Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 9, 2018   #6841
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

This is just a thought that I had tonight. I've been wanting some Buffalo wings that I cook at home, but they take a while to cook the way I make them. First, I will explain that:

I almost always make seasoned potato wedges with Buffalo wings, so I get them ready and baking at 400F before starting the Buffalo wings.

I cut the wings at the joints.
Toss them in flour.
Fry them for around a minute-and-a-half on each side in a little oil. *
Then put them in a bowl of hot sauce with melted butter. (Jan likes Franks brand)
Arrange them in a 13x9, Pyrex, or other pan.
Cover in foil for the first 20 minutes of cooking time after lowering the oven temp to 350F.
Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes.

* Frying them seals in juices and gives them a little crisp texture.

My thought tonight is to do the steps above, but instead of using the oven which heats the house in summertime is to use the smoker outside. For the first 15 minutes - smoke them without the hot sauce. Then add the hot sauce and cover with foil for another 15 minutes or until done. = Smoked Buffalo wings.

There might be some who read this that do not know the history of Buffalo wings. The person who came up with Buffalo wings was in Buffalo, New York.
No big hairy cow like animals involved
We omit the blue cheese because none of us like blue cheese.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 9, 2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: blue cheese
AlittleSalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6842
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Robert,

I've eaten buffalo wings in the bar in Buffalo where they originated. I think it was the ladies son and his friends who wanted a late night snack, but she only had some chicken wings left to cook at the end of the day. She used the chicken wings, some Franks Original hot sauce; and butter and started a craze. The original wings were not my favorite because they were not hot enough for me. A bar in Painted Post, New York served them at three different heat levels. They were my favorite wings.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6843
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quick skewers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180609_154306.jpg (367.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180609_190249.jpg (238.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180609_202523.jpg (484.1 KB, 58 views)
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6844
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Those skewers look delicious. I grilled some jalapenos yesterday with some ribs. The ribs were delicious and the jalapenos were the finishing touch to the meal. It was like eating spicy candy.
Old June 10, 2018   #6845
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The skewers look good.

I had some (non pre-fried) oven baked buffalo wings made by a good friend from Buffalo New York of all places.
He was as drunk as a skunk at the time.
Said they were real authentic ((Buffalo Wings)).

They were the slimiest nastiest rubbery things I have ever had, nor did they resemble any buffalo wing I ever saw in my life.

Yesterday I had two BLT's and several/way too many ((real)) soft tacos made from corn tortillas NOT flour.

Worth
Old June 10, 2018   #6846
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

No such thing as too many tacos, Worth.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6847
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The skewers look good.

(snipped)

Yesterday I had two BLT's and several/way too many ((real)) soft tacos made from corn tortillas NOT flour.

Worth

All tacos are "real" , depending on what one wants or likes. Choice of what kind of tortilla doesn't make one more "authentic" or ((real)) than another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco

A taco (/ˈtɑːkoʊ/, UK also /ˈtækoʊ/, Spanish: [ˈtako]) is a traditional Mexican dish consisting of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. A taco can be made with a variety of fillings, including beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables, and cheese, allowing great versatility and variety. Tacos are generally eaten without utensils, often garnished with salsa, chili pepper, avocado, guacamole, cilantro (coriander), tomatoes, onions, and lettuce.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6848
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Old June 10, 2018   #6849
bower
Tomatovillian™

Those skewers look great. If I had the veggies to make em, I swear I'd build a barbecue.

I just had leftover liver and onions with rice for supper. It was great to heat up supper in 5 minutes and chow down after a hard day's work with so little effort. It was pretty cheap too since I squeezed two meals out of it.

But I still have room for one a dem skewers... Never mind, I'll have a piece of cake....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6850
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Meatball-Barley Stroganoff. Cook up barley in beef broth and liquid from canned mushrooms. Fry little meatballs and onions, or just brown the ground meat with onions without making meatballs. Add canned mushrooms. Add sour cream. One dish, easy, awesome tasty.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6851
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Meatball-Barley Stroganoff. Cook up barley in beef broth and liquid from canned mushrooms. Fry little meatballs and onions, or just brown the ground meat with onions without making meatballs. Add canned mushrooms. Add sour cream. One dish, easy, awesome tasty.

Nan

Sounds good for a cold weather dish, will have to remember for winter time.
Old June 10, 2018   #6852
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Tried the Strawberry Frozen Yogurt just now. It is good! It did not work quite the way the recipe said, but it did work. I used fresh strawerries I had washed, hulled and put in the freezer yesterday. They were huge berries but frozen individually, not in a block. I put the yogurt in first like it said, then the Strawberries after I let them sit out 10 minutes, which I have heard might help. Turned it on varaiable 1, slowly turned the dial to 10 and then started using the tamper. Nothing was happening. I had to jam that tamper in as hard as I could for several minutes before they started to break up at all, then it went quickly. But I was slamming that thing in as hard as I could for a couple of minutes at least. Holy Cow. I don't think the blades were even touching them. In the future I would use smaller berries or maybe half or quarter them before freezing so they fit down into the blades. That might help.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #6853
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

"I just had leftover liver and onions with rice for supper."

Bower,

I love liver and onions with brown gravy. While I like rice, I prefer mashed potatoes with my liver and onions. No one in my family will eat it, so I haven't eaten it in many years. I think most people who like it probably grew up poor and liver was a cheap option for feeding the family.
Old June 11, 2018   #6854
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Those skewers look great. If I had the veggies to make em, I swear I'd build a barbecue.

I just had leftover liver and onions with rice for supper. It was great to heat up supper in 5 minutes and chow down after a hard day's work with so little effort. It was pretty cheap too since I squeezed two meals out of it.

But I still have room for one a dem skewers... Never mind, I'll have a piece of cake....
I used to love beef liver and onions cooked with cream of mushroom soup. I used to crave it.

Beef liver is one of a very few things that I no longer crave. I don't know why, but my taste buds changed or something? (That's part of why I am replying) Why is it that our tastes change for some foods? I still love fried chicken livers. The only other thing that I can think of not liking anymore are sweet foods that are overly sweet.
Old June 11, 2018   #6855
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Tried the Strawberry Frozen Yogurt just now. It is good! It did not work quite the way the recipe said, but it did work. I used fresh strawerries I had washed, hulled and put in the freezer yesterday. They were huge berries but frozen individually, not in a block. I put the yogurt in first like it said, then the Strawberries after I let them sit out 10 minutes, which I have heard might help. Turned it on varaiable 1, slowly turned the dial to 10 and then started using the tamper. Nothing was happening. I had to jam that tamper in as hard as I could for several minutes before they started to break up at all, then it went quickly. But I was slamming that thing in as hard as I could for a couple of minutes at least. Holy Cow. I don't think the blades were even touching them. In the future I would use smaller berries or maybe half or quarter them before freezing so they fit down into the blades. That might help.

I know it's called a stomper or tamper, but you can just push down firmly on the tamper until you feel the blades engage the frozen fruit or whatever you are using and then hold it there until you feel it give way. If you were sort of bashing it in and out fast, well lots of work for less to little results, LOL. Sounds like you are fighting it instead of using the machine.

The really big strawberries I do cut up some so they fit more neatly and freeze at the same rate in the freezer, but it's not required really. I use fairly large chunks of frozen mangos often and the frozen dessert setting and often ignore the machine until it's done.

The folks at vitamix really are nice and helpful if you give them a call, and they love to problem solve for customers and give you tips on how to get more out of your machine, too.

Salt, Nan and Don, ya'll can have all my share of livers you want!!!! Gosh, I hate that stuff so much; still have memories of sleeping with my forehead in the mashed 'taters cause I wouldn't eat the liver as a kid. The Great Liver Wars between my Mom and me!!!