 feet tall which is shorter than most of my other varieties and is a potato leaf variety. It was the first to give ripe fruit which makes DB a mid-season variety in Brownville, Nebraska. Also it is the most productive within times the tomatoes as others being grown.

Tomato size is in the 10-15 ounce range so far. From the photos I am not sure you can see, but the top is bronzy color with greenish striping down the sides. The blossom end is more a dark pink. Interior is dark red and shows the Cherokee Purple characteristics. Flavor for me is full flavored and on the sweet side. We are pleased to have this tomato in the line-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7019.jpg (379.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7020.jpg (218.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7021.jpg (547.4 KB, 133 views)
Old August 2, 2017   #299
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew one back in PNW. It did not do well and I pulled it.
Now that I am in the south, I might give it a second chance next year.
I like what I see in Paul's picture.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #300
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I don't recall seeing striping in mine when I grew it, but it was 3 years ago last time I grew it.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote