Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 25, 2014   #31
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Waterloo Country Mennonite Pole Bean....aka Purple Stripes

A good all purpose bean...good fresh eating, shelled and dried. Handles heat well and keeps putting out until temps get down until about 5C....even less. I've harvested fresh as late as mid November! (...that's provided there's not snow on the ground already...lol)

Got my original seed at the Doon Heritage Crossroads Amish kitchen garden, during the seed saving course they were teaching about 10 years ago. Got to hit the three kitchen gardens onsite plus harvested from other plants all over the property. Definitely was worth the price of the course.

The funny part is that somehow I wasn't able to get the name written down on the original seeds. So came up with the name to make it recognisable. Took me almost 3 years to track down the same guy that taught the course and ask him again what the name was. Even told him what I had been calling it. He laughed and said that "Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Bean" was just as accurate, if not more than the usual "Purple Stripes" and not to worry about it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #32
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Tracy you may have posted it elsewhere and I missed it. Where are you moving to?
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Tracy you may have posted it elsewhere and I missed it. Where are you moving to?
Southern North Carolina! My husband is taking a teaching job for UNC-Pembroke.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #34
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Gold of Bacau is my favorite. A roma type with flat, lemony yellow pods that stay tender even after they get big. I'll also have Rattle snake and a purple roma type that I am too lazy to go look up right now.

I really don't do that well with beans. The fence I have to run them on really doesn't get enough sun once the other plants take over. (and the critters like the bush types way too much.) But those few meals we do get are tasty enough that I hate not to at least try!

Last edited by livinonfaith; March 26, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #35
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Southern North Carolina! My husband is taking a teaching job for UNC-Pembroke.
How exciting! I imagine you will find the climate more hospitable for gardening than Phoenix.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #36
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm so excited about gardening in NC! I can grow blueberries,strawberries and lots of tree fruit! Peaches, not the flavorless peaches that grow in Phoenix. I so miss my peach and apple trees from when I was in OK.
I'm considering having a small you-pick farm. But, I may want to keep all the fruit for canning and freezing, too. I will need a giant freezer for dog/cat meat anyway.
We are planning to buy some acres, maybe 30-40. Just have to get close to our asking price on our house so that we have spending money.
Anybody want to move to Mesa, AZ? I have some nice raised bed gardens and will be leaving my jalapeño trees for the new owners. It's actually pretty good gardening here once you figure out that the planting calendars are a necessity. My winter gardens are always stunning and I've never had any problems with eggplants, peppers and okra. Just planted three huge gardens with squash, beans, Armenian cukes, corn, okra, southern peas and long beans. Should have artichokes any day. Artichokes grow great here. Basil, okra, and other hot weather crops are insane. Tomatoes take some finesse to get them planted early enough before the heat and spider mites hit. Some years are amazing and others are too hot/dry. I still have a Matt's Wild cherry planted last spring which is going crazy right now.
I have tons of irrigation water for $65 a year, although it would be nice to add a cistern or barrel to store excess. The water comes every month in winter and very two weeks in summer. I have giant pine trees for shade in 3/4 of the yard.

Last edited by Tracydr; March 28, 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote