Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 19, 2017   #961
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Imp, in a normal year here, the upper level high that stalls over us - making it so hot here in Texas/Oklahoma from mid July through mid September - I think is going to move northeast because of the upper airflow. It has happened the past two years, and what I have observed is that that it is going to happen this year too.

I'm not a meteorologist by any means, but I do spend most of my time outside enjoying nature - this has not been a normal year for us. Stuffs a changin'.

I can hope for that to happen, but will stay prepared for the relentless heat. I swear, if the hospital would offer enough for the house, I would move some where else for sure!

Then I would have all new to me weather to gripe about!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #962
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Imp yes.

My brother wants to move to anywhere where it's cold most of the time.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #963
oakley
Tomatovillian™

nfld july 19 2017.jpgDon't want to jinks it but pretty perfect here in Newfoundland. How many straight days
of Sun, low wind, 75, 60 night, ?...thick fog rolled in a couple times but left quickly after.

Has not happened in recent memory since I've had a home here, 13 yrs.

Poppies blooming, lupines, now rugosa roses, red and white...still lots of rhubarb.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #964
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Imp yes.

Nice thing about the cold...you can always put more crap on....but in the heat, no way
can you keep taking crap off.

My choice, not recommended, but I chose the cold. I'll be retiring in a cold climate.
Old July 19, 2017   #965
imp
Tomatovillian™

Some studies show it is cheaper to cool a structure than heat it. I would just enjoy some moderation, LOL!!
Old July 19, 2017   #966
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can put a coat on that is what I told a guy today that likes the heat.
This sucks it is 99 it might as well be 100.
I hate Texas this time of year.
I let Smokey out and she took about 15 minutes of it and ran back in didn't go 5 feet and flopped on the cool floor.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #967
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, so little time ago it seemed that winter would never end, but once it did, weeks and weeks of lovely weather.
It's been on the 'too hot for me' side for a couple of days, humidity in the 75% or so, humidex getting to 30 C or more. One more day of it, then we get some 'normal' summer temperatures... at least I'll get more done! And a bit of rain and cloud for a change.
For some reason, the wind we had was just enough to cool the greenhouse tomatoes to the point of not dropping too many blossoms. I'm really surprised to see this much fruit set in a sunny July, and glad to see it I guess!
The outdoor plants have been just as happy as in, for awhile now. Maybe wishing they were in bigger containers, but they'll get by.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #968
encore
Tomatovillian™

2more storms coming tonight, first one might clip SE wisc. , that one is west now heading SE, 70 mph winds, second one will probably get us around 3AM. sump pump just quit running yesterday! ENOUGH ALREADY! what ever happened to a good old rain storm? now it's hot weather front moves in and severe storms!
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #969
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Oakley your place is just gorgeous! Beautiful pics.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #970
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Well, so little time ago it seemed that winter would never end, but once it did, weeks and weeks of lovely weather.
It's been on the 'too hot for me' side for a couple of days, humidity in the 75% or so, humidex getting to 30 C or more. One more day of it, then we get some 'normal' summer temperatures... at least I'll get more done! And a bit of rain and cloud for a change.
For some reason, the wind we had was just enough to cool the greenhouse tomatoes to the point of not dropping too many blossoms. I'm really surprised to see this much fruit set in a sunny July, and glad to see it I guess!
The outdoor plants have been just as happy as in, for awhile now. Maybe wishing they were in bigger containers, but they'll get by.
It was too hot to sit out in the sun the past few days,
Kept moving the chairs into shade, then switched to some sun for a minute...
did garden chores at sunset and early morning. Still not breaking a sweat at any
time of the day,

Catching Cod every morning, calm sea,...priceless.
Old July 19, 2017   #971
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am so glad you are somewhere lovely. Much better than sweaty and sticky!!!
Old July 19, 2017   #972
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Here it is hot and sticky. Supposed to be hot tomorrow and I have blue berries to pick.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #973
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

It's been mid to upper 90's the last week and they are saying 100f on Saturday. Humidity during the middle of the day mid 50's. Put me in the hot catagory. I worked today and only went outside to take my breaks in my car and come home for lunch. Oh, and watered my container tomatoes. I don't know what our heat index was other than hot, but am sure it was over 105. They are saying we might get some rain next week.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #974
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We have also entered Blossom Drop range, ie 95F. That is normal for this time of year around here and expect it to continue steadily til the end of August. But luckily humidity is not very high.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #975
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Imp yes.

Hmm, sounds like he needs to come hunker down here in January and February before pulling up stakes. Does brutally relentlessly cold, windy and icy count? The grass is always greener,,, Oh and it is not cold here now 99 with dew points in the upper 70's , probably colder there. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote