Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2013   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Tiny, tiny beginnings...

My first set of blooms produced wonderful petals and sepals. But all I have now to show that pollination took place, is very tiny tiny tomato beginnings, even in the megablooms...! It seems the crazy weather has tampered with the fruit setting process, and the nutrients are rushing to the next set of flowers.

The first set was 'self-pollinated', or the plant only gently shaken. With the second set I applied the electric toothbrush technique, and that seems to have done the trick: much larger fruits that are rapidly growing.

Are my first fruits doomed to stay so tiny...?
I had several megablooms and was so happy, expecting some giant tomatoes.. but next time I am wise and use the toothbrush since the first flower opens her eyes
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #2
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
My first set of blooms produced wonderful petals and sepals. But all I have now to show that pollination took place, is very tiny tiny tomato beginnings, even in the megablooms...! It seems the crazy weather has tampered with the fruit setting process, and the nutrients are rushing to the next set of flowers.

The first set was 'self-pollinated', or the plant only gently shaken. With the second set I applied the electric toothbrush technique, and that seems to have done the trick: much larger fruits that are rapidly growing.

Are my first fruits doomed to stay so tiny...?
I had several megablooms and was so happy, expecting some giant tomatoes.. but next time I am wise and use the toothbrush since the first flower opens her eyes
If the size of the plant at pollination time is smaller than needed, it can limit supply of nutrients. Which results in a smaller fruit. My first tomatoes are smaller than usual, I transplanted them way to early. I knew that, just wanted to experiment.
Smaller fruit is better than none. Good luck. Having fruit set is an exciting time. You know that you are getting there.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ella! Indeed, small fruit is better than no fruit. Just concerned if the plant now for some reason decided to put all its energies into the latter set of flowers/blooms...

The size wasn't a problem, they were all ready and established by the time that flowers appeared.
Looking forward to seeing what shall take place with the megablooms, so far their fruit are still so small ...
Old July 12, 2013   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I am not expert, but perhaps the plant needs a dose of nutrients? That's what I've read on here after fruiting begins.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Plenty of nutrients to start with, and also some added boost. Like I said, the second set of flowers gives out bigger and 'fruitier' tomatoes. It seems, somehow, that the plants concentrates the nutrient flow into the latter ones and forgets the first fruits...
Old July 12, 2013   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, forgot to ask if your tomato is determinate variety or the indeterminate. They behave differently.

Old July 12, 2013   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

IMO it's the price you pay for starting early, before the summer temperatures have kicked in - but depending on the variety, they may grow those little fruit nubs later, or not. For example, every year Black Cherry would set these 'empty nests' and never grow them - all the action happened further up the plant. But Anna Russian and other hearts or bigger fruited varieties I have seen set the little nubs and grow them later on, after the temperature has gone up, or after the first fruit have been harvested. Black Sea Man would set a full first cluster but only grow some of them to the point of ripeness, then afterwards the little ones would come on.

The only thing to watch for, if those little nubs are black or turn black they're toast. Otherwise, leave em and hope for the best.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2013   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ella, they are indeterminates, Black Krim that is supposed to make large ones.
The temperatures have been more than summer-y... scorching heat at times, and my balcony is a hot place, almost no air flow, which causes stress to the tomatoes. (My bell pepper however is happy in the heat and produces fruit after fruit...)
Old July 13, 2013   #9
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

If temperature is at 40 Celsius or about, I would recommend (to protect roots from frying) to cover the exposed side of the container with aluminum foil or something to prevent overheating. Wish you good luck.

Old July 13, 2013   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
For example, every year Black Cherry would set these 'empty nests' and never grow them - all the action happened further up the plant. But Anna Russian and other hearts or bigger fruited varieties I have seen set the little nubs and grow them later on, after the temperature has gone up, or after the first fruit have been harvested. Black Sea Man would set a full first cluster but only grow some of them to the point of ripeness, then afterwards the little ones would come on.

The only thing to watch for, if those little nubs are black or turn black they're toast. Otherwise, leave em and hope for the best.
That's interesting to hear about those varieties - I wonder if it's a common trait in them, or are they just jesting in your garden
Will wait and see ..