Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 12, 2018   #6706
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if it was the same brand, but I've eaten sweet potato tots and they are delicious. I enjoy pairing them with something I plan on cooking in the oven and cooking both in the same pan.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #6707
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Their Waffle Fries are really good too.
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #6708
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been lazy all day after feeling like I had heat exhaustion yesterday. It's hot here and too early to be this hot. 91 under the carport, WOW=too early.

I did get up early and helped my sister set up for a farmers market then stopped by the store and scored a $10 rack of beef ribs. I cooked them on the drum smoker using oak, these are so addicting. I added onions, bell peppers and bbq sauce to spice up a can of baked beans. I ate this about 3 today and I'm watching the race snacking on ribs.

I'm on my own till tomorrow so I only needed ribs and beans. Tomorrow I'm boiling crawfish for Mothers Day.

My killer Shih Tzu also loves the rib snacks he's been getting. We're having a Redneck testosterone day, BBQ, cocktails and NASCAR.

I hope everyone had a good day eating, transplanting and checking on the garden!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2170.JPG (425.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2172.JPG (309.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2179.JPG (253.2 KB, 63 views)
Old May 12, 2018   #6709
imp
Tomatovillian™

Lots of things to make with a left over sweet potatoes; pat them dry and fry them, gnocchi with ricotta cheese and pesto, pop overs or a twist on Yorkshire puddings, sweet potato custard tarts.....

I like Cheetos and I really like cranberry sauce , the smooth canned one, with turkey or pork or even with some fish. I like cranberry vanilla custard ice cream, too, made with the chunky canned cranberry sauce in the homemade ice cream; cranberry sorbet made with the smooth canned jelly is good in the summer, too.

Even jalapeno ice cream can be good ( I used to only use the red ripe ones for that hint of sweet and lovely color), though since Rob isn't here to eat it, I no longer make it.

Everyone has their own tastes in foods.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #6710
imp
Tomatovillian™

Those ribs look so juicy and tasty! The beans, too.
Old May 13, 2018   #6711
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Imp.

I stripped the meat off a rib and made little corn tortilla tacos. These were good, so simple using what I had.

Leo, the killer Shih Tzu had a great day, he was sleeping so hard he didn't wake up after the first pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2183.JPG (301.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2186.JPG (331.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2187.JPG (312.2 KB, 54 views)
Old May 13, 2018   #6712
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
This week I've been trying to do some cheap eaten that the grandchildren like. One night we had salad - they loved it. Tonight, Jan fixed some shrimp stir fry with broccoli, onions, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and mushrooms - they liked that enough for two plates.
Apparently, I didn't give an accurate enough description of the meal above - because both mothers in our house want shrimp stir fry for Mother's Day dinner... along with some homemade eggrolls. We will be adding sugar snap peas, baby corn, and possibly Hokkien noodles (We have not tried them.) I was thinking they look like Udon noodles just a little smaller. Udon noodles are from Japan and Hokkien noodles are from China. I thought they all come from HEB (A grocery store in Texas) If for some reason we don't like the Hokkien noodles - there are Nissin brand ramen noodles in the pantry that can take their place.

The homemade egg rolls will also be shrimp, cabbage instead of bok choy, bean spouts, and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. Of course, the mothers chose the ingredients and what we're going to eat. I'll be teaching our son and DIL how to steam broccoli in the microwave. When done using plastic wrap over the ramekin - the broccoli doesn't lose its taste/flavor, and you can add more to the taste/flavor with spices and the like.

Cheesecake for dessert. It's odd having desserts twice a week for us, but it's mother's day.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 13, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #6713
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Macaroni Soup. Very simple. Boil macaroni. Add beef bouillon cubes to make a tasty broth. That's it. Yum. From my childhood.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #6714
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Rob, sweet potato tater tots? I need them!
Old May 13, 2018   #6715
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Apparently, I didn't give an accurate enough description of the meal above - because both mothers in our house want shrimp stir fry for Mother's Day dinner... along with some homemade eggrolls. We will be adding sugar snap peas, baby corn, and possibly Hokkien noodles (We have not tried them.) I was thinking they look like Udon noodles just a little smaller. Udon noodles are from Japan and Hokkien noodles are from China. I thought they all come from HEB (A grocery store in Texas) If for some reason we don't like the Hokkien noodles - there are Nissin brand ramen noodles in the pantry that can take their place.

The homemade egg rolls will also be shrimp, cabbage instead of bok choy, bean spouts, and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. Of course, the mothers chose the ingredients and what we're going to eat. I'll be teaching our son and DIL how to steam broccoli in the microwave. When done using plastic wrap over the ramekin - the broccoli doesn't lose its taste/flavor, and you can add more to the taste/flavor with spices and the like.

Cheesecake for dessert. It's odd having desserts twice a week for us, but it's mother's day.
Sounds yummy, Salt! You will please post as to the noodles? I have some dried, but haven't used them as yet, curious as to flavor, etc..
Old May 13, 2018   #6716
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I stopped off at the store to get something to eat.
I didn't want to go to the store but as I put my signal light on to get onto the feed ramp to get on the highway the person in that lane floored it and cut me off.
So I stopped at the store and got out fast with only one or two things.
It was like I had somehow ended up in the middle of the great wildebeest migration of Africa.
So what ever I have tonight will involve eggs and bacon or maybe pasta.

Here is a Picture of the HEB in Bastrop the day before Mothers day.

Old May 13, 2018   #6717
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Sounds yummy, Salt! You will please post as to the noodles? I have some dried, but haven't used them as yet, curious as to flavor, etc..
Our findings - The Hokkien noodles are noodles. Nothing special or different about them.
Old May 13, 2018   #6718
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

More expensive than regular noodles.
Old May 13, 2018   #6719
imp
Tomatovillian™

I also have some dried udon noodles that I haven't used as yet... hmmm.

Was a lazy cook this evening, made more tacos, but instead of the tortillas, used bigger leafs of lettuce as the wrap. Good and not too heavy for the hot weather.
Old May 14, 2018   #6720
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Imp, we have already gone to the quick summer meals here too.