Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 13, 2012   #1
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Garlic from Seed

I just read a really interesting article in the Spring 2012 SSE publication about growing garlic from seed - true seed, as opposed to bubils. The author has published the complete article on his blog: http://garlicseed.blogspot.com/p/gro...true-seed.html

I think I'll see if I can manage to harvest some seed this year as I am growing several of the varieties the author recommends as being suitable seed-bearing types.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i remember reading about this in "GROWING GREAT GARLIC " by Ron Engeland. it is a really difficult process and iirc until fairly recently (the book was from 1991 i think) it had not been done. it's a long process to do it from bubils why would you want to spend even more time doing it from seed?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
why would you want to spend even more time doing it from seed?tom
The article cites a few reasons. Of course, barring mutations, it's the only way to create "new" varieties. Also, asexually reproduced crops like garlic, multiplier onions, shallots, potatoes etc. can develop viruses over time. Finally, it expands the genetic diversity of the crop.

But, as you say, it's a whole lot of time and effort.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #4
zorro777
Tomatovillian™

It's also a way to have garlic without the virus that is common to domesticated garlic.
zorro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012   #5
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I bought some garlic from seed from Ivan this year and he sent me lots of free samples of additional varieties. It all looks good coming up. Apparently the toughest part is getting seed that will germinate.

http://www.ivansnewgarlics.com/Home.html
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #6
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I want to find shallot seeds but haven't been able to get my own yet. I do get true seed from my potatoes and this year will attempt to have some onion for seed etc. The links are very interesting thanks for sharing. I am trying that too to see if I get any true seed.

My garlic had bulbils that I saved and planted. The first year they look like chives and only developed into a size of a large garlic clove which I planted and now in their 2nd year are looking like a normal plant. Maybe in their 3rd year they get to produce a big head of garlic.

Last edited by wmontanez; April 21, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #7
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Oh I got some seed this year from 5 plants of shallots. I saved the seed to sow in Winter indoors.

My garlic from bulbils produced a big size bulb now I have about 25 bulbs for this fall to plant. They should be year 3 next season. I also got more new bulbils that I am planting in the fall to regenerate my garlic seed. They seem to become smaller and smaller each year.
Any tricks? what should I use for fertilizers?