Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2018   #46
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Unless I've burned something that has nails in it I always put the wood ashes on our garden. The old timers knew what they were doing.
Old April 3, 2018   #47
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

I post erratically. I am no expert. A year or so ago it seemed to me it became en vogue for people to create and name their own heirlooms as fast as possible and release the seeds to others before the seed was stabilized. In addition, I don't think this site is a place for beginners anymore. I would be intimidated if I were just starting to grow tomatoes. Just my opinion. Maybe the site is too difficult/overwhelming for neophytes.

Donna

Last edited by SpookyShoe; April 3, 2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #48
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
I post erratically. I am no expert. A year or so ago it seemed to me it became en vogue for people to create and name their own heirlooms as fast as possible and release the seeds to others before the seed was stabilized. In addition, I don't think this site is a place for beginners anymore. I would be intimidated if I were just starting to grow tomatoes. Just my opinion. Maybe the site is too difficult/overwhelming for neophytes.

Donna
Donna- I agree. Funny, I have a cousin named Donna who lives in Seabrook, Texas. Any chance you are one and the same?
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #49
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I know anyone in Spartanburg. Donna Nelson is a pretty common name. My unmarried last name was Vrba.
Old April 3, 2018   #50
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Gotcha! I thought maybe it's a small world...LOL. I just confirmed with her via Facebook. Anyway, happy tomato to you!! I grew up in Texas City.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #51
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post

Donna
Donna,I couldn't agree with you more as I'm sure you know from all the years we've known each other.

For many here it's become what I would call being overly scientific in how they grow their tomatoes and other crops.

I had intended to start a thread in either General Discussion or wherever to discuss, well, a bit of the following.

Person A will say I switched from growing only hybrids to OP heirlooms and I'm seeing so much more diseases, I need help.

Fact. The most common tomato diseases,worldwide are ones that infect the foliage, and F1 hybrids don't have any effective/useful,not resistances, rather tolerances against foliage diseases. Dr. Randy Gardner,now deceased, developed a few but it mean instead of spraying every 3 to 4 days you could go out to 5 to 7 days, which was indeed a large savings on the cost of the sprays as well as labor costs for those with large commercial tomato farms.

Person B might say....I find that using lights with X #of lumens, and leaving them on for 12 hrs each day works best.

Who cares about how many lumens, I never did, my large plant stand was 4 feet long and 4 tiers high and for each tier, there were 4 bulbs,one warm and one white one each side. Why would I care how many lumens, etc,if the seedlings I grew were pretty darn good, that was enough for me.

Then we get into the continual arguments about switching which fertilizers/amendments to use as plants mature. Use only 5-2-5 at first, then switch to 6-8-12 later, and on and on.

So yes, Donna,I agree with you completely that new gardeners here are no longer served well in my opinion.

Carolyn, reminding herself to em Rob,since someone met him down in town and he said he wanted to get up here and talk seeds again,some for me, some for him and some for both of us and he sows the seeds and raises the seedlings for both of us..I just found out he's getting married,he talks at about 80 wpm,so he must have found a woman who also talks that fast.
Old April 3, 2018   #52
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Donna,I couldn't agree with you more as I'm sure you know from all the years we've known each other.

For many here it's become what I would call being overly scientific in how they grow their tomatoes and other crops.

I had intended to start a thread in either General Discussion or wherever to discuss, well, a bit of the following.

Person A will say I switched from growing only hybrids to OP heirlooms and I'm seeing so much more diseases, I need help.

Fact. The most common tomato diseases,worldwide are ones that infect the foliage, and F1 hybrids don't have any effective/useful,not resistances, rather tolerances against foliage diseases. Dr. Randy Gardner,now deceased, developed a few but it mean instead of spraying every 3 to 4 days you could go out to 5 to 7 days, which was indeed a large savings on the cost of the sprays as well as labor costs for those with large commercial tomato farms.

Person B might say....I find that using lights with X #of lumens, and leaving them on for 12 hrs each day works best.

Who cares about how many lumens, I never did, my large plant stand was 4 feet long and 4 tiers high and for each tier, there were 4 bulbs,one warm and one white one each side. Why would I care how many lumens, etc,if the seedlings I grew were pretty darn good, that was enough for me.

Then we get into the continual arguments about switching which fertilizers/amendments to use as plants mature. Use only 5-2-5 at first, then switch to 6-8-12 later, and on and on.

So yes, Donna,I agree with you completely that new gardeners here are no longer served well in my opinion.

Carolyn, reminding herself to em Rob,since someone met him down in town and he said he wanted to get up here and talk seeds again,some for me, some for him and some for both of us and he sows the seeds and raises the seedlings for both of us..I just found out he's getting married,he talks at about 80 wpm,so he must have found a woman who also talks that fast.
You were a great teacher to so many of us and you still are. Thank you so much for not looking down your nose at us, judging us, our thinking we were "silly" because we held certain beliefs.. Donna
Old April 3, 2018   #53
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I cannot even express how much I regret that a simply intended thread regarding older sayings and thoughts that have passed down through many generations and folkways could have become so overwhelming twisted and used for whatever intents I don't have a clue...and don't want to...on EASTER SUNDAY of all days!
The Old Folks say "No good deed goes unpunished."

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Donna
Old April 3, 2018   #54
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I do not take part in the areas I have no interest and those I have no expertise. Still, there are plenty of threads for the beginner (ask those questions because there are plenty who will try and answer and there will be varied opinions which will not become heated). There are also some threads for the intermediate growers. And yes, there are some advanced topics.

I must be naive or just miss out on the side-taking bits.

Not a gardening saying but my old Dad used to tell me: Even a fish would not get into trouble if he kept his big mouth shut.

And this old timer says: Wait till next year.
Old April 3, 2018   #55
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Blessings to all and peace be with you.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #56
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mensplace, your thread here has made me think, and I appreciate that. Thank you
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #57
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Recently I read this quote, attributed to Einstein :

If "A" is success ;
Then A = x + y + z , where
x is work
y is play
z is to keep your mouth shut.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Unless I've burned something that has nails in it I always put the wood ashes on our garden. The old timers knew what they were doing.
I have researched wood ash and it is not all the same.
I think hardwood contains more calcium carbonate than soft woods.
No nitrogen and no sulfur as it goes up in a gas as the wood it burned.
It has some potassium in it.
I have a problem with high pH so I dont use it here but have in other places.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #59
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I do not use wood ash either. It is very high in calcium and it raises the pH of soil. My garden already has an excess of calcium and I don't want the pH to go higher so you really have to be careful listening to blanket statements like "old timers say to add wood ash".

Garden soils across the country and even across the street can be very different from each other and will not benefit from the same amendments.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #60
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I use a lot of wood ash in combination with fall leaves and pine straw. Plus my native soil is on the acidic side.beside calcium, wood ash is rich in potassium.
I will run a pH test tomorrow. Last year I did my own pH test and also got lab test. They were close for all intent and purposes.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote