Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2018   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Well, my friend lives outside of Albany proper, far enough away to grow tomatoes & not politicians.

I'm sending her plants (one of which is DLH), not seeds, so it's already grown and earmarked for her. Her plants will go up to her when my baby brother and her son travel back to New York for work.

Thank you for the offer of seeds, but I must decline, seeing as I have a ton of DLH seeds. The MMMM will benefit from my surplus this year.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Well, my friend lives outside of Albany proper, far enough away to grow tomatoes & not politicians.

I'm sending her plants (one of which is DLH), not seeds, so it's already grown and earmarked for her. Her plants will go up to her when my baby brother and her son travel back to New York for work.

Thank you for the offer of seeds, but I must decline, seeing as I have a ton of DLH seeds. The MMMM will benefit from my surplus this year.

Nan
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #18
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Sounds good Rhoder- thanks for sharing with friends! I have planted only one, and given about 6 away to friends as well. Unfortunately, I don't know which RL plant is DLH in my garden due to a mix up in the seed tray. Oh well, I'll know when the fruit shows up! Best of luck!

Darin
Darin, I think you sent me about 10 seeds and I intended to germinate all and share with other gardeners in my community garden but I dropped the package after sowing a few into a pot and the rest went into the carpet, never to be seen again So just my friend and I will be growing your tomato this year... I'll save seeds and share with the other gardeners next year.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Folks, if anyone wants them, I have plenty of these DLH seeds fresh from 2 months ago. Just pm me with your request and address.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #20
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoder551 View Post
Darin, I think you sent me about 10 seeds and I intended to germinate all and share with other gardeners in my community garden but I dropped the package after sowing a few into a pot and the rest went into the carpet, never to be seen again So just my friend and I will be growing your tomato this year... I'll save seeds and share with the other gardeners next year.
Shtuff happens!! I had Jiffy pods numbered in a tray, and they fell out of the tray into the yard, so I have no idea what is what! Thanks for growing out DLH
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Shtuff happens!! I had Jiffy pods numbered in a tray, and they fell out of the tray into the yard, so I have no idea what is what! Thanks for growing out DLH
I put 2 - 72 cell trays out ... One in cantaloupe, the other in watermelons. Under the eves of my cabin, on the sunny side. It poured, gutter plugged up from tree litter...washed all but 20 or so seedlings away... The ones I saved I'm not actually sure what they are... I planted 4 types of cantaloupe and 6 watermelons in the trays. Still time to plant inground seeds! Again...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #22
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

We're going to have to start tattooing the cotyledons of our seedlings to keep their identities straight!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018   #23
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
We're going to have to start tattooing the cotyledons of our seedlings to keep their identities straight!

Nan
Exactly! Grady looks like you and me both will be checking out the fruit types to find out what happened. Jiffy pods are great! Until someone (or something) decides to rearrange things!
Old May 12, 2018   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
So Albany is another native vulture nesting ground like Austin is.

Worth
If I were to write what I think about big cities...
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post

Me too Marsha.

Carolyn, trying to tape her fingers together so she can't type what she would like to do.
Old August 13, 2018   #26
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

So my DLH growout this year is showing both hearts and large round fruit. The round fruits were first, the heart shapes fruits are the "second wave." Interesting. Is this unusual?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #27
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
So my DLH growout this year is showing both hearts and large round fruit. The round fruits were first, the heart shapes fruits are the "second wave." Interesting. Is this unusual?
Yes, not all of the fruit are pointy, there are several that are quite blunt. I have observed that the blunt ones are near the bottom, but become more pointy further up the plant as the season wears on. Here is a picture of a 2 lb. DLH that is very blunt, but was the first fruit from a plant that produced many pointed hearts. I have included a picture of some of those fruit, in a windowsill, for comparison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 3 6-23-17.JPG (138.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DLH 1 7-20-17.JPG (96.0 KB, 47 views)
Old August 13, 2018   #28
imp
Tomatovillian™

Goodness, that is a big green tomato!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #29
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Goodness, that is a big green tomato!
I let this one turn red (I guess pink technically), Imp, and it produced many fine sandwiches

Last edited by Spartanburg123; August 13, 2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: text error
Old August 13, 2018   #30
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

That is exactly what I am getting. Thanks very much!
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote