Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2015   #16
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Right after you water gently push the soil down around your plant. The tunnels aren't usually very deep and you can fill them back up with soil. That's not to say it won't come back and redo it but it will give the plant a chance.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt456 View Post
My favorite GWR so far is Humph. It's one I don't see mentioned much though. Out of my 75+ varieties I grew last year it was in top 3 over all.
I forgot all about Humph, I grew it one year but have no idea how it tasted.
The reason was all of my tomatoes were picked and waiting for me when I got home with no idea what came from what.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #18
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I forgot all about Humph, I grew it one year but have no idea how it tasted.
The reason was all of my tomatoes were picked and waiting for me when I got home with no idea what came from what.
Worth

That's sounds like something that would happen at my house. It's absolutely worth growing again.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That's sounds like something that would happen at my house. It's absolutely worth growing again.
I was trying to think of the other GWR tomato i grew and couldn't remember Humph.
Someone sent me seeds many years ago for it who is was a member here.

Now my fine feathered friends please tell me the name of the GWR tomato that is so hard to tell when it is ripe the name evades me for some reason.

TGS sells it but I just cant remember.
Suze told me that in some but not all areas it would maybe put on a slight blush at the blossom end but not always.
The only other way is to give it a little squeeze to see if it is ready to pick.
Me thinks it may be Green Giant.

Worth
Old June 6, 2015   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Green Pear is one I'm interested in because of its shape.

Green Doctors Frosted is one we have seeds for already. We plan on trying those next spring.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Green Pear is one I'm interested in because of its shape.

Green Doctors Frosted is one we have seeds for already. We plan on trying those next spring.
Salt I might have some 1000 year old Lime Green Salad seeds floating around some place.
If so they are yours after a germination test.

Worth
Old June 6, 2015   #22
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, I had never grown green tomatoes until last year. It was a lableled, but 'unnamed' hybrid from someone on this forum. It was the best tomato I've ever had! Green will never be the majority of the tomatoes I grow, but they will have a place (w/ the gwr - some get a yellowish tint, and others like the one I grew, you had to pick by 'feel'.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I am for tomatoes of different colors. Last year I grew couple of Green Zebra. I was not impressed.
The taste was not good to me and the color of ripe was difficult to tell. Then I said to myself :
Why bother with it just because it is green ??!! Green tomatoes are all over the garden. I can always pick a couple of nice looking green tomatoes and blend them into a basketful of different colors to create a nice contrast.
SO no more green tomatoes for me.

Gardeneer
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My favorite GWR so far is Humph. It's one I don't see mentioned much though. Out of my 75+ varieties I grew last year it was in top 3 over all.
And it is a variety that was found by one of our Tville members and I've grown it and like it very much;

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Humph

Another one that deserves to be grown more IMO is:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...en+Ripe+tomato

One of THE best GWR cherries I've grown is:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

My seeds from Reinhard Kraft a couple of years ago and you can see that I spread it around to several seed sites. The pictures weren't coming up when I grabbed this link. I'm sure most of the places that listed it for 2014 still list it and Tania has not updated most pages for 2015 unless she is also listing the variety.

Manfred and Reinhard traced it back to the Netherlands and there it became a cold case. Not known to be related to Green Zebra, but named Green Zebra Cherry b/c of the striping. For me the taste is superb and not at all related to the taste of Green Zebra.

Yes, I do love my GWRipes.

Carolyn, waiting to hear back from her seed producers this summer about Verdal, Reinhard's now stable Green Heart which I grew at an earlier F gen, Zelyonye, and Annie B's Green and Emerald Pear;
Old June 6, 2015   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I'm growing my first green and it is Bosque Green Cherry. So far it is doing real good in the heat and humidity.
Is Bosque the name of a breeder? I have Bosque Blue Bumble Bee. Tatiana's site says it originated with J&L Gardens seed company.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #25
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt I might have some 1000 year old Lime Green Salad seeds floating around some place.
If so they are yours after a germination test.

Worth
Cool Worth, I'll have some tomato seeds, "Worth" growing. That was bad.

Okay, it's hot and humid where the computer is. We're not going to put the AC window unit in here until July 1.

So far, I have not had any problems getting older seeds to start and grow. I would be glad to grow them,

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 6, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old June 6, 2015   #26
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
I love Humph too! I am a GWR ripe fan in general, but Humph is my favorite.
Cherokee Green is also very good and productive too. The flavor is great but just like Cherokee Purple, they don't hold up well so you must eat them asap when ripe.
Malachite Box has the sweetest take of GWRs that I've had, also very productive.
Aunt Ruby's Green was my favorite until I found Humph.
Garden Lime is an excellent tasting smaller tomato.
Lime Green Salad as mentioned earlier in this thread is a real good one too, makes a lot of tomatoes for a small plant.
Max's Large Green is a large tomato is the greenest ripe one I've ever grown. It does not develop much of a yellow cast to it when ripe.
I've grown others, but that's enough for now.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #27
walt456
Tomatovillian™

I see I'm in good company as a fan of Humph. It's what inspired me to try several more greens year.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #28
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Is Bosque the name of a breeder? I have Bosque Blue Bumble Bee. Tatiana's site says it originated with J&L Gardens seed company.
I don't know. Don't know if it is the breeder's name or a a town or a special word in another language.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bosque Green Cherry is: http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=255
Old June 7, 2015   #30
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I see I'm in good company as a fan of Humph. It's what inspired me to try several more greens year.
This is one of the few that didn't germinate this year, but it's on my grow-to list for 2016. I have heard it praised so highly I have to try it.
The Malakitovaya.. Shatulka is another one I have been hearing of, and not only the storybook
The challenge is to keep my current seed stock in order and have some plan how to grow them in my limited space.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote