Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2017   #1
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Default White Lightning tomato?

Hi
I have a question about White Lightning tomato. I saw it listed in the SandHill Preservation Centers pdf catalog. It is listed as a good tasting white tomato esp. tasty with Mexican Food. I was curious, and googled as search-but can't find anything at all about this tomato.
Can anyone tell me more about it?
Also, I hope I am posting this is the right place.

tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post
Hi
I have a question about White Lightning tomato. I saw it listed in the SandHill Preservation Centers pdf catalog. It is listed as a good tasting white tomato esp. tasty with Mexican Food. I was curious, and googled as search-but can't find anything at all about this tomato.
Can anyone tell me more about it?
Also, I hope I am posting this is the right place.

Reading my 2017 catalog, I refuse to sit and go through anyones website, when I have an option and what I read is

Midseason, developed by Curt Burroughs,meaning he bred it, a large pale yellow color. Produces a large amount of large sized fruit with a flavor that works well with Mexican food. Better tasting than most

So I go to page 97 and find that Curt and Ester Burroughs are from Missouri and are very interested in genetic preservation and have helped us with a few varieties for this year and plan for more in future years.Curt has an avid interest in Lima beans and is helping with Tom Knoches collection.

Now I get the picture.

That description was written by Curt,not Glenn, and the Mexica food reference was no doubt to MO, and not to Calamus,IA where Glenn and Linda are.

So it's new for 2017 which means Googling will get you nowhere and if Glenn/Linda were still submitting their varieties to Tania's superb website you might have found it there but they are no longer doing that. To become complete I then checked my 2017 SSE Yearbook and no White Lightning.

I've grown quite a few whites,some are whiter than others, some with taste, but the best I've found as to taste and whiteness is the variety WhiteQueen.

And yes,I know Glenn and Linda very well and have for several decades, I asked him if he wanted any new tomato varieties to trial this summer,knowing I sent him 44 for last summer,and he said he wasn't getting any younger and had room this summer, so now I have to remember to get going and send him some tomato seeds.

Hope the above helps,

Carolyn
Old April 4, 2017   #3
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Hi
Thank you so much for the information on the White Lightning tomato. I do appreciate it very much.
So, White Lightning is a new white tomato! It is no wonder that I could not find it online or on Tatiana's Tomatobase. Again, thank you for the information.
I read about Mr. and Mrs. Downs when I read their catalog-and incredible undertaking!
I have ordered from the SandHill Preservation Center for a long time. I missed ordering from them last year. I was ask by a family member to grow some common variety of tomato. I can find the plants easy enough. However, I think I will order it from The SandHill instead. That and White lightning, probably White Queen as well-thanks to your information.
Mr. and Mrs.
Burroughs are in MO. I am in N.W. AR-neighboring states. If White Lightning does well here, I might do something I have never done before-save tomato seed.
My jaw dropped open when I saw who replied to message. Thank you much!
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote