Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 1, 2013   #1
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Default Buckets I scored today

I was in Kroger for supplies and thought I'd swing by the bakery. I saw someone icing a cake and noticed the nice bucket the icing was in. I ask if they had any empty buckets and was rewarded with two buckets that had already been washed out. I didn't care that they didn't have the lids. The dimensions are 9.5" by 11" and 11.5 " deep.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Good score....
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2013   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Another place you might look is a busy Asian restaurant. I know someone who works at Benihana part-time and they go thru tons of those 5-gallon buckets of Kikkoman soy sauce. Now I have so many I'm set for life. There is always some soy sauce left inside as it is poured out thru a hole in the top. But easy to pry off the lid (or just the spout if you want to keep the cover) and so easy to rinse out the sauce.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2013   #4
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

There is a chinese fast food place not to far from me that goes throught 5 gallon buckets of soy sauce like water. I go there maybe once every 2 months and when I do the man there usually has a half dozen empty buckets to give away. Always nice to know where to score some buckets.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2013   #5
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Someone told me I should go by Chick-fil-A and ask for empty pickle buckets but I have done that yet.
Old June 7, 2013   #6
mattkeddie
Tomatovillian™

If you know anyone who finishes drywall ask them. Joint Compound comes in a 5 gallon bucket and those guys use 15+ gallons a day. The buckets are the same as home depot/lowes brand new buckets you'd buy
mattkeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #7
lycoperson
Tomatovillian™

Another source for plastic pails is swimming pool maintenance folks. Pool chemicals have to be kept dry in storage and thus are sold in 3 - 6 gallon buckets. Be sure to rinse thoroughly before any use.
lycoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Gang,
Be careful using any previously used bucket that did not contain food items.
Plastic and chemicals do leach back and forth, so chances are it will end up in your mix.
Might not be enough residue to be a problem, but something to keep in mind.
The used food buckets are easy to get with a little legwork so why take a chance?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #9
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I 2nd the case made or Chinese Restr.s. I have received about 100 pails from
just one place and all were from soy sauce. Now, who would believe that they
go through about 20 gal. of soy sauce per week. They would even wash them
out for me. I hated to have to say "'Nuff!"
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #10
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

I've been getting mine at the local Vietnamese run doughnut shop. 4 to 6 gallon heavy duty custard powder and jelly filling buckets.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #11
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I would have to agree with JamesL. I would be leery of using any buckets that contained non-food products.

I had stopped by a local doughnut shop myself not too long ago and ask the guy behind the counter if they had any empty buckets in the 3 to 5 gallon range. When I told him what I wanted them for he said he thought he could hook me up. He didn't have any at the moment but he told me to check back next week.
Old June 10, 2013   #12
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkeddie View Post
If you know anyone who finishes drywall ask them. Joint Compound comes in a 5 gallon bucket and those guys use 15+ gallons a day. The buckets are the same as home depot/lowes brand new buckets you'd buy
Try 40-60 gallons a day! Lol. I know cause I do it as a profession. The thing is, is that for us drywall guys its much cheaper to buy it in the box. But I do know several general contractors that like to do a bit of taping n muding themselves and have me come out and finish it out. In those cases I'm all over the left over 5 gallon all purpose mud buckets.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #13
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i pick up buckets all the time. i think i have about 40. i have a source for composted manure from a barn and i find that shoveling the manure into buckets is quite convenient especially at unloading time. i stack them for future use or carry them to where it is needed in the garden.

can you ever get too many?

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote