Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 14, 2013   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default An open secret for my fellow growers

A few years ago we discovered a tomato that has excellent taste when it is green and not ripe.

The tomato is Speckled Roman, and we sell green Speckled Roman and similar varieties we have bred from Speckled Roman, as Cetriolo tomatoes (Cetriolo = cucumber in Italian).

Restaurants buy cases for use in unique fresh salads. Two examples are

1. Slices of fresh Cetriolo tomatoes topped with Frisee and avocado with a spash of lemon juice and a dash of salt.

2. Slices of Cetriolo tomatoes alternating with real cucumbers, and dressed as you would a cucumber salad.

Since these green tomatoes are durable, and are available before our ripe tomatoes, we now sell most of our Speckled Roman as green "Cetriolo" tomatoes. The price per pound is 50 cents less than our best heirloom/gourmet tomatoes.

If you have Speckled Roman growing -- you may want to try a few un-ripe ones fresh. Slice them thin, and add citrus and salt to brighten the flavor.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm, I do have a few on the vine right now. Hate to sacrifice a known for an unknown though! Striped (Speckled) Roman is one of my very favorite tomatoes.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #3
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! I do not have Speckled Roman among the 120 varieties I am growing, though. Does anyone know if any other tomato works green like this? I hate to sacrifice any of my nice green tomatoes if they will just taste like, you know, green tomatoes. The closest I have in size and shape are Cream Sausage. Maybe I'll give them a try.
I love new ideas! Thanks!
Shawn
Old July 14, 2013   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It only takes one to figure out if it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Interesting! I do not have Speckled Roman among the 120 varieties I am growing, though. Does anyone know if any other tomato works green like this? I hate to sacrifice any of my nice green tomatoes if they will just taste like, you know, green tomatoes. The closest I have in size and shape are Cream Sausage. Maybe I'll give them a try.
I love new ideas! Thanks!
Shawn
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote