Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 12, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine From Croatia - First Ripe Fruit (pics)

Well, "It's been a long time coming", as David Crosby would sing... but the Brandywine from Croatia are finally producing ripe fruit:

The plants are huge - - larger than any other variety in the garden today.

The initial fruit (120 days after transplanting the seedlings back in April) look very uniform and solid, weighing in at just under a pound:

This one held nice and firm for slicing:

I have learned that initial fruit is sometimes bland, and that as the Summer progresses, the fruit will become more intense. I surmise that to be the case here, as while it was a good tasting tomato, it lacks depth that I've come to expect from Brandywines.

Goose Creek still ranks as my Number 1, followed by Soren's MarNar as my Number 2 which was a pleasant surprise to me this year. Again, I'll wait another few weeks to pull some fully vine ripened fruit to do a taste comparison vs. Sudduth. But so far, Brandywine from Croatia is indeed a beautiful looking tomato.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #2
nicky
Tomatovillian™

What a beautiful fruit! It's gorgeous Raybo. Wow am I ever hungry - thanks
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, it don't get much better than that. Ami
Old August 13, 2011   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Nice photos, Ray. Looks delicious and I hope the flavor improves for you later in the season. I know the weather has been strange and a bit cool there. I was almost going to ask you based on the sliced shot if maybe it was a red, then I looked at the unsliced photo and can see it's obviously pink.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

It does appear to be a pink type to me as well.

This particular tomato came from the North facing side of the plant, which hardly gets any Sun. My hope is that those more in direct sunlight will have a bolder flavor. Perhaps this is just wishful thinking - - and as others have observed that taste improves with the Season, I am hoping the Brandywine from Croatia will ultimately "taste as good as it looks".

Raybo
Old August 13, 2011   #6
Structure
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update and tasting notes. I look forward to hearing more. I've a particular interest in tomatoes from that part of the world so hearing about this interesting. And if the flavor doesn't improve, then it's one I don't have to put on my already too long next year list!
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Inquiring minds want to know. Did the flavor improve as the season progressed?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Nancy,

Yes, it did. Most reports from TV members are that the flavor of their tomatoes does indeed improve as the Season progresses. Again, remember this is a Pink variety - similar in taste to Stump of the World, so I never expected a "knock-your-socks-off" flavor rush as from a Red Brandywine type.

BTW, I still have tomatoes ripening on the Brandywine from Croatia plants today, New Years 2012. The foliage looks terrible, but the tomatoes keep on ripening.

Raybo