Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2018   #1066
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
My own KARMA collection. Leaf roll in protest of unprotected night time temp consistently below 10 for 2 weeks but blooming and setting regardless. Supposed to warm up nicely next week so they should be able to stretch out and take off running.
KarenO
I didn't realize leaf roll can come from overnight temps below 50f. Thanks for that info! Some of my other plants are showing roll on the lower leaves but look green and healthy otherwise. My two Karmas are OK. I am pruning the two plants slightly differently as an experiment, one to a single stem and the other to a double.

Last edited by JosephineRose; June 13, 2018 at 01:25 PM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #1067
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I noticed something odd on my uppermost truss with open flowers - two of the flowers have unusually large stamen (larger than any of the other flowers on this plant). It is only on these two flowers though... and the other two open flowers on that truss are showing the normal, tight stamen that I've been seeing both on my plant and in everyone's photos.

Could this be two separate fused blossoms? There do appear to be double the amount of petals and sepals in each of those flowers.

Or is this something else?

The first two photos show the normal flower on the outside and the 'grande' flowers on the inside.

The last photo is showing that my KARMA Pink has reached the top on my 54" cage... another foot or so and it'll reach the top of the bamboo stake. I think I'll have to top at that point (even though I don't want to do that).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (338.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (310.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (277.1 KB, 140 views)
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #1068
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Yes, those are faciated blooms. Not very common on cherries but it happens on the KARMAs sometimes. Don’t save seed from those, higher chance of an accidental cross personally I would remove them, you’ll just get some lumpy fused small fruit
How’s the weather?
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #1069
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I noticed something odd on my uppermost truss with open flowers - two of the flowers have unusually large stamen (larger than any of the other flowers on this plant). It is only on these two flowers though... and the other two open flowers on that truss are showing the normal, tight stamen that I've been seeing both on my plant and in everyone's photos.

Could this be two separate fused blossoms? There do appear to be double the amount of petals and sepals in each of those flowers.

Or is this something else?

The first two photos show the normal flower on the outside and the 'grande' flowers on the inside.

The last photo is showing that my KARMA Pink has reached the top on my 54" cage... another foot or so and it'll reach the top of the bamboo stake. I think I'll have to top at that point (even though I don't want to do that).
Wow Doug, those 2 flowers look like they're on steroids. Lol
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #1070
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, those are faciated blooms. Not very common on cherries but it happens on the KARMAs sometimes. Don’t save seed from those, higher chance of an accidental cross personally I would remove them, you’ll just get some lumpy fused small fruit

Thank you for confirming what I suspected (though had only every had that happen on larger tomatoes before). I wasn't planning on saving any seeds from this plant as I still have eight left.

Quote:
How’s the weather?
K

The past couple of weeks or so has been mid-70s to low-80s for a high and a low in the 60s. Pretty perfect tomato weather.

Having said that, we did get an unexpected cold snap about four days after I transplanted out in early May. It lasted three days and temps dropped into the upper-30s at night and upper-40s to low-50s during the day. That was two months ago though.

But that early cold spell did cause fused blossoms on all my dwarf plants... including one with six flowers fused into one megabloom on my New Big Dwarf (I sadly culled it).

Last edited by Koala Doug; June 14, 2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old June 14, 2018   #1071
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Here are the three trusses that are currently showing fruit on my KARMA Pink plant:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (333.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (357.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (416.2 KB, 117 views)
Old June 14, 2018   #1072
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Setting fruit very well Doug. Looks like about 2 weeks until you taste them.
Old June 14, 2018   #1073
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Setting fruit very well Doug. Looks like about 2 weeks until you taste them.

Thank you!

I hope it's that early as I was initially expecting to see the first ripe fruit somewhere in the second week in July. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old June 14, 2018   #1074
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Plant is growing nicely and first fruits are taking on size!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F1C612B3-80F5-4427-ADAD-456F5A837A57.jpeg (214.5 KB, 103 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #1075
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
Thank you!

I hope it's that early as I was initially expecting to see the first ripe fruit somewhere in the second week in July. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
IM betting by the Fourth of July.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #1076
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Karma Project

Here are a few pics of one of my Karma Tomatoes. They both are doing really well.
They both have many trusses of tomatoes and are still flowering well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1390.jpg (194.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1393.jpg (83.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1392.jpg (89.1 KB, 99 views)
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #1077
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Plant is growing nicely and first fruits are taking on size!
Looks typical, perfect round fruit set on every blossom. Very nice.
Old June 14, 2018   #1078
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgreen51 View Post
Here are a few pics of one of my Karma Tomatoes. They both are doing really well.
They both have many trusses of tomatoes and are still flowering well.
Those are very large and productive already. Looking good.
Old June 15, 2018   #1079
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Default First Taste

Got my first taste of KARMApink this morning for breakfast. It was yummy!
It was my fifth variety to ripen just behind Oregon Spring, Rebel Alliance, Tiny Tim, and Black Cherry. Also ripening about the same time are Homestead, Speckled Roman & Mocha Splash. All these plants were started at the same time and transplanted outside around April 11. Got another one on the counter and two more will be picked today. The plant is growing crazy big. I move them all this weekend to their new home @265 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KARMA3.JPG (47.3 KB, 84 views)
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018   #1080
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensaplenty View Post
Got my first taste of KARMApink this morning for breakfast. It was yummy!
It was my fifth variety to ripen just behind Oregon Spring, Rebel Alliance, Tiny Tim, and Black Cherry. Also ripening about the same time are Homestead, Speckled Roman & Mocha Splash. All these plants were started at the same time and transplanted outside around April 11. Got another one on the counter and two more will be picked today. The plant is growing crazy big. I move them all this weekend to their new home @265 miles away.
So lovely to hear your taste assesment. Thank you for that and the photo. Sounds like you will be working hard this weekend, and it sounds like you will be moving just in time, before all your tomatoes start to go ripe at once.