Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2016   #46
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

1. Best tasting tomato Gregoris Altai
2. Best cherry tomato Black Cherry
3. Best green when ripe tomato Aunt Ruby's German Green
4. Best huge tomato Gregoris Altai
5. Best early tomato Beaver Lodge
6. Best black tomato Cherokee Purple
7. Best heart shaped tomato
8. Best sauce tomato Speckled Roman
9. Best potato leafed tomato Prudens Purple
10. Best bi colored tomato Old German for taste but poor production

Last edited by marc_groleau; May 19, 2016 at 08:51 AM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #47
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Interesting Observation:

I took a quick survey to see if any of my 29 varieties come up in the favorites list.
The answer is : 5 of them : Cherokee Purple, Azoychka, Indian Stripe , Ananas Noire, Old German

This shows that how diverse a group of gardeners we are. We all have our favorites, likes and dislikes. For example, I don't care for GWR ( I mean really green, not bi/multi color). I prefer RED over Pink. I like tomatoes that are not perfectly round. They look like store tomatoes to me. But I do grow some of them too. I am a visual person. I like varieties with different colors and shapes in a basket. I eat with my eye first then with my mouth. Some times it is all about perception.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #48
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Interesting Observation:

I took a quick survey to see if any of my 29 varieties come up in the favorites list.
The answer is : 5 of them : Cherokee Purple, Azoychka, Indian Stripe , Ananas Noire, Old German

This shows that how diverse a group of gardeners we are. We all have our favorites, likes and dislikes. For example, I don't care for GWR ( I mean really green, not bi/multi color). I prefer RED over Pink. I like tomatoes that are not perfectly round. They look like store tomatoes to me. But I do grow some of them too. I am a visual person. I like varieties with different colors and shapes in a basket. I eat with my eye first then with my mouth. Some times it is all about perception.

Gardeneer
I also like varieties with different colors, but in love with pinks and heart shaped, but I still have some rounds for the taste or earliness.
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #49
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Welli, it was bound to happen: I made a purchase
Some irresistible varieties: Malachite Siberian is a smaller fruited variety than Malachitovaya Shtatulka, it has green / yellow stripes and supposedly an unique taste.
I also got Klyukve ve sakhare - two years ago, I bought a tomatof of that name that turned out to be something else (it was not bad, just not what it was supposed to be). I hope to finally ge the real thing directly from Aelita.. it should be, as they're the ones who developed it.
I also could not resist some of the supposedly early varieties and heart shaped. I read some people's responses about Klyukva v sakhare and in certain climate zone it's a determinate, but in other's is a huge indeterminate (higher than a one story roof), harvest in both cases are very good 'till frost. Was thinking to get one, but then decided to try Isuminka/Raising (a heart shaped one). Also got a determinate one - Lakomka (supposedly early variety, pink, round one). That would be my first try with Aelita.

Last edited by Allisa; May 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 19, 2016   #50
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that tidbit about Klyukve ve Sakhare, I didn't know others had also had such various reactions. Itis supposed to be a dwarf, ornamental style (like Red Robin), but mine was quite a bush. Definitely a det., but not tiny.. the fruits were like Roma. (they were tasty, if I waited long enough to make sue they were ripe..)

It seems that Russisan breeding/seed companies put out a lot of determinate varieties, both red and pink.. so they must be quite popular there. That's what are very useful in containters and limited space gardens, so I hope those varieties will become more known in Finland too.
(Rozovyi Sovenir, Rosa Cherri etc..)
I'll report the results with these new varieties, perhaps next year - or I might try the Sugary Cranberry this year already..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #51
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Thanks for that tidbit about Klyukve ve Sakhare, I didn't know others had also had such various reactions. Itis supposed to be a dwarf, ornamental style (like Red Robin), but mine was quite a bush. Definitely a det., but not tiny.. the fruits were like Roma. (they were tasty, if I waited long enough to make sue they were ripe..)

It seems that Russisan breeding/seed companies put out a lot of determinate varieties, both red and pink.. so they must be quite popular there. That's what are very useful in containters and limited space gardens, so I hope those varieties will become more known in Finland too.
(Rozovyi Sovenir, Rosa Cherri etc..)
I'll report the results with these new varieties, perhaps next year - or I might try the Sugary Cranberry this year already..
You might receive your seeds earlier than me, my estimated time is at least in one month. It'll be too late for this season. It'll be interesting to see your results.

Determinates (red, pink, yellow/orange, striped) are popular there because people are growing them outside or under the low tunnels in short seasons. So lots of good varieties are developed for their climate zone.
Old May 19, 2016   #52
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Very much like our growing climate. For some reason, it's the indeterminate varieties that seem to be most popular here - and most commonly available, either cherry, slicer or whatever... There would be much use for the smaller, bush varieties, if marketed and made more available.

Of course, many hobby gardeners order seeds from abroad at various seed sites, or visit Russia, or Estonia, for all those treasures we cannot find here.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #53
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

1. Best tasting tomato: Elgin Pink, Biyskaya Roza, Blackberry, Cherokee Purple, JD's Special C-Tex
2. Best cherry tomato: Black Cherry, Ron's Carbon Copy
3. Best green when ripe tomato: did not grow any
4. Best huge tomato: Claude Brown’s Y. Giant
5. Best early tomato: Matina, Amazon Chocolate, Azoichka,
6. Best black tomato: Cherokee Purple, Blackberry, GGWT, Spudakee
7. Best heart shaped tomato: Grightmire's Pride
8. Best sauce tomato: any mix of black and yellow tomatoes
9. Best potato leafed tomato: Fred Limbaugh
10. Best bi colored tomato: Ananas Noire aka Black Pineapple (super productive beast)
11. Best dwarf tomato: Sweet Sue (in my garden it grow to 4-5 feet and one of the last to go)

This year I will be adding few new varieties to my garden. Super exited about it.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #54
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Really, my favorite tomatoes are mostly the ones that I have got seeds for them from store bought heirlooms. That is partiality and human bias. I have got 4 of them. One is positively identified : ANANAS NOIRE but the other 3 are not.
TIGER GRAPE , BROWN HEART , SARA BLACK LA. The last one looks like IS but it is more like Sara Black. The middle one is what you see in my current avatar.
Here is Tiger Grape.
sep 13 - tiger 2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sep 13- tiger 1.jpg (47.6 KB, 165 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote