Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 16, 2012   #1
gtnate
Tomatovillian™

Default First time garlic grower

I planted my first garlic last October and started pulling it this past weekend. I have limited space, so I only planted 10 garlic between two containers. I'm pretty pleased with the results, and I must say that so far I think garlic is one of the easiest and most rewarding crops that I have grown. Of course, I will have to wait until tasting to make my final decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garlic_Pull.JPG (133.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Garlic.JPG (99.6 KB, 72 views)
gtnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on your harvest! It looks great for having been grown in a container.

I started this whole gardening adventure with a raised bed full of garlic a few years ago. It was so easy to grow, that it made realize I maybe I didn't have a brown thumb after all (I managed to kill every houseplant I've ever had).

If you enjoy the variety you grew, don't forget to put a few of your biggest heads aside for replanting in the fall.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #3
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I, too, think growing garlic is so easy and rewarding. I grow mine in raised beds...over 100 bulbs this year. My mother tried growing hers in a container and it didn't come up. Can I ask your secret for growing in a container?
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #4
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

gtnate, I agree 100% - it can become addictive, every year I grow more. This year we grew more than we can eat and we eat a lot of garlic so I'm going to have to learn how to make garlic powder.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote