Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 24, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default need help with containers!

Basically I am looking for sturdy, large containers that are reasonable in price (by 'reasonable' I mean not really expensive).

I'd like them to 45-50 gallons in size per container. They need to be big, cause melons will be grown in them. I tried growing winter squash (1 plant per container) and this was partly successful; the reason they didn't do well wasn't cause of being grown in a container but because of a squash bug infestation.

The only 45 gallon to 50 gallon containers I've found are flimsy.

Please don't suggest 'just look around'. I'm not trying to be rude but I've tried this; yes I've managed to get my hands on free containers, but they're too small, only 5-10 gallon size.

I'd prefer it to be plastic so the plant doesn't get overheated.

Last edited by aimeruni; April 24, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

For something that big I think it's going to be hard to find something that is shallow. For example a there are 55 gallon drums everywhere but they are 3 foot tall. A 50 gallon plastic stock tank is an option but I'll bet it's $80 or more.

If I was going to do it as cheap as possible I'd use cement blocks stacked.

Old tractor tires have been used. They are somewhere between ugly and very ugly. I suspect I could figure out someway to side them so they looked better. I have one painted but it still looks like a painted tire.

How many do you need and how much each do you want to spend. Rememer you can have it quality, cheap, or fast. Pick any two.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #3
lefolly
Tomatovillian™

Got any feed stores or cattle ranchers near you?
I brought back a dozen of the mineral supplements tubs from my aunt and uncles ranch, and they're around the size of my 35 gallon smart pots.

Heres something similar:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...ein-tub-125-lb
lefolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #4
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

Would smart pots work for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old April 25, 2014   #5
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

NOTE: When I say 'short' with growing season, it's only 120 days here, and that's strictly for warm weather crops (unless we get an Indian summer).

I'm not growing melon plants in the ground where I live; the growing season here is short, and I don't trust the weather here to grow something like a melon in the ground. I think growing them in containers will allow them to mature faster, so I'll actually get a harvest.

The biggest thing with the containers is they have to keep the melon plants warm, that's why I'm growing them in containers. Will the smart pots provide enough insulation to keep the melon plants warm; are they reusable?

Unfortunately $50 per container is still too expensive, and they need to be bigger than 35 gallons cause of what is being grown in them. Sorry I'm not trying to be picky

Last edited by aimeruni; April 25, 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old April 25, 2014   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Where are you? The UP?
What you want - "sturdy, large containers that are reasonable in price - don't suggest 'just look around'. That is a tall order.

You can get 40 to 45 gallon black plastic at many hydro stores for about $20. They are generally flimsy.
You can get the mineral tubs and 55 gallon plastic drums, as suggested by Doug and Alex, sometimes for free or really cheap, but you will have to hunt for them.

The smart pots as suggested by jmhammRN are probably your best bet.
65 gallon for less than $20.
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/549

Fabric pots in the same size for less than $15.
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/824

Question - How big a plant and how many melons per plant are you planning on allowing? Are you going to let the plants sprawl?

I am of the opinion that you can grow melons in containers as small as 15 gallons. You can easily do them in 20 to 25 gallon containers.
Trellising and trimming constantly are going to be required.
Trimming will be required anyway in a 65 gallon container.

The harder part will be the constant watering and keeping them fed unless you have the ability to automate it.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

What about 55 gallon plastic drums? those are really huge (as in a lot of volume to fill) check at a dairy farm. The neighbor uses hoof dip/zinc solution for his cows. He offered them to me. Maybe those would work.. Smuckers isn't far from me and I think they also give away 55 gallon food grade. Check if there are any commercial food suppliers in your area and ask them. They come cheap or at a minimal charge. Wholesale baccto or whatever brand you have available for potting mix probably would fill one barrel per bale at about 18-20.00. You could even build a "tower garden" out of them to plant several plants on the sides of them and not just one in the top of it. I saw a youtube vid about making one a while ago.
Old April 25, 2014   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I don't know that a plastic container will do much more than a fabric container to keep your plants warm. Wrapping them with insulation might hold in some of the soil's heat if it gets chilly. This won't do anything for the foliage or fruit, especially if they are sprawling outside the container.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #9
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately I don't have any dairy farms anywhere near me here. Somebody recommended insulating the containers; how exactly would I do this?

You suggested growing the melon plants in smaller containers; however would the health of the plant and/or the size of the fruit be compromised by doing this? I do have some bush type melons; can I grow them in smaller containers without compromising the size of the fruit and/or health of the plant in the process?

Yes I do plan to trellis a lot of the melon plants being grown in containers; however a lot of the melon types I have will be vine types.

Where else can I find 50 gallon drums you recommended aside from dairy farms?
Old April 25, 2014   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I remember someone mentioning the car wash uses drum size containers for soap and rinsing agents. and scored getting some there ..I don't remember if they were 35 or 50 gal size. Any Food packing or making facilities near you? Sanridge Gormet? any large Bakeries, any Milk/icecream processing facilities? Daisy, Superior etc? Keep asking. Put an ad in a local paper (craigs list is starting to scare me, but go there if you want and you feel comfortable doing so, but ask for food grade containers).
Old April 25, 2014   #11
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I heard car washes get soap in them and often give them away for free. But I haven't followed up on that tip. Good luck!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #12
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

65 gallon for less than $20.

http://www.hydroponics.net/c/549

Wow, that's a pretty good price if shipping isn't too much.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 25, 2014   #13
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Insulating - I would not waste the time and effort. Containers warm up a lot sooner than the ground which gives you an early jump on the season, combined with starting plants inside. Once you get an end of season freeze it no longer matters if the soil is warm.

Containers - What Carolyn said.....

Container size - You can't plant them and forget them like you can in the ground. You will have to manage your plants and the number of melons you allow to grow. Smaller containers merely means less per plant and less foliage as well. You can easily trellis the vining melons too.
Run a google image search on "growing melons on a trellis" and a few variations through your search engine of choice and you will find 50 different variations of how people do it.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #14
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

I use the Home Depot plastic containers. They last few years and I leave them out all winter
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote