Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 3, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Scotch Bonnet pepper seeds

Been reading up on these and would like to try to grow 3 or 4 plants but am having problems finding them locally.Who would be a good source to buy from.I have some Hot Long Cayenne and Jalapeno started and on my heat mat since last Sunday.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2018   #2
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Trade Winds Fruit is a great and well-priced source of seeds, I've found. Their variety and shipping charges are quite reasonable, and I've had good success with their germination, also. http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/scotc...ican-red-seeds

If you want to save yourself some work, time, and money, Hirt's Gardens on Ridge Road in Wadsworth sells both red and yellow Scotch Bonnet seedlings for 4/$1.99. They should be getting them in in another month or so. You could always call them, too. Wouldn't be a far drive for you, and their selection is huge especially for peppers. https://hirts.com/jamaican-hot-red-s...4-live-plants/

They don't get great reviews for shipped plants, but when you're buying them in person you get to pick, and their onsite prices are way better than what they advertise online.
I usually get my SunSugar tomato seedlings from them. Cheaper than buying the seeds and doing it myself.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2018   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Trade Winds Fruit is a great and well-priced source of seeds, I've found. Their variety and shipping charges are quite reasonable, and I've had good success with their germination, also. http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/scotc...ican-red-seeds

If you want to save yourself some work, time, and money, Hirt's Gardens on Ridge Road in Wadsworth sells both red and yellow Scotch Bonnet seedlings for 4/$1.99. They should be getting them in in another month or so. You could always call them, too. Wouldn't be a far drive for you, and their selection is huge especially for peppers. https://hirts.com/jamaican-hot-red-s...4-live-plants/

They don't get great reviews for shipped plants, but when you're buying them in person you get to pick, and their onsite prices are way better than what they advertise online.
I usually get my SunSugar tomato seedlings from them. Cheaper than buying the seeds and doing it myself.
My daughter lives in Wadsworth off of RT261,I really wanted to grow them but if I can't find any then I'll give them a call Thanks!
Old March 4, 2018   #4
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I recently bought some White Fatalii seeds at whitehotpeppers.com As a bonus, they sent me some Fatalii x Scotch Bonnet cross seeds. I'm gonna try to grow them out this season, and with any luck, I'll have seeds to share next year. If you're interested....

Jon
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jon,let me know how they do.I found a Hot Jamaican Red that is close to the Scotch Bonnet.It's supposed to be a Heirloom pepper and at 70 days an early one.Heat at 100000 to 200000.Thin walled squash type.Local nursery had them from Lake Valley seed company.I started seeds yesterday.I can seed you some in return.
Old March 5, 2018   #6
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

@ cjp...

I will hopefully get them started this week. I'm still trying to figure out where they're gonna fit into my garden. The pepper side of things is pretty crowded this year!

Jon
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

That's my problem every year.I need to make it larger but I do no till and it takes a few years to get the ground where I like it.
Old March 9, 2018   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Had a seed pop through today, 5 days after planting,
Old March 10, 2018   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I was at Hartville Hardware yesterday and saw them there. I couldn't remember if it was red scotch bonnet or not though so I left them. glad I did.
Old March 10, 2018   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I was at Hartville Hardware yesterday and saw them there. I couldn't remember if it was red scotch bonnet or not though so I left them. glad I did.
Have not been there yet this year.My sweet peppers are not up yet and am thinking of getting some fresh seeds with a early type.Might look for Corno Di Toro Rosso.The Nardello seeds are a few years old as are the Cubanella.I'll start a small tray of them if I can find them this morning.
Old March 10, 2018   #11
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Red Scotch Bonnet makes a really nice powder.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #12
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

After looking at 4 different places this morning looking for Corno Di Toro Rosso,I found a Sweet Pepper blend of 50% Corno Di Toro(bull horn)and 50% Sweet Banana pepper mix.The problem with this is that they are loose seeds in the pack and I don't know what I'll get.I put three seeds per cell and did 9 cells.The other problem is it's from Burpees.I think they are over priced but these where only $1.99 at Home Depot and since I could not find them anywhere else and wanted to plant them today I took the chance.Don't know anything about their Sweet Banana peppers other than it's supposed to be a sweet pepper.Anyone try these?Please let me know how they did.Thanks.
Old March 10, 2018   #13
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
After looking at 4 different places this morning looking for Corno Di Toro Rosso,I found a Sweet Pepper blend of 50% Corno Di Toro(bull horn)and 50% Sweet Banana pepper mix.The problem with this is that they are loose seeds in the pack and I don't know what I'll get.I put three seeds per cell and did 9 cells.The other problem is it's from Burpees.I think they are over priced but these where only $1.99 at Home Depot and since I could not find them anywhere else and wanted to plant them today I took the chance.Don't know anything about their Sweet Banana peppers other than it's supposed to be a sweet pepper.Anyone try these?Please let me know how they did.Thanks.
Try Tradewind Fruits: http://http://www.tradewindsfruit.co...o-pepper-seeds

They have Corno di Toro Red AND also Corno di Toro Orange (which are awesomely better than the yellow version.) $2.00/pk.

Also, I know for certain that Hirt's has offered both the Red and the Yellows in 4-paks for $1.99 each of the past several years, if you want to buy the starts from them instead of seeds.

I can check if I have any extra seeds if you'd like. I know I do have one called Corno di Capra that I got last year from Tradewinds but never grew. They're supposed to pack a little heat but otherwise same as the Corno di Toro Red (Rosso).

Don't feel like you're stuck.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #14
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Don't know anything about their Sweet Banana peppers other than it's supposed to be a sweet pepper.Anyone try these?Please let me know how they did.Thanks.
I am trying Corno di Toro Rosso for the first time this year. As far as the Sweet Banana Peppers go, I slice them along with hots in my lunch meat sandwiches (hoagies, poboys, grinders), hot dogs, pizza, etc... and other things to. They are a very good and versatile condiment.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Burpees is WAY overpriced. I bought them because I can't get them anywhere else and we like them... 4th of July. there is not another like it that I have found. I got them at TSC and they were market 4.19 a packet -25% and rang up at 3.19... still way over priced but I didn't pay shipping and I will have them for next year.