Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 10, 2006   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default starting from seeds

Tomatoes and peppers I know a bit about, but not herbs. Is the process close to the same, how about the time schedule, etc. Our seeds will be coming from SSE and last frost is about May 1 and will be grown in raised beds filled with compost and sandy loam soil.

Thanks for any help,
Paul
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Pretty easy for the most part. Basil is incredible - sprinkle some seeds on soilless mix, sprinkle some mix over the seeds (shallow plant), spray with bit of water, loosely cover - they are up in 3 days! I've had similar luck with summer savory and thyme. Parsley is slow. Dill is easy. Borage is easy and fun. Rosemary is slow and seed viability is awful.

The main thing with herbs is that they lose viability very quickly.
Old February 10, 2006   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, parsley is slow. I start it ten weeks before planting outside. It can take up to a month just to germinate (mine has never taken that long with fresh seed though) and it's a slow grower. I continue to grow it from seed because I can keep it outside all winter and just about the time I can cut off my new plants, the ones from the previous year finally start to go to seed. If I buy a transplant, it goes to seed sooner. I like the Italian flat leaf kind.

Basil is quick and easy. And if you don't want to start it indoors you can always just start it in the garden.
Old February 12, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

THE NEW SEED STARTERS HANDBOOK (by Nancy Bubel)has a whole chapter on starting herbs from seeds.
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2006   #5
Althea
Tomatovillian™

My experience with basil, and many others mentioned is the same as what has already been posted.

This article in The Herb Companion might be useful.

http://www.herbcompanion.com/articles/02_03_06-seeds
Old May 11, 2006   #6
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default herbs

I have parsely growing out of my ears , i even saw it under snow, still green ???!!!! I have it in my strawberry patch. I planted it last yr and it didn't do so good, but this yr "WOW ",
I am having trouble iwth Heartscense? and lemon balm can i get some grownig tips , only about 4 of the 12 of the lemon balm grew and only 2 are maybe 1/2 " the rest are little ity bity things that when i water go under and take a day or two to recupeerate.
My cilatntro is gong like crazy too, but the new ones this yr bombed. It seems like the more i ignore my herbs the better they grow? and the more attention i give them "well " they don't grow? Is this some kind of sick herb humor they have ? lol
thanks
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote