Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2017   #1
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Default Blight control

Is it safe to apply Daconil and Neem Oil together?
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzlaguzla View Post
Is it safe to apply Daconil and Neem Oil together?
In my opinion nope it isn't. First blight is a general word, but Daconil is only effective for the two most common FUNGAL foliage diseases, Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot.

The attachment sites for those pathogens is on the upper leaf surface. The directions for dilution of Daconil if you buy the concentrate as most do,is titrated so that all those attachment sites are blocked so that the pathogens can't attach.

In addition,if you add anything else to your Daconil it not only dilutes the effective concentration,but whatever you add may bind to the daconil molecules thus leaving you with little protection

And how did I find out about this. I wanted to mix daconil and fertilizer in the same large sprayer, wondered about that,then called the maker of Daconil and asked to speak to someone who could help,they did and he was outstanding in explaining all of this to me.

Hope,the above helps,

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2017   #3
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much, Maam
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Neem Oil, is oil based so I think it would prevent Daconil from binding and staying on the foliage.

I use them separately alternating.
Neem is effective on insects/mites too. Daconil does not have that feature.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Neem is also an effective foliar antifungal, against Early Blight and Septoria LS.
I like liquid copper fungicide best, and it's also antibacterial. LCF can be combined with permethrin/pyrethrin pesticide to cover all your bases. The reason I like the copper is that I am not always so good about Clarington and rinsing my sprayer, and if neem isn't rinsed it will leave a gummy hard to remove residue.
Also, neem must only be applied early or late, not in direct sunlight. Copper is a little more forgiving but still should not be sprayed during the heat of the day.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote