Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 24, 2011   #16
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

bulbs on the top of the leaves like a flower bud? I never seen mine flower, I am watching 2 plants that overwinter to see if I get seeds to start them like onions in February indoors.
Old May 25, 2011   #17
th3nd3rson
Tomatovillian™

Lowly,

Of the two dozen or so that I planted last fall, three currently show growth at the top that look like they may want to be flowers some day. Since this is my first time planting these, I can't really answer your question as to whether to cut them off or not. However, I do have these potential flowers appearing on my plants.

Then again, I could be looking at onions, which I planted along with the shallots. I've got to start writing things down!
th3nd3rson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011   #18
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

If you planted shallot seed from Territorial they are all F1 hybrids and wont produce "true to type" seed, so you might as well break off the spathe (flower) and let the plant put as much energy as possible into the bulbs. I planted both ambition and bonilla last fall and they are getting close to harvest size now. Ambition is a great variety, large and tasty. I want to try the camelot this fall as well, looks like a good one. I think it is possible to propagate from bulbs, so once your plants are mature you can harvest them and hold some for fall planting. Good luck!
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Are there long and short day shallots? The guide from U of A says to plant short day onions and long day shallots. I've not seen any shallots that specify.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #20
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I'm in a long-day area, so I don't really know for sure, but I dion't think there are any true short-day shallots. The originals were from Europe, so mid-length days.

I think they'll grow in the south, but generally be dissapointing. Most shallots are dissapointing in my area too: high sulfur soils make for lots of allicin, obscuring the subtle flavors of better varieties. I do grow potato onions (a coarse cousin of the shallot) every year...flavor is no different than other onions but they are so very easy and low-demand. They also keep remarkably well; never a problem storing them for up to a year.
Old July 15, 2011   #21
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I tested an idea and planted both big fat bulbs and narrow bulbs and as I suspected the fat bulbs produced many narrow bulbs while the narrow bulbs prodcued 3-4 fat bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shallots 2011w.jpg (150.8 KB, 26 views)
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #22
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I am looking for French Shallot sets or indeed any type at this point(bulbs) for planting now in Canada and am not having any success, I can get seeds but want bulbs, there are several suppliers in the US but they won't send bulbs to Canada..help

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #23
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Anne, maybe try these guys
http://www.augustsharvest.com/index.html
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #24
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I get mine at the grocery store. I cut the tops for use, and plant the bulbs. You may not be able to eat you cake and have it too, but you can eat your shallots and have them too.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #25
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Full Moon, thank you, I did look and was unsure of what variety they were selling so have mailed them.

I have found and ordered some of the named vareties I was looking fior at Richters Herbs but very expensive, but still on the hun t for others.

Thank you also to Keith.. I have tried that too but realkly want to re-establish my named ones.

There seems to be many available in the US just not here.,

I appreciate the answers.
Old August 1, 2011   #26
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

If you plant your shallot bulbs now when are they going to be ready to harvest?

This is my first year growing in Canada and from what I'm seing in my community garden alliums are THE thing to grow here.

Which ones do you recommend?

I've planted 3 different types of onions are they are doing very well. I want to plant garlic in the fall. I'm investigating wich ones works good.
Old August 1, 2011   #27
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

fullmoon,
heard good things about music garlic. I have crysallis purple, it's ok but the bulbs are getting smaller after 3 years. Also have another hardneck from a farmer's and no name but produces well and good size too.
Old August 1, 2011   #28
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Wendy from what I'm reading "music" seems to be one of the most popular.
Old August 2, 2011   #29
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Some shallots are Spring planted and some are fall planted.

Ones I am looking for are Longor,Longe de Bretagne,GriseFell,Griselle,Pikant,red Sun.Mikor, Pesandor, Banana.

There are lots in the UK a goof few in the US but very few in Canada.

XX Jeannine
Old August 2, 2011   #30
salix
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with your search, Jeannine. I have only been growing the various F1 varieties available in the various catalogues. They are OK, well, even better than OK, but would really prefer to grow OP varieties and save seed.

Full Moon, I like to plant a great variety of garlic, just to try them and see what does best in my area/garden. So far, Fish Lake and Czeck do very well (I like large cloves) and they store as well as any of the others.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote