Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 25, 2016   #16
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by braybright View Post
dfollett, depending on how much help you are looking for, I'd be interested in growing out some of those F4 black micros. It looks like we are neighbors, I'm in Davis County.
I drive through Davis County to and from work four days a week. If you intend to grow them this winter, I can meet you to give you some or PM me your address and I'll send them. I have enough to send some out to two or three folks, but I'd like to have them grown before spring so I can learn how they do in different conditions.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Good to know about the osmokote.
I'm starting a tray, 36 cell square, next week when i set up my winter micro greens. I've got GoldPearl, RedRobin, RemyRouge and Russian swirl. Starting maybe 6 seeds of each and growing out the smallest and strong...leaves room for more.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I expect to have at least one good one, hopefully more. I grew two F3's this summer that were black, multiflora and only reached 12" in height outside. They came from a cross with Margaret Curtain. Both were PL and had large-cherry sized black fruits. One was good tasting - the other was really good tasting. I'm growing the F4s now. (If you have a place to grow some this winter, I could send you some F4 seeds to see how they do for you.)

I don't have a good feel for their productivity because deer got all the early fruit of everything this year. However, they blossomed extremely heavily before the deer got them. I put an electric fence around the garden and was able to get later fruit from most, but I can't evaluate earliness or productivity for anything.
that is a tempting offer... pm me your addy and we can do a trade or I can send a SASE

Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Regarding Osmocote, there are many Osmocote products. The two that I see sold at stores are the 19-6-12 with a pink label and the 14-14-14 with a green label. I think the former is meant for plant starts that will be transplanted into a garden and the latter is best for container plants grown through fruiting stage.

My Hummert catalog has an Osmocote "mini-prill plus micros" product that looks neat, but they only sell it by the 50-lb bag, so I have never tried it. My pepper plants and micro toms seem to be fine with just the 14-14-14. For larger plants, an occasional watering with a light miracle-grow type of fertilizer would supplement micros.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #20
oakley
Tomatovillian™

This is the one i have in the garden shed...
Attached Images
File Type: png osmokote.png (70.5 KB, 319 views)
Old October 25, 2016   #21
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Red Robin is nice, but needs some support.. at least for me.
A similar growth habit, but better tasting, is the one called Mohamed. Sweet as candy!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #22
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I think I would probably have need for two different kinds of micro multis. For the type growing outside during the Spring through fall seasons, and one for indoor growing during cold weather. The outdoor 1 would need to be very bushy but not so much that it would need pruning, and most important qualities would be good flavor and high production. The inside version I'm not sure what qualities I would prefer but I hope to find out this year.
Old October 25, 2016   #23
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Regarding Osmocote, there are many Osmocote products. The two that I see sold at stores are the 19-6-12 with a pink label and the 14-14-14 with a green label. I think the former is meant for plant starts that will be transplanted into a garden and the latter is best for container plants grown through fruiting stage.

My Hummert catalog has an Osmocote "mini-prill plus micros" product that looks neat, but they only sell it by the 50-lb bag, so I have never tried it. My pepper plants and micro toms seem to be fine with just the 14-14-14. For larger plants, an occasional watering with a light miracle-grow type of fertilizer would supplement micros.
I purchased "Osmocote Classic" (14-14-14) from a local Ag/Feed/Nursery supply place for $86 for 50 lb. That works out to $1.72/lb compared to $3.50-$5.00/lb at home depot. Needless to say, I haven't needed to purchase any for a while.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #24
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I've grown several types of Red Robin and similar varieties. I've always come back to RR. I typically plant two in a 10" basket. Certainly not the best tomatoes, but very, very early and the best tasting (IMO) of the similar types. That said, I've never grown Micro Tom, so I want to try it this year. I did grow a similar variety "Florida Basket" IIRC.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016   #25
oakley
Tomatovillian™

One of 3 36cell trays i started Nov. 6th (daylight savings). Also microgreens in a rotation of trays started every Sunday, and a tray of dwarf sunflowers...

I've had about 90% germination rate.

I've culled about 50% over the three weeks...some sprinters and jump-the-gunners.
...and i see a few more non-PL.
Nothing too exciting yet but well under way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micros week-3.jpg (589.1 KB, 268 views)
Old December 13, 2016   #26
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing micros/very short dwarfs for a few years now. I want plants that fit neatly on a windowsill, so I want it to grow in a 1 gallon/8inch pot, stay 18inches or under, require no staking or at most a 1ft 3ring support, and taste "nice". The last part is of course subjective

So far, ones that I have grown that met all of those criteria and I would grow again are:
506 Dwarf Bush Early
Bajaja
Little Sun
Mega Bite / Megabyte
Red Profusion
Red Robin
Sweet N Neat Scarlet Improved

Ones that failed are:
Cherriettes of Fire - too fleshy but small
Heartbreaker Vita F1: Too sprawling
Micro Tom: Too sour
Orangenie: Unpleasant fruit prone to splitting
PickATom: Too sour and tough skin
Red Alert: Tasty but too tall for indoors
Romanian Red: Sprawls 2ft by 3ft and has tiny, mediocre fruit.
Sweet N Neat Cherry: Too sprawling
Sweet N Neat Yellow: Too sprawling
Tiny Tim - Major etiolation (3ft). OK flavour, very fleshy.
Totem: Too mealy and fleshy. And tall.
Venus - very sour

I've more types to try next year!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #27
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That is very interesting. I've never seen a PL dwarf/micro before. I've had the same quest for an ideal micro for at least ten years.. This year I will also try Mohamed and Aztek. Please let us know as your experiment unfolds!
GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 14, 2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old December 14, 2016   #28
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I have not grown Aztek yet, but have seeds for it, and will give it a try next year, hopefully.
It seems to be liked and recommended by several people here, so I'm curious.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #29
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

While I'm thinking about micros and dwarfs, here's a plug for a few from Vegetalis (UK) These are all F1 varieties, AFAIK.

www.http://vegetalis.com/

Sweet 'n Neat Scarlet Improved. Very similar to Red Robin, perhaps doesn't taste quite so sweet.

Tumbling Tom Junior Yellow. A more restrained version of the TT's. It didn't taste very good at the start of the season, but as the temps warmed up it got better. Hard to find.

Tumbling Tiger. Another restrained size variety. Red with green stripes. Pretty good flavor.

Red Profusion. A full-sized "tumbling" type plant that is very early and has 360 degree branching. Good taste, but not quite as good overall as the original Tumbling Tom Red IMO.

Tumbling Tom Red. The best of the bunch, I think. But later than most of the others at 70 days or so.

Also, Rejina (not Vegetalis) from Casey's Seeds. Another Red Robin, but to me has minimal differences.

-GG
Old December 14, 2016   #30
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Couldn't resist the temptation and planted a little group of your purple cherry PL micro F4 labelled 11X-F4-6-1.
happy to have them to enjoy their cuteness on my desk under a lamp for now. will have to move them when I pot them up but they are keeping me company while they are babies. Thank you for the seed, I will certainly let you know how they do and return seed to you of any that show the characteristics you want.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote