Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 21, 2018   #2341
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

That is 42.00 well spent.
Old January 21, 2018   #2342
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

The Arctic freeze didn't seem to bother the crawfish much, I boiled a sack yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1395[1].jpg (385.2 KB, 153 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #2343
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
The Arctic freeze didn't seem to bother the crawfish much, I boiled a sack yesterday.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #2344
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

My goodness those crawdad's look good. Did you cook them with a lot of cayenne? I always cooked my potatoes and corn in the water with the crawdads and they came out as spicy as the crawdads and shrimp. I don't think I ever cooked or served button mushrooms and Andouille sausage with them.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #2345
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I don't add too much seasoning to the water for vegetables, that's the only thing you can eat to cut the heat(besides a cocktail or beer) from the crawfish with all the other stuff I use. Corn is really bad for picking up all of the pepper and it's too hot to eat.

I use Louisiana Crawfish boil, Zatarain's is too salty for me.

You have to add some type of fat either butter or sausage. I use Savoie's smoked sausage and boil it before you add the crawfish(or any seafood). Sometimes when I have to boil a few sacks I also add more sausage with the crawfish and there's never any left over but I'll say the sausage does pick up more pepper.

Here's how I boil
Get water boiling in a 100qt pot filled about 3/4 with water and add 1 cup of crawfish boil seasoning, boil potatoes and onions for 12 minutes then add all the extras you want, this is when I add sausage, corn and mushrooms, boil for another 8 minutes then remove. You can add almost anything and it taste good, cabbage cut in quarters are really good if you like spicy cabbage. Whole broccoli and cauliflower is good too. I would add garlic but someone is allergic so it's not included.

For a sack of crawfish I add about 3/4 of a bag of Louisiana crawfish boil seasoning to the pot after boiling the veggies
3 lemons halved and squeezed, put all this in the water
10 jalapenos halved
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
2 heaping tablespoons of pepper chow chow, I make my own using what ever peppers I have at the time.
Boil for 7 minutes and soak for 10 minutes, longer soaking will make it hotter. Adding a bag of ice to the pot will cool the crawfish down fast and that makes it soak up the seasoning faster. I always let my seafood soak long enough to sink, that's when I know it's soaking up all that flavor. Sometimes I just serve trays out of the pot and let them get more spicy for those knuckleheads that want more pepper. Believe me, this is hot but it's not so hot that you can't eat it because you're only eating a little at a time. I've had people say the first batch is too hot then they're asking for more pepper, I think it's the endorphin rush kicking in.

If you don't wash your hands good you'll know it was hot when you rub your face a few hours later.
EAT and Be happy, a few cold ones helps too.
Old January 23, 2018   #2346
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I don't add too much seasoning to the water for vegetables, that's the only thing you can eat to cut the heat(besides a cocktail or beer) from the crawfish with all the other stuff I use. Corn is really bad for picking up all of the pepper and it's too hot to eat.

I use Louisiana Crawfish boil, Zatarain's is too salty for me.

You have to add some type of fat either butter or sausage. I use Savoie's smoked sausage and boil it before you add the crawfish(or any seafood). Sometimes when I have to boil a few sacks I also add more sausage with the crawfish and there's never any left over but I'll say the sausage does pick up more pepper.

Here's how I boil
Get water boiling in a 100qt pot filled about 3/4 with water and add 1 cup of crawfish boil seasoning, boil potatoes and onions for 12 minutes then add all the extras you want, this is when I add sausage, corn and mushrooms, boil for another 8 minutes then remove. You can add almost anything and it taste good, cabbage cut in quarters are really good if you like spicy cabbage. Whole broccoli and cauliflower is good too. I would add garlic but someone is allergic so it's not included.

For a sack of crawfish I add about 3/4 of a bag of Louisiana crawfish boil seasoning to the pot after boiling the veggies
3 lemons halved and squeezed, put all this in the water
10 jalapenos halved
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
2 heaping tablespoons of pepper chow chow, I make my own using what ever peppers I have at the time.
Boil for 7 minutes and soak for 10 minutes, longer soaking will make it hotter. Adding a bag of ice to the pot will cool the crawfish down fast and that makes it soak up the seasoning faster. I always let my seafood soak long enough to sink, that's when I know it's soaking up all that flavor. Sometimes I just serve trays out of the pot and let them get more spicy for those knuckleheads that want more pepper. Believe me, this is hot but it's not so hot that you can't eat it because you're only eating a little at a time. I've had people say the first batch is too hot then they're asking for more pepper, I think it's the endorphin rush kicking in.

If you don't wash your hands good you'll know it was hot when you rub your face a few hours later.
EAT and Be happy, a few cold ones helps too.
That same pepper chow chow you sent me?

I ate a whole teaspoon full before I realized how hot it was.

Worth
Old January 23, 2018   #2347
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yep, that's how I roll. I think the peppers used are on the label. This new stuff with White Devils Tongue is good too, spicy but has to be used in moderation.
Old January 24, 2018   #2348
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

California just passed a law requiring lobsters be killed before they are boiled. If Louisiana passes the same law for those tiny little lobsters called crawfish, it will take a full day to prepare and cook a batch of crawdads.
Old January 24, 2018   #2349
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You are supposed to put them in head fist.
This way the brain is boiled first.
But really how far are people going to let this continue California isn't the only place with laws like this.
Many people want to ban eating animals all together.
Maybe they should ban war because bullets hurt.
Old January 24, 2018   #2350
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It's Cali, wouldn't expect anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26804350_1579102835499629_8981562321821474792_n.jpg (24.5 KB, 97 views)
Old February 3, 2018   #2351
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This link is an article about the history of a tiny town near me, and it contains several historical photos: https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2...rt-in.html?m=1
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #2352
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Love looking at old pics.
Old February 3, 2018   #2353
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

http://www.nkyviews.com/

Here's one about my area. Click on Mason county.
Old February 3, 2018   #2354
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
This link is an article about the history of a tiny town near me, and it contains several historical photos: https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2...rt-in.html?m=1
I think I would skip spring number 4 just in case it didn't work for everyone and spring number 5 just in case it did work for everyone. (look near the bottom of the article where it lists the curative effect of each spring)

Last edited by DonDuck; February 3, 2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 4, 2018   #2355
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

IF folks went to a slaughter house they would be introduced to reality. Cows and pigs dispatched with a sledge hammer...and often the swing misses the right spot so the animal loses part of the skull and another swing is required. This was at a huge processor. Then watching what goes into the vats for hot dogs...YUM!

Re the use of offal; Americans are overwhelmingly too squeamish and wasteful. Many types of offal were considered gourmet fare for generations. Even things like the head are virtually unseen here, where everything is geared for processing speed, packaging, or the mass market. Anything other than standard beef cuts or chicken are either hard to find, or like lamb, sky high. I asked for calves liver recently and they just looked at me funny and couldn't understand the difference.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote