Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2017   #1
pipefitter508
Tomatovillian™

Default Hardening off

I buy all my garden supplies from a farm near by they have 9
Greenhouse were they grow thousands of tomato plants to sell
So I asked about hardening off so many an I was told what they do is
With hold watering till they wilt then water this hardens them off they also use this method when growing the seedlings instead of grow lights this prevents them from stretching
Has anyone here heard of or used this method
Bob

Last edited by pipefitter508; April 4, 2017 at 03:14 PM.
pipefitter508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, a lot of wholesale plant distributors do this. I toured a facility that showed us the same method. They used misters and only gave the plants enough water to survive until ready to ship.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Reducing water, never to the point of wilting, is one of the steps in the hardening off process which is the term for the process of transitioning seedlings grown indoor to prepare them for transplant into an outdoor garden.
There are slight variations in methods and there is a lot of good information online regarding how to do it properly to give seedlings the best chance of adjusting well from a sheltered environment with controlled conditions to the temp swings, full sunlight and wind if outdoor conditions.
Commercial greenhouses restrict water and fertilizer prior to shipping to dramatically slow the growth so that the seedlings don't get leggy in transit in dark semi trailers.
Many folks think seedlings they buy are ready to plant but unless those seedlings purchased were grown outdoors, all purchased plants should undergo the same hardening off process that homegrown seedlings need.
I have a firm belief that there is a vast difference between reducing and stopping watering and that at no time should seedlings be allowed to wilt. I believe drought to the point of wilting stresses them, causes nutrient uptake issues and sets them back needlessly.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; April 4, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipefitter508 View Post
With hold watering till they wilt then water
I treat all of my plants that way. It keeps me from losing plants to damping off.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

To me hardening off is simply getting them used to the UV rays of the sun nothing more.
You can (harden off) all you want with water, they will burn up if hauled outside and left after growing a month or two in the house and never seeing UV light.
The later in the spring this is the worse the effect due to the intensity of the sun being greater.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know a guy that stays in the house all day and sleeps never sees the sun.
Fish belly white.
He would need hardening off.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Unless we spend winters visiting tanning booths, we northerners have to harden ourselves off every summer with a backyard base tan before hitting the beach, otherwise we'd turn as red as a boiled lobster in just an hour or two.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Withholding water may toughen them up for the stresses of shipping but I do not see how it would harden them off to living outdoors in bright sunlight.

It seems like unnecessary stress for home grown plants to me.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote