Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 11, 2017   #1
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Default Maglia Rosa and garden loves heat!

I usually grow Maglia Rosa every year but always have a low yield of blooms and fruit. We have been abnormally hot so far this summer and my Maglia Rosa plants have exploded in blooms! This is the earliest I have ever had ripe tomatoes. My bucket tomatoes are almost touching the roof of my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender22.jpg (387.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender33.jpg (306.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender44.jpg (224.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender11.jpg (246.6 KB, 71 views)
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #2
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Those are some seriously impressive plants! Congrats!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have never been able to eat all the tomatoes I get from Maglia Rosa and give away baggies full. It does slow down some for periods, and then kicks back into production.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing MR. I was surprised by how many blooms it put out. Almost kind of semi-multiflora. I assumed that was normal.

Mine are currently loaded with fruit and have stopped putting out flowers for the moment because every available node on the plant is heavy with fruit. I would say that, on earlier trusses, about 1/3 t0 1/2 the blooms turned into fruit. Since the sweat bees have found my plants and I've been using a tuning fork on them, I'm getting 2/3 to 3/4 of the flowers setting fruit. Very prolific for such a little plant.

And to be fair to MR, there were a couple of times I let the plant get drought stressed, and it lost many of the dropped blossoms after those incidents. Had I been more diligent, I probably would have gotten better early fruit set. I've found MR very sensitive to dry, hot conditions and quick to wilt (actual wilting, not just its weeping habit).

Last edited by gorbelly; July 11, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote