Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 5, 2019   #361
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I had probably just finished washing the carrots...
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #362
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Today, World Tomato Society published an article I wrote about The Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomatoes Project. https://www.facebook.com/worldtomato...15315375374215
Old September 5, 2019   #363
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I'm speaking 4 times at the Heirloom Seed Expo in Santa Rosa California next week, September 10th to 12th, 2019. If any of you are going, I'd love to meet you in person.
Old September 5, 2019   #364
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

those carrots were awesome! how did they taste?
Old December 29, 2019   #365
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Default Joseph's Seeds 2020.

Joseph! Have planted seeds for the coming 2020 season in Austin, Texas, including your variety, "Best of Wilding 2018." Also planted seeds saved from your "Big Hill" that was harvested here...will be interesting if it is a "Big Hill." or something else. Soil-less mix, packed into three-and-a-half ounce cups with holes in bottoms. Below LED and above heat mat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato plantings.jpg (176.2 KB, 238 views)
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2021   #366
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Please note that a number of Joseph panamorous (= easy cross pollination) tomato lines are available to buy : https://store.experimentalfarmnetwor...ions/lofthouse
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2021   #367
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Thanks for the grow reports Harry.

So far this spring, I have planted about 3000 tomato seeds. Just about all of them are for the Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomatoes project. So they are wild species, and inter-species hybrids, and back-crosses to both the wild ancestors and domestic ancestors.

I continue work on domesticating the wild species. Selecting them for larger, sweeter fruits, and for local-adaptation to my growing conditions and short-season.

I am expecting one more batch of inter-species hybrid seed from a collaborator. At this point, I'm expecting to plant those into the greenhouse, for some fall frost protection.

I love this project. It has captured my heart and imagination. And the flavors!!!! Oh my.
Joseph, what species are you working with? I remember S. peruvianum, S. habrochaites, and S. pimpinellifolium,anything else? I want to plant a few this year and I do wonder how much I have to try to encourage them to cross ..Last year I have tried to cross Neorickii or just save seeds but I have made a mistake and planted it in a planter not in a ground, and when the heat wave came it lost all fruits:/ By the way, amazing carrots ![huge carrot fan here]

Last edited by loeb; February 28, 2021 at 04:22 PM.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2021   #368
loeb
Tomatovillian™

OK I just remembered another thread here and made my update.. I wonder how crossess of pennelli are doing..
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote