Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old December 10, 2015   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Parthenocarpic Seed

Anyone use parthenocarpic seeds in their greenhouses. Cucumber, tomato, squash any others. What are your experiences and how well do these plants do in greenhouses?
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is a whole thread somewhere here about them.
As for tomatoes you dont need them and I dont think they exist if they do they are a hoax as far as I know.
As for the rest I have read here the results were good.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ighlight=dunja

I am growing diva cucumber, cavili and dunja squash next year. High mowing seeds has several parthenopcarpic varieties, I noticed they have also added a yellow zucchini. And they have free shipping!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #4
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing Partenon Zucchini squash in my pop up tent for the last 3 years to avoid the Squash borer and bugs. It has worked like a charm and I get lots of squash. No other even regular variety does as well as these. I got my packet from Johnny's for 2013 and they have remained viable for the last 3 years. I have a few left for 2016.

I have also grown the Diva cucumber but haven't had as good results but I think that is my fate with cucumbers in general! I would like to hear your result with Cavilli, as that is on my list for future grow outs.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Success is my favorite variety of cuke.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #6
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow Sweet Success. I had forgotten about that one. I never tried it inside one of my pop up tents. It might well do better than the Diva! It was my favorite also until I ran out of seeds and decided to try some other varieties like Diva. Now my husband no longer tolerates cucumbers well so I grow just a few for me.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #7
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I have been contemplating doing this! I was thinking a PVC frame to go over the plant with row cover material to allow light. How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
I have been growing Partenon Zucchini squash in my pop up tent for the last 3 years to avoid the Squash borer and bugs. It has worked like a charm and I get lots of squash. No other even regular variety does as well as these. I got my packet from Johnny's for 2013 and they have remained viable for the last 3 years. I have a few left for 2016.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote