Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 14, 2010   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for lacto-fermented pickles? I saw a Good Eats episode about this recently and thought it would be fun to try. I have only done refridgerator pickles up until now.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Does anyone out there have a good recipe for lacto-fermented pickles? I saw a Good Eats episode about this recently and thought it would be fun to try. I have only done refridgerator pickles up until now.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/dill_pickles.html This is the recipe I use. The only thing I do different is when the pickles are finished fermenting, I rinse them well and then soak them in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water three times. They were too salty for me (many other folks complained also.) The fresh water soak left them perfect!
Old February 16, 2010   #3
BR
Tomatovillian™

BrokenBar,

After soaking to remove some salt do you change the brine or are they consumed immediately?
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2010   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post
BrokenBar,

After soaking to remove some salt do you change the brine or are they consumed immediately?
Br...no, I make fresh brine. The brine is always cloudy after the fernmentation process so I dump it out. You can then store them in the refrigerator. If you "hot water bath can" them, they will never be as crisp. There is debate, even among experts that a brine that contains NO WATER can be stored un-refrigerated. I do this as well as refrigerate them and have no problem but I wil let you and others make that choice for yourselves.
Old February 16, 2010   #5
BR
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you make fresh brine same salt/water ratio? I once made some that was too salty so I just placed them in a jar with fresh water and it completely changed the taste of the pickle after a couple days.
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2010   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you make fresh brine same salt/water ratio? I once made some that was too salty so I just placed them in a jar with fresh water and it completely changed the taste of the pickle after a couple days.
I make this brine (which I apologize, I should have stated above) to put them in in the refrigerator:
5 cups vinegar (5%)
2 tsp canning or pickling salt
4 tbsp sugar
Old February 18, 2010   #7
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I am wishing I made more pickles last year. It has been a long winter here in MN this year and we still have massive amounts of snow on the ground. My thoughts are starting to turn to gardening. I had alot of fun with the refridgerator pickle recipe that was being tossed around on t-ville last summer.

That being said, what are your favorite cucumber varieties for pickling?

I may have to increase the area of the garden I set aside for cucumber growing.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2010   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
I am wishing I made more pickles last year. It has been a long winter here in MN this year and we still have massive amounts of snow on the ground. My thoughts are starting to turn to gardening. I had alot of fun with the refridgerator pickle recipe that was being tossed around on t-ville last summer.

That being said, what are your favorite cucumber varieties for pickling?

I may have to increase the area of the garden I set aside for cucumber growing.
I grow Parisian Pickler from Baker seeds. It is slow to yellow or develop seeds and they are nice and straight and all of size. The largest they get is about4-5 inches.